3 4 A Kg (Three For a šŸ”‘) even more Automatic Writing

:speaking_head: @GrouchyOldMan
I think the best solution would be automated. But I havenā€™t the bucks for such a gizmo. Iā€™m usually home and I check PH daily as I water & feed. It is not as big of an issue as you might think it would be. As long as you keep your plant and roots in the best shape you can and healthy, Iā€™ve heard of some people being gone away from the homestead for a few weeks and auto pots keep on chugging along. :wink:
If however growing in hydro; you really need an automated system if you plan to be gone for more than a day or so.

I also find that being more hands on also means being more aware so small problems are gone long before they become big problems.

As with most things in life, itā€™s up to the individual to decide what works best for them, their set up, experience and how comfortable they are. I would say ph SHOULD BE checked daily. :v::fist_right:t3::fist_left:t4:

5 Likes

3 4 A Kg (Three for a :key:) even more Automatic Writing

PH Pens - some opt for test strips, some for meters, some for living soil - but for me after years of chasing and replacing cheap PH pens I finally broke down and invested in a good one. My choice for the past several years has been the APERA Instruments PH20 pen/kit. Itā€™s got a removable cap and meter shield - is waterproof should you drop it in a tub or reservoir - uses standard AAA batteries - is easy to set/calibrate - offers fĀ°/cĀ° read out and will cost you about the price of a meal for two out.

5 Likes

You donā€™t like the drops? ā€¦or just prefer the convenience of the meter?

2 Likes

:speaking_head: @Tappy Iā€™ve used both but prefer a meter. I donā€™t want to leave the guesstimating up to my aging eyes and whether the reading is being done in the bathroom, grow room or grow room with tent and overhead lights on. I prefer seeing the number in black & white. :+1:t3::v:

5 Likes

Yeah, why take the chanceā€¦totally agree.
When playing with hydro, PH is no game.

3 Likes

I need to take a look at that pen your using, think my third Bluelab has taken a shit. And Iā€™m unsure of my luck with this brand to upgrade to a Guardian monitorā€¦ and the cost.

Everythingā€™s looking great!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s my choice too @BU2B, as of this morning. Should arrive Monday, $51 for the whole kit. Thx for the good counsel Brother.

So, what is the equivalent choice for TDS, EC, PPM? Iā€™m hoping thereā€™s one probe that is best for that task? (arenā€™t they all interpreting the same conductivity signal?)

-Grouchy
PS, last thread highjack attempt, I promiseā€¦ :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the truth!

I learned that lesson the hard wayā€¦ probably why I remembered itā€¦ :smile: :vulcan_salute:

Cheers
G

5 Likes

:speaking_head: I still use a cheap a$$ TDS meter. Why, you may ask, have I not spent money on an expensive one?

While it is true that a ppm, tds and ec meter do about the same thing measure the amount of sodium chloride; they each do it a little differently. However, once you do the calculation 3 times youā€™re pretty much done. Get a high, a low and dead on reading; once that is done you will know for your meter what its output means and how it relates to the ph. The main reason I have not invested in a more expensive ec meter is that truthfully, I only check TDS IF there is a PH issue.

Why? Because my beginning tds is not going to change and neither is the amount of nutrients used so there is precious little you can do in real life about about base or nute base tds unless you change your water source.

I think the choice of meter to check tds/ppm/ec is completely a user choice. Sorry, but I have no recommendation on a meter brand.
:v:

2 Likes

:speaking_head: @Gpaw my biggest screw up to date was a massive 4x4 GDP (I :thinking: think). She filled the entire tent and was about a week into flowering. I cleaned the tent, wiping everything down with alcohol in preparation for a clean batch of fresh flowers - about 2 lbs. In my wiping things down I turned off the o2 pump. One week later I noticed. I almost cried. Honest! But the air knob is now securely taped in the ON position! Doh!

ā€œYou live, you learn
You love, you learn
You cry, you learn
You lose, you learn
You bleed, you learn
You scream, you learn
You grieve, you learn
You choke, you learn
You laugh, you learn
You choose, you learn
You pray, you learn
You ask, you learn
You live, you learnā€
Alanis Morissette

6 Likes

3 4 A Kg (Three for a :key:) even more Automatic Writing

10 October 2022

Three for a key - with Meatloaf!
The plan was to have 3 plants and a kilo by new years. At this point it looks like 2 plants and Meatloaf singing ā€˜Two out of Three ainā€™t badā€™. The black cream is steadfastly refusing to cooperate. BC1 has cotyledon turning yellow, still no root and my last seed has so far not germinated. Can you say cr@p?!

Iā€™m rummaging through auto seeds and if thereā€™s no sign of life by Wednesday SOMETHING is getting started!

Reminder time -

ā€˜Peace is not the destination, no - Itā€™s the road, itā€™s the road that we walkā€™

:v::wheel_of_dharma:

4 Likes

Okay - as I take the walk of shame back to the carā€¦
Iā€™m calling it. The Black Cream is a no go, the Scarlet Runtz is spotted to beat the band - the only surviving healthy plant is the Double Grape. No worries for the donator - Iā€™ll send you updates as she grows.

So the grow is a bust and unfortunately so is the journal. I built myself up for this one and left a nice long distance for me to fall flat on my face. Sorry ā€˜bout that folks. I may try again with 3 autos in the spring - but for now itā€™s me and the Double Grape and that hardly makes three let alone a Kg!

Thanks for tuning in and once again, my apologies.

GROW JOURNAL CLOSED October 10 2022

6 Likes

Nonsenseā€¦ drop two more of those DG beans, your only 12 days in on her. Stagger the harvest. :slight_smile:

Iā€™v had a rough season since starting back up in early June, dud beans, usps late delivering cuts that fried and hermies set me back a bit. Ya gotta work through the obstacles sometimes.

4 Likes

:speaking_head: GCBudz I would love to report that Iā€™ve given my head a shake, taken a few deep breaths and decided to carry on carrying on, but thatā€™s not the case.

The grow was an attempt on my part to take the time and get back to the basics of what I do and up to this point have done well; grow weed. I needed some time away from the mortality and shadows to help get my head on straight. Unfortunately this wasnā€™t the ticket.

I havenā€™t grown out of growing - I need the medicine, and the Black Cream was a big part of that for me. I know for sure she can do the job just not this time and she was a big hope on my part for meeting my self set goals for the grow. But really, I just donā€™t have the energy right now to keep up a grow and a journal. Yes I can grow, and No I didnā€™t do it this time. But thatā€™s why god invented The OG for sharing - when you can!:+1:t3::sunglasses:

8 Likes

Notice
16 October 2022

The 3 4 A Kg (Three For A :key:) journal and grow will receive a reboot in the Soring of 2023

The journal will be hosted here on The OG and will include the same line-up as this; the original journal

• Black Cream
  • Double Grape
  • Scarlet Runtz

The goal remains the same; 2.2 lbs from 3 Autos

Keep on keeping on and I hope to see everyone in a few months!

:v:

8 Likes

Incoming Brain Wormā€¦

ā€¦Now I have Beetles music on internal loopā€¦ :rofl: :+1:

Iā€™ll be waitingā€¦

Cheers
G

5 Likes

3 4 A Kg. (Three for a :key: - THE REBOOT)
26 October 2022

LAYING THE GROUNDWORK

The grow is scheduled to begin on 4/20
I will finish up the current grow and have 1 photo grow BEFORE the 3 4 A Kg. REBOOT

In preparation for that grow and to help lay the groundwork for the growing method used and how it has been adopted for autos specifically; I will be posting some of the updates to the current grow that are going out to strain developers and creators.

This is for reference only and is not intended to be a full grow journal.

PLEASE NOTE: Posts may be intermittent. :v:

5 Likes

Get yourself one of those aerogardens, :100: % germination and they are ready for the dwc. I use the spout in the lid of the bucket and the aerogarden pots fit right in. The nice thing is the roots are all ready for water and itā€™s easy peasy. They adapt almost immediately if you keep the same light schedule and adjust after they have adapted to the bucket.

4 Likes

Great suggestion, thank you! And welcome to The OG! :v:

1 Like

3 4 A Kg. (Three for a :key: - THE REBOOT)
29 October 2022

LAYING THE GROUNDWORK - part two

While I get it together and then try to remember where I put it; here is what Iā€™ll be discussing

How to go from this -

To this -

24 flowering growth tips in 28 days using my PPP Method adopted for Autos. By the time the girls end Week 5 they should have about 48 flowering growth tips and be about 12 inches in diameter - with only 1 topping.

8 Likes