4 Way Genetics planning

This is the planning and technical group of 4Way Genetics (Canada)
Open to all Canadians and honuary Hosers

6 Likes

Great Ideaā€¦

2 Likes

So, after a cross, how many generations do we need to propagate to stabilize the plants?

Cheers
G

1 Like

Is Detroit close enough Ehhh?

I say F8

2 Likes

I really do not have more than a clue how this works so jump all over anything that is wrong or could be better.
Iā€™m trying to visualize how an individual (and by extension a group) would run a pheno hunt.

The preliminaries:

Scenario 1

So, ā€œAā€ gets a package of regular seeds.
Plants them in small pots and grows them.
Prior to flipping to flower, ā€œAā€ clones all of them.
If facilities permit, segregate a couple of males to collect pollen (otherwise pitch the males)
Grow the females and harvest, and sample.
Based on the resulting grow data, select the best female clone and two best male clones and do a seed run.

What does this accomplish?
We have selected the best female/male characteristics of the seed pack and generated a bunch of seeds.
This scenario seems restrictive in a genetic sense

Scenario 2

So, ā€œAā€ gets a package of regular seeds.
Plants them in small pots and grows them.
ā€œAā€ culls the misfits and allows open pollination

What does this accomplish?
We have propagated seeds with a good cross-section of the genetic material.

Ok, while ā€œAā€ is busy with the above, ā€œBā€, ā€œCā€, ā€œDā€ are doing the same with their respective lines.

Then the seeds are exchanged and crosses are started (A x B) and (C x D). Probably following scenario #1??
Seems to me we would want as many folks as possible working in parallel on both the F1 crosses.

Do we use pollen from one male or several? How do we pass the ā€œwinnersā€ back into the pool for the F2s?

There are a bunch of details here that need to be worked out!

Iā€™m guessing we each do our own F1 crosses generate our scenario #1 seeds and exchange those with each other? Then ā€˜rinse and repeatā€™ for the F2ā€¦F8?
How many plants can reasonably be handled by one person? 25?

Once we have stable crosses (A x B) and (C x D) then we cross (A x B) x (C x D)

Rinse and repeat F1 through F8

Anyway, I throwing these musings out there so the group hopefully can bang it into a usable plan.

Cheers
G

6 Likes

You played hockey up here you are already an honorary Hoser!! :+1:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Take off, Ehh. Itā€™s an honor from my brothers to the north, or East if I count Windsor. We have to talk Canadian old school strains from BC and local Heirloom stock.

2 Likes

So, I tap danced around the elephant in the roomā€¦

What are our crosses going to be?

There are lots of interest in Northern Lights, Kush, C99, etc.

Iā€™d suggest something easy for the first ā€˜shakeout cruseā€™.

Cheers
G

Waiting on some old NL#5 and some other goodies . Have not tried C99. I want to get SSH and Big Bud. Just got some Romulan x Viet Black

Fry up some bacon and pop a beerā€¦
My kid (lives in Windsor) tells me Windsor is known as South Detroit :rofl:

BC strains such up most of the air in that discussion but there are a couple Quebec lines (outdoor) too.

Cheers
G

Because of the Journey song.,. Is no south Detroit except the riverā€¦:joy:

3 Likes

TRUE!

Cheers
G

My MTF would go good up there, have some healthy plants but seeds are old Alaskan Seed Exchange?

Only popped about 70% viable, may do conservation. I was gifted a collection from 70 yo grower. Got my addiction startedā€¦lol

1 Like

One of the videos posted yesterday went into popping old seeds. The said GA3 will pop just about anything but because most of the sugars were depleted during storage of old seeds the sprouts die before they establish.
They were pre-treating with a soak containing some hormones and sugars, then hitting them with the GA3. ā€¦Iā€™m still going to try an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner at some pointā€¦

Cheers
G

2 Likes

I have a big bud from sensiā€¦waiting on it to grow up

I could contribute 5 MTF seeds first one is a beauty early finisher

4 Likes

Iā€™m with you on the jewelry cleaner, I bet that will increase rates.

MTF is Sativa heavy with ruderralis mixed in for squat plant. Would make it outdoor friendly in our climate.

1 Like

Matankuska Thunder Fuck? Oh hell yes!!
Thatā€™s a darned generous offer.
I think that is an important northern outdoor plant along with Freezeland and Quebec Goldā€¦ and I donā€™t even grow outdoors (yet).

How long did you find the flower time to be?
(I better go re-read your thread)

Thanks & Cheers
G

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s this strain, I have 1 first week in flower. Iā€™m getting anywhere from 60-90 daysā€¦lol, thatā€™s a little spread

1 Like

Iā€™ll let you know in around 9 weeks, new flowers are sharp Sativa spikes on a short symmetric frame, not much stretch at all.

1 Like