18-6, lights on for final 10 days of flower.?

I heard this technique on Grow from your heart podcast and am trying 18-6, lights on for final 10 days of flower. I’m about 4 days from harvest and the girls are looking hefty and no nanners… but too late to make seed

anyway. Anyone else doing this?

28 Likes

Looks great. Curious what the purpose of changing is?

2 Likes

I haven’t heard of it… what are they say the light increase would do for the plant ???:eyes:

4 Likes

Following like a fat kid behind an ice cream truck.

6 Likes

It is supposed to add volume and weight, Rasta Jeff swears by it.

6 Likes

https://youtu.be/wS1e1tAW0dE here is Rasta Jeff talking about it…he also does it with his seed stock immediately after impregnating his ladies.

4 Likes

Great grow @Qtip !

Nice work :sunglasses: :+1:

(18/6 at the end of flower is a new one for me)

Cheers
G

9 Likes

Wouldn’t that cause it to reveg slowing the bud growth? I could be wrong I just haven’t heard of this before either
Either way they look great

4 Likes

Against everything I’ve ever known!

8 Likes

I read somewhere recently that if you’re planning on re-vegging your plants, then switching to 18/6 for the last week or so would indeed be beneficial. If you’re not planning on re-vegging, though, I have no idea why you’d do that.

4 Likes

18/6 at the end of flowering? Interesting… I would be very interested to seeing empirical evidence rather than anecdotal evidence showing the benefits.

By empirical, I mean - an established grower showing multiple grows of the same genetics, perhaps clones that are the exact same age, size and health going into the final 2 weeks of flowering. Keep one in 12/12, put one in 18/6 and maybe another in 10/14. And do this for multiple grows that are documented and tallied after trimming and drying. Then maybe even check out the trichomes under a scope. And do this over multiple grows of the same strain.

In the meantime, TBH, I’m not super-motivated to increase my power consumption by upping my flowering lights “on” time by 50%!! I’d be more inclined to reduce it, though - but only if the evidence was there.

18 Likes

I usually drop mine to 10/14 to finish them up faster

8 Likes

To bump the energy bill up a lil bit.
Switching the plants to 18/6 would tell the plant to switch back to veg mode and focus on growing more leaf sets back.
Imo the radical change could be a recipe for negative but as the guy in the video states you will be chopping the plants down before you’d see signs of stress anyway.
I’d be willing to bet that this wasn’t experimented on with two clones and that they didn’t really weigh out the results.
There are very few places on the planet that the sun hours increase toward the end of the season so I’m skeptical at best and doubt the 50% increase in energy is justified in gains.

10 Likes

Also very few places on earth that plants grow in buckets of nutrient enriched oxygenated water under led lights :wink:

11 Likes

You are right
I shouldn’t have said anything
Everyone should experiment and learn on their own
Good luck

7 Likes

Yeah, it really makes zero sense. Like I said, I’ve heard about people who are planning on re-vegging their plants doing this, I guess in order to get them re-vegged faster after chop? I dunno.

Human beings have this weird idea, no clue where it came from, that they can “improve” on Mother Nature. Newsflash: you can’t improve on Mother Nature.

11 Likes

I love this answer.

I’m ALWAYS looking for empirical evidence to separate the bro science from the real.

5 Likes

First time ive heard this but as i said on your other thread plant looks amazing. So if thats what youre doing it seems it works. I would think the more hrs of light would cause issues but as you said last 10 days really isnt enough time to herm pollenate and seed the crop. Sounds interesting and worth trying out.

2 Likes

I’m the furthest thing from scientific. Switched to led half way through flower, first time with 9# clones, pushing more nutes AAAND 18-6 for last ten. Pure chaos lol! Thank you for everyone’s input. :pray:.

2 Likes

Better close up of 9# bud.

19 Likes