1st No Till grow - Grapefruit x Blueberry & Tangerine Power

Looking like a mighty fine mix to me grow is looking great @man-bot! Looking forward to the end product!

1 Like

Always wanted to try Chimera’s gear, especially the GF x BB. Subbed, looking forward to future updates :popcorn:

1 Like

Have you tried any of the Biomin products. I use their calcium and copper. Some people do not care about having organic. I only use organic. They are OMRI listed. This is the second grow I have used the calcium. The best part is you can foliar feed organic calcium…this has always been difficult.

https://customhydronutrients.com/-c-36_165_360_166.html

@man-bot your grow looks great! I have been growing with a version of no-till for over three years now. Let me know if you have any questions. Looks like everything is going well and should be on auto pilot soon!

-Tommy

3 Likes

I haven’t though i’ll definitely look into them…there was a recent discussion on GC about releasing calcium with citric acid instead of vinegar for foliars that I am interested in trying out though it’ll be awhile

1 Like

I thought about trying that once. Just recently I bought a pound of citric acid powder and have a bunch of egg shells in my fridge… :thinking:

2 Likes

If you do, definitely let me know…Possum said to use 1/4tsp citric acid mixed in a quart of water then add the co3 of choice (eggshells, OSF, Dolomite etc). What makes me hesitant is that is the only guideline is determine co3 amounts by ph and I have too many high value plants going atm to do a side by side with a diluted calmag plus foliar

1 Like

Quick update - still kind of battling the nitrogen deficiency. I’ve been feeding the plants and they are starting to green up a bit which is good news.

The plants are also starting to show some character.

The GF x BB seems to shaping up to be what I was expecting. Spear shaped buds with a semi sweet scent. Seems to be pretty middle of the road for this cross so overall a good representation of what the breeder was after.

Seems like it will yield well. Was fast to start flowering so it seems a bit ahead of the Tangerine Power in the same room. I’m assuming it will go about 70 days in flower… we’ll see!

The Tangerine Power I have flowering are 2 plants. One has taken on a pronounced sweet citrus smell and the other not as much. This is exactly what I was after so I’m happy in the respect. Here is the citrus one:

The both seem like they will be on the lower side for yield - but we’ll see how they shape up in a few weeks.

I have selectively pollinated the TP with TP pollen so if all goes according to plan I’ll have some F2 seeds.

I have also selectively pollinated the GF x BB with both some 5 year old pollen of GF x BB a friend had kept and some TP pollen which should make for an interesting cross.

Lastly I threw some GF x BB cuttings that were about 2-3 weeks in flower into a glass of water and put them under 24h light to see if they would root… well 2-3 weeks later and they are still green and showing roots! Probably the easiest LITFA method cloning I have ever done and it has worked great. They seem to be growing vegetatively now too!

That’s about it - will update soon.

4 Likes

Quick update on the 7 week mark:

Tangerine Power

Looks like it will go 10 weeks. Getting pretty loud now and the citrus scent is in full effect. Will be an average yielder.

GF x BB

Thinking this only has a week or 2 left. Glands still pretty clear so maybe it will go 10 as well. Yield looks like it will be above average. Scent wise it has a bit of sweetness mixed with skunky funk. No real BB, no real GF. Good by me still :slight_smile:

Let me know your thoughts on how far out you think these are from being ripe.

Looks like the pollination with the TP pollen was successful so I’ll have some F2s and a cross with the gf x bb. The old gf x bb pollen doesn’t look like it was viable… was a long shot regardless. Interested to see what the (GF x BB) x Tangerine Power cross is like.

4 Likes

Coming along well, that tangerine power looks droolworthy!

2 Likes

Just a quick follow up - for the few of you following.

I haven’t disappeared or forgotten, my issue is the grow just reeks! This is limiting my interaction with the plants. As long as I do not disturb the plants everything is cool - I have zero scent in the house and the carbon filter is doing a great job of treating the exhaust air.

The minute I open the tent and even brush against a plant an overwhelming skunk smell goes throughout my house.

My wife is awesome, she doesn’t smoke (used to), and is cool with me maintaining a small garden at home, but when I stink the place up she is not amused (we have kids at an impressionable age, while everything is legal im not trying to promote to my kids to use cannabis or any other intoxicants). So for that reason I won’t be visiting it much for the next 2 weeks until I take the plants down.

Right now I’m just over 8 weeks. I snipped a small gf X bb bud last night (and proceeded to stink up the house) as an 8 week tester. Looking under the loupe glands are still mostly clear.

I had hoped it would be an 8 weeker, but all indications i have seen online show me I should expect them to go 70 days. Same with the TP, I have not snipped any buds to test it - but it has been slower than the gf x bb so it looks like everything will come down in 2 weeks. The TP is VERY odourus. The citrus is very present - but in general there is a lot of skunk (general good weed smell) going on.

How I’m going to harvest without stinking up the house (and bothering my wife) is going to be interesting… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Quick Sunday update - Going into week 9 of flower. Getting pretty close!

GF x BB finishing up nicely:

Tangerine Power:

7 Likes

Checked all of the trichs and everything is mostly clear to cloudy… I did not notice any amber so they are both going to go at least 70 days.

Have snipped off tester buds for all 3 plants and have them drying.

The TP miraculously has lost its citrus scent… kind of a drag actually. Hoping that turns around or changes during the cure. It appears in this last stage of life the plant smells are changing and getting more intense.

One of the drying buds of TP smells a bit of a mix of weed/astrignent/dog shit… not my 100% fav :).

The most interesting has been the GF x BB. IT has taken on a beautiful purple shade and the berry scent is really coming on strong. This is a pleasant surprise!

I have smoked part of the 8 week sampling of GF x BB as well. IT has been surprising too… I always associated BB hybrid plants as somewhat relaxing and a kind buzz. Well I’m not sure if its the early age I took this bud or what but the 8 week sampling is a clear buzz, all head, very stimulating and a good chunk of paranoia in there for me. It makes you focused and clear while working at tasks and lying in bed keeps you quite alert but with wild thoughts running through your head… this is not a smoke and sleep strain at 8 weeks.

It also comes on very slowly - like 15 mins after smoking you start to realize you’re baked and then it keeps going in your head.

I’m going to chalk it up to just being a light weight… I’ve been smoking for over 25 years, but I’m so far from a chronic now its ridiculous.

Either way - I’m hoping for a much more mellow product at 10-11 weeks out of the GF x BB.

My main focus is to figure out how to harvest and keep the most scent and flavour out of these!! If anyone has any tips - please feel free to share.

3 Likes

Sounds like a very similar situation at my place personal I love the smells cannabis gives off very similar to hops as of right now iv have two decent size in veg and the oders are some what minimal at the moment but I have some autos as well not sure what they’ll be like in the next month or so! Well see

1 Like

:thumbsup:

If you have a separate garage or room for drying, USE it! :grin:

Maybe send them on a day trip with some ‘moolah’ :moneybag:? :wink: …while you and your helper(if there is any) get the work done & house aired out. then have take-out dinner ordered & delivered so when the 'Schtazi come back from the mall or grandma’s all they smell is :pizza: pepperoni or whatever. :sunglasses: :ok_hand:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Well it’s bittersweet because at least your plants are so dank they reek up the house lol.

If you have enough negative pressure in your room it really shouldn’t be an issue. Even with the door open the air should be trending in and towards the fan. What size fan are you rocking?

2 Likes

I do run the fan constantly now - before it was based on temp.

As it’s a 2 x 2 room I just have a 200cfm, 4” fan going. There is negative pressure - I can see the tent fabric pulled in while running… somehow the odour gets out. It could be my wife’s nose is sensitive… either way - if it can be smelled in the house that’s not gonna fly. I was under the same line of thinking as you - negative pressure would mean no scent migration.

It only occurs when I disturb the plants. If I were to just open the flap and look it’s not a big deal - but if I get in there and physically move it all around that’s trouble.

I actually have the tent in an armoir style cabinet on casters in my garage (which is connected to the house with bedrooms above it). I figure I may just wheel the whole cabinet outside into my driveway and then chop the plants there. Then I can trim and hang the buds in my shed out back. Well see!

Any tips for drying and curing to maintain terpenes?

1 Like

Sounds like you’re set up properly. When you open that tent and start rooting around some smell will escape, but will be eventually sucked in and eaten up by the scrubber.

If its a day to day thing, buy a can of ozium (ozone smell neutralizing spray). Close the door to the actual room, do your thing in the tent, then bomb the room outside the tent with that, close the room door and let it do it’s thing.

Or get one of those automatic febreze things that shoots every hour or whatever and put it outside the door. Incense works too lol

1 Like

I’ll probably just leave it alone unless I have to go in there. When I do I’ll just make sure it’s when the kids are asleep.

I thought it should all come down at 10 weeks - but I may be going longer. No amber showing up yet!!

Mover thought a BB hybrid would go 11-12 weeks… but it is what it is.

Maybe it will all ripen up in a week if I’m lucky.

2 Likes

If you’re seeing that much cloudy you’re definitely close!

1 Like

Sunday update - getting close! Most trichs are cloudy at this point - still no amber.

Wednseday is 70 days flower - some may come down this week, or they may have to go 11 if I’m not seeing any amber:

GF x BB:

Gives off a very sweet berry scent with funk undertone when touched. Beautiful plant.

Tangerine Power:

Has a mild skunk and astringent smell. Unfortunately no tangerine to be found on either plant which is a drag. They will not be kept going forward. They are quite resinous though! Will likely be nice smoke… I have yet to try it but have some dried 9 week buds ready to go.

Here’s a whole family shot:

That’s my full little 2’ x 2’ grow with 3 plants. Hard to say what the yield will be but I’m thinking 4-5 oz which is not great with a 250hps (maybe .5g/watt) but is more than enough for me for the whole year basically. All buds are thick and chunky - nothing airy there so I may do even better weight wise. A lot will be passed out to friends :slight_smile:

Thinking of going even smaller next round with a portable cab with Sol Strips. We’ll see, the planning has started. I have some 6-7 year old C99 that is an F3 to run (and a shit ton of other seeds) so I’d like to get those sorted and pollinated to keep that on hand as well.

Also need to get drying and curing sorted - the goal is to ensure no hay smell and keep terpenes as present as possible. I know the drill (I think) but it has been a long time since I dried and cured a crop!

Anyhow - that’s all for now - have a great Sunday.

Edit - forgot to add - my seeded buds are showing mature seeds! Happy about that.

Also the zoom feature when you look at pics on that forum is great, I do see a few amber trichs at the tops of buds.

5 Likes