3/5 different strains Hermaphrodite ?!

Ok so I recently started growing after a break and upgraded from a small tent to a larger and 600w- 1000w and bigger plants. I was hard pressed for genetics to start with a low plant count limit for medical program. So i chose feminized seeds. 2 or the 3 hermaphrodites i got at an expo from some no name seed company and after reading the description and doing some research it seems as if they bred with feminized seeds aswell. So for the 2 which were blue glue og 7 & Master kush that were both from the seed bank turned hermaphorditic. Also the one i just found an hour ago was CBD Bubba Kush from DINAFEM seeds also feminized. I know 100% these are all hermi’s i had dealt with them before at somone else grow due to light leak & neglect. My question is it coincidence that these 3 seeds ended up being hermi\s ? Only possible reason i see for them to hermi is light leak so im changing a few things around to esnure its extra dark only light entracnce is through the air intakes in the room itself but they are behind walls and covered i doubt it is a light leak.

The hemi itself were pollen sacks comming off of the node where the buds were growing out of NO nanners of the bud itself. this is also making me believe its genetic and not a light leak but i figure some of you have better knowledge

My temperature’s have been running a little high at 80-85degrees sadly as the outside air is still warm. The humidity has been around 50-60% and i am using Remo Brand nutrients which all the plants seem to be enjoying. I have 2 other feminized seeds in there ,Chocolope & Blue dream neither I have found nanners or pollen sacks on but are now both full of seed.

appreicate the help as I have a very scarce time aquring decent cannabis until i can get a crop out and have yet to get one out this harvest. thank you all very much

2 Likes

Light leak in tents cause a lot of hermie problems. You just have to figure out the light leaks. Fem Seeds cause a lot of hermies too. I would work on getting the tent dialed in first.

6 Likes

I’ve herm’d Dinafem genetics with the slightest of drought conditions.
Be especially careful for Light-leak during the dark cycle too.

3 Likes

In my experience, nanners on bud are usually the environmental sensitivity response to temp. light leaks etc. BUT,Sacs of male flowers at the branch root or formed sacs away from the bud are definitely a sign of shaky genetics and breeding. Even though some of these plants and their clones, may not develop male parts in optimal conditions, they are sloppily bred (using nanner pollen or reversal techniques) and should hit the dumpster. Run regs that are proven as losing half of an early crop (to males) beats the shit out of what you are going thru. Good reliable clones if available are another route. Lots of fine people on this site can hook you up.

6 Likes

Okay a little backstory

Yes i have checked for light leaks
ALL seeds I have flowered have been female
raised the light
All hermie’s were in smart pots… just switching back to the regular pots as i had better luck with them

My current grow has been running roughly since june or so, I started with 5 strains, out of those 3 hermie’d on me in flower. Now at this time my enviroment was not dialed in an ph was not perfect. It was my first “serious” grow (1000w HPS in 5x5 Tent) I was running my nutrient line at FULL dosage NO flushing done and i was adding large amounts of Superthrive (vitamin b12) so i contributed to stress of nutrient as they did get nute burnt eventually i harvested the 2 that did not hermie (full of seed)

My next run i had a few different strains at this point im now adding plants in every so often instead of all at once. Now, i’ve halved my nutes NO superthrive, ph is better. Enviroroment is good, and yet again more hemie’s but some different strains started at the same time watered same etc. again i work on my enviroment
this time i caught the hermie’s and thankfully 0 seed

Onto current run I have some clones of a strain i ran that didnt hermie that i really stressed out not on purpose i put them into flower too early aswell but flushing this better PH way better enviroment is better
I ran into yet another hemie

What am I doing wrong or not considering ? I ph my water EVERYTIME, i also check that my pen is calibrated weekly now . I have a thought that my enviroment is pretty “extreme” and plants that are not prone to hermaphroditic traits are doing well while the others that are prone are turning hermie , correct maybe ? I have been trying to find a trust worthy source locally for a clone of somthing that they have run and test against my enviroment.

Thoughts/opinions are appreciated! i left out strain names and seedbanks so that way there is no Bias :slight_smile:

Where are you getting your seeds? What’s the lineage, are they fem?

7 Likes

Damn, you beat me to the question.

5 Likes

Several sources… most i ran were name brand, @Skiball and yes all fem .
Online & in person, some packages sealed some were just a seed in a bag i think you may know those sites lol not sure if i can name sources.

Aren’t hermies a response to stress by the parent plant.

99%

1 Like

Yup please name sources bc i def dont want to buy them. Also gg4 and cookies commonly herm exp fem.

2 Likes

@Skiball heres my list

Seedbank - Attitude
Local seed banks (packs had seals & proper packaging)

Non-hermie
Blue dream - HSO
Chocolope - DNA genetics
Pineapple express - G13 labs
Cheese - Green House Seeds

Hermies
Master kush - xotic genetics (local seed bank NOT Exotic)
Blue glue og - - xotic genetics (local seed bank NOT Exotic)
CBD Bubba Kush - Dinafem
Remo Chemo - Dinafem
Flowerbomb kush - Green house seeds
2 x Cannalope Kush - DNA genetics

I think that is it currently have more on the up and comming, limited plant count so its hard.

2 Likes

Yeah i tried to stay away from them but i do have a GG4 cross right now and didnt hear good things about it… TH seeds Strawberry Glue . Its young i can cull it

Do you have photos of your grow and these plants?

Might be helpful to see the set up.

99%

2 Likes

Ive only grown fem seeds a couple times. So not a lot of experience. I def wouldn’t trust a local breeder for them. You have to take clones 1st and run a bunch of stress tests be4 choosing which to fem. My short answer is go with reg seeds n start cloning. Ive only had 2 true herm that wasn’t from me stressing them to much. Like I said some plants are more predisposed to herm. Mj is naturally hermaphrodic so any time you allow it to pick up those traits again it’ll run with it. What do you use for nutes and what your light schedule? Bc people can argue with me all they want 20/4 24/0 causes more stress on mj.

2 Likes

All true and then some…

99%

2 Likes

Hermie’s are stress related or shit seeds or elite cuts bag seeds I’m going with stress over seed quality.

Have pictures?
We talking true hermi’s (50-50 m/f) or just a few balls?
What’s the temps lights on/off at root level?
Do you have a fan or cold air inlet blasting the plants?
When do you water and how much?
Do you at least let the medium dry out before watering?

2 Likes

what was the gh cheese like ?

1 Like

The GH Cheese I ran in 2014 was not overly potent but had a taste and smell that made it a real keeper. She had a full on grape smell in flower and a deep grape wine smell cured but a real rich grape flavour to the smoke. Grow slow and somewhat viney needs support with good solid buds and good yields. Same flavour to the smoke indoor to outdoors just more of it indoors. Excellent strain one of the best from the GH line that I’ve .

1 Like

@Skiball Remo Nutrients, and 18/6 for veg and 12/12 flower

I will see I lost most photo’s due to a computer failure sadly :frowning:

@50State I had atleast 2-3 that i recall being forsure 50/50 , but rest were a few balls on several stems / nodes but not too much on the bud itself
Light temps on average 70-77 (i have to adjustt my fans daily with weather until i can afford automatic ones )
off they dont go down below 60 (anymore i did have some go very low with the cannalope clones talking +25degree F temp flucations when where i live got VERY cold ( direct air into grow doesnt get too warm when its very cold out, the cold air intake blasts roughly root level at the plants as i filter my room in the top corner for exhauster of heat and smell.
I water when the plants need it i let them get fairly light, i try not to let them wilt but get light enough its not a problem to pick up the pot ,
i run remo nutes currently running 1/2 and 1/4 doses aswell as every other watering is just tap water that is ph’d, i tried running RO water and had several issues when i went back to tap water the issue on the leaves dissapeared, what im saving up for currently is an airstone and a water bin so i can aerate the water and remove chlorine, although i think my tap water MAY have fluoride in it

@casperdeigh Good buzz, smell was slightly citrus to start and now is faintly a cheese herby . Good buzz super low yield running again right now last cuts are in i forgot to take another cut before throwing last one in but wasnt too hurt as the yield was rather low compared to my others i had, it yieled 25% in 2x the pot… and 2x the veg… lol

1 Like

Do top feed bottom feed ?
Water till runoff?
did the hemri plants cluster more to the side where the cold air comes in ?

I’m thinking the temp flux and the air blasting at root level are causing evaporation from the cloth pots causing even more cooling around the roots and cooling the soil itself. Which may be why you had less trouble with the plastic pots as this evaporation wouldn’t have occurred. I’ve had it happen with the smart pots/cloth/air pot or whatever term you like.

4 Likes