6-BA (Benzylaminopurine) growth hormone, by Dumme

Here’s a video series I did on the foliar spray of Benzylaminopurine of cannabis, whIle still in Veg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs0U6VkZD9Q

The beginning of hormone tests on cannabis, with 3 plants

Started September 7th and continued to 14th-
In this test, I’m using ~100mg of 6-benzylaminopurine (disolved in Potassium Hydroxide 35%), to ~1000mL (1L) of distilled water. Foliar spray only, and only in Veg room.

Normally the mix is “1mg : 1mL”, so my mix is 1/10 normal strength. I will up the dosage as in later tests.

September 14-21th:
100% dose of 6-benzylaminopurine to 3 cannabis plants.

Here’s a video update on the 24th, of how the dose of 1g 6-BA to .15ml Potassium Hydroxide, then mixed into 1000ml of distilled water, effected my leaves in 17 days.

While I have noticed a slight difference in growth, I’m not convinced Potassium Hydroxide is the best method to disolve the 6-BA, if applied foliar.

Leaves are drying up as if pH is a serious issue.

September 21-28th:
100% dose of 6-benzylaminopurine to 3 cannabis plants.

Here’s a video update on the October 22nd, of how the dose of 1g 6-BA to .15ml Potassium Hydroxide, then mixed into 1000ml of distilled water, effected my leaves. They’ve have 3 treatments, over 28days, and 24 days recovery.

The roots look un-effected. As the video moves up, you’ll see the burnt leaves from the spray. I did occasionally pull the leaves, but most were left on to show the camera. The top growth shows great improvement.

Again, while I have noticed a slight difference in growth, I’m not convinced Potassium Hydroxide is the best method to disolve the 6-BA, if applied foliar. If I retest 6-BA in the future, I’ll be using a different method to disolve it.

pH is a serious issue with this method. Anyone who has text these test on cannabis, please message me on facebook or Google+.

“Aquaponic Dumme”

2 Likes

i would never be able to do what your doing. way too much workXD goodjob though. you really know your shit. using 6-ba isnt organic though. neither is ph up or down, i thought you were running an organic setup?

I still do consider myself to be as organic as possible. Technically FeEDDHA is non-organic, or any chelated iron for that matter, but in all aquaponics, it’s required. I also supplement micronutrients with non-organic solids, like PEX piping copper rings and galvanizing steel.

I don’t consider an isolated study of foliar spray to 3 plants to effect the “organic-ness” of the entire garden, even though using the same water. Any water access was sealed off.

1 Like

Hi Dumme, great topic! I’ve moved this into Advances Techniques and Experiments category, hope you don’t mind.

This is really university level experiment! Looking at your videos I’d say that I can recognize new shoots in vast amounts. But you only can tell the difference when considering time needed. Personally I’ve seen really nice shoots when using Mum 8 from Metrop on mothers, so I think sole nutrient (without hormones) can also promote growth very well.

If you could eliminate that leaf burn (do you think it comes from dissolve method rather than hormone itself?) it may have future! :rocket:

Anyway thanks for sharing, it is very informative!

No problem at all with the move. I wasn’t sure where to put it, with being so new to the forum.

Yes, I’m pretty sure the leaf burn is a direct result of Potassium Hydroxide. This is the reason I am now developing the duel root zones with soil.

I intend to repeat this 6-BA study with root watering application, and avoiding foliar in the future. My biggest fear is containing the total aquaponic water system with this method, but I’m pretty sure, if applied in small amounts, the new “soil-watering” method won’t effect the system as a whole. Ideas welcome on this…

3 Likes

Have you tried any buds grown with this method?
How did the drying/curing go?
How was the flavour?
I’m curious as some of the “benefits” of 6-BA are colour retention and increasing post-harvest life of plants.

1 Like

This study is on going. It’s being harvested, dried, and cured, as we speak. I’ll post updates as I gather them, and prep the footage.

2 Likes

My results of 6-BA on 3 Green Crack plants.

Taste 7.5 out of 10
Flavour 7.5 out of 10
Yield 2 out of 10

The 6-BA hormone didnt effect the taste, flavour, or meds, instead the over all yield was greatly effected by, what i can assume was, the Potassium Hydroxide, the solution was dissolved into.

Unfortunately, I lost the harvest video somehow, so you’ll just have to take my word that this first test was bunk. I’ve started a Soil-Aeroponic hybrid grow to continue this study in a fashion where the leaves wont get burn.

I’ll be continuing this thread with updates on 6-BA root treatments, and if you like this subject, stay tuned for Naphthaleneacetic acid or NAA to come…

1 Like

More or less a quick comment on BAP treatments.

I too have had problems with high ph with BAP, and other hormones that need KOH or NAOH to dissolve hormones, when I try to add them to to the correct ph solution, they flocculate. … bummer… I haven’t put too much thought to making a sprayable aqueous solution. Perhaps a different method?

The ones that dont need high ph or that use ethanol, are a bit easier to work into a ph corrected solution, they dont drop out as easily.

Looking forward to your experiment.

3 Likes

Wait, is the site, itself, necroposting? Lol.

1 Like

Im confused did the experiment take 3 years ?
I like pgr , science is good.

Well OP hasn’t been on the site in a year and a half… lol.

Our electronics are sentient. The site itself was wondering what ever came of this.

1 Like

Interested to see how this goes.

Do detergents like Polysorbate 20 or Tween 20 work to dissolve it like other hormones?

I learned about the potential benefits of 6-Benzylaminopurine after reading this article:(Plant Hormones (Phytohormones) | Manic Botanix). This article suggests " . . . application of BAP-6 (6-Benzylaminopurine) via foliar at 25-50ppm during early to mid-bloom, produces shorter, bushier plants with closer internodes, which join to form tighter and longer/larger flower clusters than would occur without the use of BAP-6".

Though the article does not explicitly report larger yields, I think that is what many of us would read into “tighter and longer/larger flower clusters.”

However, I noticed that the citations’ most recent publication date was 2014 and that none of the citations were specific to Cannabis. So I continued looking, and I found this article (Plants | Free Full-Text | Impact of Different Phytohormones on Morphology, Yield and Cannabinoid Content of Cannabis sativa L. | HTML), published in 2020, that tested morphology, yield, and cannabinoid content after exogenous application of 1-naphthaleneacetic (NAA), 6-benzylaminopurine (BAP), and a mixture of both (NAA/BAP-mix).

By my reading of the study, the results discouraged me from the application of benzylaminopurine. I suggest you read the article yourself, and I would greatly appreciate any feedback about whether I am reading it correctly.

The study’s metrics included: Plant Height, Axillary Branch Length, Yield of Inflorescence (flowers), and Cannabinoid Content. I’ve added my own comments/conclusion for your consideration after my summary of the findings for each metric and prefaced them with “Comments:”

Plant Height: “The results showed that total plant height was significantly reduced under the application of . . . BAP (18%)” (p.1).
Comments: This is an expected result - a reduction in apical dominance.

Axillary Branch Length: BAP-treated plants showed a significant reduction in axillar branching over the vegetative period, producing a 19% reduction in axillar branch length (p. 8).
Comments: This was also expected - shorter branches give the plants more stability during bud development - a.k.a. “shorter bushier plants.”

Number of Internodes of Axillar Branches: “The number of internodes was reduced by 10% (BAP) . . . compared to the untreated control” (p. 1).
Comments: I believe this is a problem. BAP is expected to produce closer internodes (though that is not measured in this study). But, if the axillar branch length is shorter (19%), combined with the 10% reduction of internodes, there would be fewer nodes, resulting in fewer vegetative shoots and, therefore, fewer bud sites.

Yield of Inflorescence (dry weight of flowers/buds): “Control plants . . . reached the highest inflorescence yield with 24.31 g plant−1 , followed by plants treated with NAA (23.51 g plant−1 ) and BAP (22.97 g plant−1 )” (p.9).
Comments: This suggests that applying Benzylaminopurine offers NO benefit to yield.

Cannabinoid Content (measured in both flowers and leaves): “Inflorescence and plant leaves treated . . . did not show any statistical differences between the plants exposed to growth regulators and the control plants.”
Comments: Unfortunately, this study only measured CBD

The study also found that plant morphology was highly dependent on each of the three different cultivars used in the testing and suggested that the application of plant growth regulators, such as Benzylaminopurine, be used on a genotype-specific level.

Thank you if you have taken the time to read this through to the end. If you read the original study, I would be interested in your feedback on my comments. NOTE: I’m not a scientist - just a bold hobbyist.

4 Likes

Whether it would be used at all is entirely dependent on the lines you’re growing. For a proper test you need something with a bit of an unmanageable stretch, that’s so unique you can’t imagine giving her up, or hybridizing her.

I’ve also been told that it should be used before the stretch, instead of early to mid bloom. Residuals aside, the intention is to control the size of the plant. Using it as a bud hardener ruins the quality of the end product IMO

2 Likes

Right you don’t spray it more than once or twice in the grow.
This is the safest synthetic pgr i have researched and it metabolizes well before the 4 weeks have past to harvest if you need to hit it a 2nd time after flip.

1 Like

Since I am not using correct lab methods (regarding research, not dissolving etc), this was only to see if it will cause bad strress.
Anywho here it is today. Per grow d info it is a stretchy OG. She is under 30K Lumens of LEDS i estimate 400-600 par if u use that converter.
So it is stretchy per breeder info Badazz Cookies OG / Seedsman strain info - GrowDiaries
Some heavy preflower and clustering goin on here.
https://media.growdiaries.com/static/post/photo/16958/3739175_grow-journal-by-gyoweedseedsmanbadazz-cookies-og.jpg

BTW it’s 24 hour light schedule and about 1.5 ft away from leds.

1 Like

Try ga3 next round, it works spectacularly, it also puts a solid 12" between internodes

I dissolved into isopropyl, then diluted to i think it was 140ppm. (Gotta dig up my notes), I gave it a light spray and watered with it. Within a few days she was starting to stretch, I want to say it was 2-3 wweeks later and I had male flowers coming out.