2 days darkness before harvest really work?

I did it last grow, and I swear it worked on a couple plants I had. They got much frostier I think. It could have been placebo or something because I was so proud of my plants or some shit lol

Do you guys believe it works? Anyone have sources to prove it works?

Im wondering what the general consensus is with you guys.

9 Likes

I placed my Tropicana Poison F2 (auto) into 48hrs darkness last night. I did defoliate all fans, and its almost a final trim with only sugars needing to be trimmed now, but I put her in a dark area for the next two days before chop. Wish she was a little drier (she did get watered the day before), but it is what it is. Total darkness till the chop now, so I guess Iā€™ll see soon enough :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think not. Iā€™ve never done it.

You could also try praying to the voodoo gods.

10 Likes

Iā€™ve tried all that nonsense, recently. Stem splitting, ice baths, 48 hours in the dark. Iā€™m back to just chopping whenever I feel like it with no ritual. I didnā€™t notice anything magicalā€¦stem splitting at least caused the plant to put off a lot of smell. Some kind of noticeable stress reaction.

15 Likes

dude thanks for bringing up other methods. I was always wondering about the stem splitting stuff and ice stuff.

How did you go about stem splitting?

1 Like

That sounds like giving up right before harvest manā€¦ why??? Focus on ratios more if you want to improveā€¦ @ifish and @cdnbuddy can totally explain all of thatā€¦ donā€™t like trim jail? Talk to them!!! You wonā€™t want to play with myths and opinions when you use facts broā€¦ I wish you the best!!!

1 Like

I have an old Korean war dagger from a family member. I just shoved that sucker right through. Slow and careful donā€™t stab the hand holding the stem :yum:

Then work it up and down to make a 2" slit. Then a little cranking to open it up. Then insert screws pencils whatever to stop the wound from healing

3 Likes

You said it bestā€¦ nonsense manā€¦ shenanigans!!! Haha

2 Likes

You arenā€™t going to somehow increase trichome coverage and/or potency with 48 hours of no light. Plants use light to make those trichomes.

2 days of anything isnā€™t going to make a difference one way or the other.

Just an old stoner myth that remains persistent for some reason. No shortage of those.

Donā€™t split stems or fuck with the plants more than you have to. The biggest yields come from proper light, nutrition, airflow, environment, and genetics, not some old wives tale folk magic. Youā€™re far more likely to kill the plant from an internal infection than you are to increase yield.

Cannabis cultivation, for a long time, was done primarily by counterculture weirdos underground away from other growers. There are a lot of holdovers from those beginnings. A great example is someone telling me they crushed up birth control pills and watered them into their seedlings to ā€œhelp make them femaleā€. The folks growing dope in cornfields didnā€™t take botany or horticulture classes so thereā€™s these artifacts of ā€œfolk wisdomā€ that sorta make sense if you have no formal education, and get passed on to whoever they taught to grow.

32 Likes

No lack of Bro Science. I practiced some myself back in the pre netscape days.
-I think the site was The Lycium, or something of the sort.
-Always transplant/up pot under the light of a full moon.

5 Likes

While wearing a dress and drinking goatā€™s blood.

Itā€™s true.

9 Likes

crushed up birth control pills holy shit LOL

3 Likes

Well, I am playing with it for the cure aspect, I donā€™t think it would affect production when the plants shutting down.

But on REAL science, we do know thereā€™s a flow in plants, from the roots during lights, and down to the roots at night. Many chop after a night / 1st thing in the am on this principle. Not sure how it affects a cure, but one would presume with alot of the plants internal fluids going from roots to leaves during daylight, that an extended period of dark before cutting might draw more of those fluids down to the root.

In my case, plant is for seed, long overdue (way more amber than I like) and on the chopping block anyway, whats another 2 days of darkness?

9 Likes

This is my answer to this question. IME, I noticed a slight difference in reduced cure time when chopping during the night cycle. I did not notice a perceived difference between 12-48 hours of darkness.

11 Likes

I remember that one, :laughing:ā€¦
Lots of folks called ā€˜bullshitā€™ at the time, but the broā€™s were like ā€œit works, my cousinā€™s cousin tried it and got 60% femaleā€ā€¦

It takes decades to ā€˜weed outā€™ the bro science, but to be fair, not all of the bro science was crap. The plant teas were from bro scienceā€¦ and there was some other stuff.
Definitely a shining example of the 80/20 rule though.

Also, back then growers were following a lot more of the Farmerā€™s Almanac type advice (phase of the moon etc). Still a few following that todayā€¦

I have a theory that growers are are a superstitious lotā€¦ rather like baseball players in the playoffs. :laughing:

Cheers
G

9 Likes

If you put ice cubes in a womanā€™s butt during the first trimester of pregnancy she will give birth to a boy. Science.

10 Likes

5 Likes

5 Likes

Maybe someone can find the study.
I do remember about 15 yrs ago alot of personal but pretty big growers were doing different side by sides
I did blue mh 600 watts bulbs the last week an almost cool thecroom way down an ice water then 48 hrs dark
Who knows tho because I didnā€™t send out test but it looked like more trichs

2 Likes

Well, I remember trying this a couple of decades ago, I truly hoped that it would be beneficial.
I tried 48 and 72 hour dark periods on several indoor and outdoor plants.
That was the first and last time I used this technique, because if anything, the longer dark period plantā€™s flowers were actually inferior, IME.

10 Likes