200 Watt Compact Flourscent Bulbs

I have good luck vegging with compact fluorescent bulbs, so I was delighted to see that you can now buy 200-watt equivalent models. I switched out my 100-watters a week or so ago, and the plants are loving it. In fact, they do better than some others under a 600-watt MH. Go figure. They cost about $12 a piece on Amazon and draw 43 watts each, so it’s still a cost-effective alternative to a MH setup. I’m more concerned with results than cost, but these things win out in both cases.

Here’s a photo. As a “new member” I can only post one, apparently.

Great to see Overgrow back in business, BTW. I was member when it went down, and have missed the opportunity to share and learn in the years since.

3 Likes

Here’s close-up.

2 Likes

Hi lumbo, welcome to OG!

I’ve experimented with CFLs a lot, be sure to checkout my CFL thread :slight_smile:

p.s. hang around being logged in (read some topics) and your member status will upgrade to full member automatically - then you can upload more photos into single post…

Thanks, LJ. Not to be a pain in the ass, but here’s what the MH grow looks like. They’re all getting switched over to the 600 watt HPS when they’re big enough and/or sexually mature. Bastard strain of feminized seeds, strictly organic.

Looks like nice and vigorous indica strain!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

@SomeOldGuy you are right, incandescent equivalent numbers are pretty confusing.

1 Like

Fair enough. Let’s just say the 43-watt bulbs I recently installed appear to be about twice as bright as the 23-watters they replace. The plants are responding accordingly.

2 Likes

Hey there Mr.Lumbo, I am a newbee here also. My CFL’s come from Amazon also, 250 watts,6500K,manufactured by a company named Revolt. On the box it says the light generates 15,000 lumens from 250 Watts. However, this light cost around $55 instead of $12. I have a pair of them and they work perfect for my small scenario. I hope this info helps.

Anyway, when it comes to blooming it is still HPS who is the king :wink:

1 Like

^^^^

I’m curious how often you need to water a plant that big in a small pot. I’m guessing, based on my experience, every day or two, which can get a little tricky. Of course, under CFLs, they’re probably less thirsty than with an HPS.

Here’s an updated photo of the grow at the beginning of this thread, a week into flower under a 600 watt hps. This strain produces really big buds and these are exceptionally vigorous plants, so I’m expecting a decent yield in about 6 weeks.

1 Like