2 plants one pot?

Is it a bad idea to start 2 seedlings in the same 5 gallon pot until they are sext? It’s a fabric wider pot. Trying to maximize strains this season.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t the roots will grow together you won’t be able to separate them

6 Likes

I do that with 3 plants when running other peoples seeds for a test. I plant 3 to get 1 small female. I find my task is easy and only got stung with 3 males a couple times.

6 Likes

You never know what you will get. As mentioned, separation may be an issue. What happens if both are keepers? Why not keep in smaller pots until sexed?

4 Likes

I have no problem cutting a female down. Just trying to ensure I get 1 female per strain, per pot.

4 Likes

I can tell ya from personal experience that it’s hard to keep em fed if they get to big. :wink:

2 Likes

Been pondering this idea as well because of legal plant counts. I mean 6 in flower just isn’t enough.

2 Likes

I have 5 plants in a 7 gal 4 different strains.

2 Likes

This is my current set up. Day 3 of 12/12 now. I’m hoping to see sex shortly so I can start culling. I had 10 but one of them failed to live, so I’m at 9. I figure I’m only culling males if I end up with 2 females in a pot I will decide if it’s worth separating or culling 1 or I may just let it ride. I’ll trim to keep the limbs separate if the third option is chosen.

Edit. 5 gallon cloth pots rolled down because I didn’t have the soil I needed to fill them to the top when I planted.

2 Likes

i have never done that for seed. only clones. i’ll stick 4-5 clones in a single bucket for flowering.

1 Like

2 plants 1 pot !
Lets say we did
But how bout not !

2 Likes

I have often grown more than one plant in a single pot. you can bend and train them to grow out away from each other. Also, if you must separate them use a large kitchen knife to cut the rootball apart. Water them after they are in their new homes and let them rest for a couple of days. They will be fine.🥸

7 Likes

I sometimes put two seedlings in the same hole outside if I’m growing regs. It doesn’t always work out that one of them is male and the other female but it doesn’t seem to affect their growth. In a pot maybe a little different, but again I do this when I’m making seeds as I don’t need the plants to be overly big.

3 Likes

I cant see the point really, I’d rather use two plastic pots as its easier to transplant them later.

3 Likes

Well
If I were running fems
And if I were going to Scrog
And if I had at least a 10 gallon smart pot
Why not.

2 Likes

I do with the home cross autos when I’m testing and know I want to cull a high percentage. Cull one before the leaves of the two touch. My favorite is with soil wet, by putting your hand on the soil to hold it firm with the stem between your fingers & pull it our bare root. Then water. The other plant should hardly even notice.

Two can grow together if I really love both and they’re girls, but the plants will be smaller and hard to keep fed and watered.

8 seeds in a 30g fabric pot has become my favorite for testing. Plenty of space top evaluate, scoop out males, and keep 1-3 winning females.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t do that if you’re planning to separate them later, but I do grow multiple seeds in the same pot when pheno hunting. Right now I have three Oaxacans in a 7 gallon and four of a cross I’m working on in another. Oh - and an auto breeding project with several females in a one gallon.

Yeah it’s a crappy picture, sorry.

4 Likes

I understand that autos should not have their roots damaged but photoperiod plants dont mind it at all. I have never hurt a photoperiod plant by transplanting or root pruning. :grin:

5 Likes

These Durbanana have not shown sex at this point in my soil. It makes it tough if you plant several together, they crowd each other. They ended up being males.

9 Likes

2 girls one cup can definitely happen…

7 Likes