2 stubborn seeds that will not pop

Any advice on how to getting these last two seeds to pop. Took 11 jelly pie seeds and soaked them in water overnight. Put in paper towel on plate and next morning 8 had long tails. Next day the 9th got a tap root and was planted. But 10 and 11 are not budging. Any advice ? Usually I get high 90s when it comes to germ rate. And I know 9 out of 11 is decent. I just want more plants to choose from. Maybe the pheno I am looking for is in one of these little buggers.

5 Likes

Some seeds just take a little longer. If you scuff up the outer shells (sandpaper rolled into a tube seeds inside and shake for a minute or so) it will help make them more absorbent. You can even buy a tool that will crack the shell to help with stubborn seeds

6 Likes

Even if they have already soaked and been in paper towels for over 48 hours ? I will try and file the outsides a little more

4 Likes

It could be that it’s just a non-viable seed

4 Likes

It can’t hurt. I’ve buried seeds in soil outdoors before and they took a few weeks to get above ground.

5 Likes

Well they both are going into peat pellets tonight. Hope they pop

3 Likes

:wink: Count yourself lucky & toss the un-popped stuff. :v:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

If they havent popped try adding some heat, I norm set the container I germ in on top of flourecemnt lamp ,its just enough heat it incourege the hormones to activate, if they havent rotted dont give up

5 Likes

Lookie who I seen this morning. Number 10!

6 Likes

The last 2 have shell issues. Too hard I think. Maybe try surgery on number 11. I did label 11 solos JellyPie 1-11 hate to let 11 go to waste…

3 Likes

If you can slightly part the shell carefully and then soak again in Damp tissue hopefully that will be enough to kick start it

3 Likes

I had the tray overhanging to the side of our fireplace. Kept the peat nice and warm

2 Likes

i’d try cracking the seed and soaking it a bit longer, may just not be viable… just squeeze it lightly between your fingers until the end cracks opens a bit

4 Likes

One of the two has turned into my best looking seedling. The other I found out of the shell curled up like snail almost. Horizontal. Just under the surface. Turfed it.

8 Likes

Number ten turned out to be a stunning plant. Fragrant huge thick stalk. But a male

3 Likes

The same thing happened to me! At least the damn thing sprouted lol

1 Like

I second this method. It does work even after they’ve been in paper towels for some time. Sometimes the hulls on some strains is very thick and requires some abrasion.

As a last resort, I’ve also (carefully) cracked the hulls with tweezers and put them back into paper towels.

Nice job getting them to go @PoppaPuff. The extra elbow grease is totally worth it sometimes. :smile:

4 Likes

Some growers recommend putting a bit of hydrogen peroxide in with the moist paper towel. I thought this was nuts but it works the way peroxide softens the hair cuticle before coloring. It seems the seed shells are gaining strength but the same happens with some chicken eggs. I wonder if it has something to do with nutes or growth regulators that many growers are using.

Regulators keep the plant small for indoor growing so they’d no doubt use it on mother plants as well. Who knows what that does to the developing seed shell.

2 Likes