70% humidity in dry tent

I’m on my 4th harvest and it’s the second one in the new house. First harvest went well but I’m in a basement so I have humidity and heating issues. I don’t have a dehumidifier yet so I was wondering what are the chances of bud rot? I’ve never had PM either. I’ve got a fan blowing I directly on the buds in the tent and my ac infinity is on full power sucking and the air out of the tent. I’ve got passive intake as well. Any help is greatly appreciated! Cheers

5 Likes

Is it just the tent or is it the room the tent is in? The buds will raise the humidity a lot over the first couple of days.

Mine goes up to about 65% but drops down over a couple of days then I break out the humidifier to keep the humidity up.

If it’s just the tent then crank up your exhaust. With the fan blowing on the buds I think you’re ok.

If it’s the room I’d be a little concerned.

4 Likes

If the buds are wispy or not very big, there might not be any issues with 70% humidity, but I wouldn’t feel 100% safe. The humidity should definitely be reduced; I hate to be above 50%, but I grow decent sized and extremely dense buds. If a dehumidifier is not readily available, and if the buds are larger and/or pretty dense - oscillating fans should be placed on opposite ends of the tent facing each other. This ensures constant airflow covering the entirety of all of your buds.

6 Likes

Don’t you find that this dries the buds out just a little too much? I like to jar mine at around 60 and drying at 50 would make them drier than I’d like.

I do agree 70 is quite high.

2 Likes

OK…my bad. I wasn’t thinking in terms of a tent for drying buds, I was thinking in terms of growing :joy:. I have no personal experience with drying at that humidity level, so please just ignore me!

3 Likes

I have a humidifier in my curing space and keep it around 61-65% (to do this the humidifier is usually set about 30-35%). I hang them for 2 weeks and find that I don’t need much jar burping after that depending on the strain of course. I think about 61% with a cooler temp of 60-65 is good for hanging. I only use a small 6” fan circulating air at ground level when it’s full with fresh cut but generally just crack the zipper enough to get some air exchange and keep the humidity level correct. Works for me.

7 Likes

Thats what i aim for is 60 and temp as close to 60 as i can get it. Usually once its crisped i put in tupperware ( cause theyre big rectangles )and only needs burped a couple times n it ends up about perfect then i jar it n leave it closed except when i pull some out . I think the main thing in op situation is to make sure theres the steady air movement and exhaust. Ive never had mold or rot.

2 Likes

I do the same as @MBVapester and have never had a problem. Mine was close to 70% a few days with the temp at 65. It dropped to 60% and stayed pretty consistent. I need a humidifier the last few days.

Very little burping on most of the jars.

2 Likes

I top my plants so I don’t have big ole colas like I see on here. haha my buds are nickel and quarter size but they are dense.

1 Like

UPDATE. My plants came down on 5/23 and 5/27. humidity is still in the lower to mid 60% range. So far the drying is taking a while but no mold or PM. The two plants that came down on 5/27 got a wet trim and are about at the same point as the two that came down on 5/23 that are getting a dry trim. Next spring I will for sure have a dehu this is so damn stressful!

3 Likes

It’s rained just about every other day for the last month. The humidity has sat between 64 and 74%. tomorrow marks one month of hanging and I’m finally getting snapping in the stem. I’ll be pulling them down and finishing dry trim. I haven’t seen any pm or bud rot thank God. I can’t believe it’s been a while month of them hanging but I’ve already tested some and the terps and taste are super potent. Thanks for all the help!

4 Likes

Think about investing in a dehumidifier bro. It will be way sweeter not worrying about wpm and bud rot. They are only like 230$. Sell a half zip and get you a dehumidifier… and a inkbird controller. Damn got to flip the whole zip. But your next grow is going to be epic! Good luck bro.

2 Likes

Hell yeah bro I’ll look into the inc bird. I just bought a house and decided an extra tent and light was a better idea than a dehumidifier. It sucks having to worry so much but it all worked out in the end. no PM or rot and everything’s all jarred up. The only real strain I’ve grown was a mystery machine from James loud and that is really good. everything else has been bag seeds. they are all pretty good but damn that mystery machine is great. the next investments will be real genetics (probably more old school strains) a cloning set up and the dehumidifier. Thanks to everyone chiming in!

2 Likes

Got the Dehumidifier!

3 Likes

Another pro tip is if your worried about molds turn in a light

1 Like

You don’t need a dehumidifier at 64% that’s a nice slow dry! Just need good air exchange
If it’s not broke don’t fix it and how did the bud come out after you dried it??

1 Like

oh dude it was sitting about 70% most of the time. they hung for a full month. No mold or PM and tons of terps! the dehumidifier was necessary more so for the preservation of my house but not having to worry about humidity in the tent is an added bonus.

1 Like

Gotcha! Worried about your house

I was gonna say lol I love drying at 65%rh over 70%I might run the dehumidifier for like 30 mins every 2-3 hours

3 Likes
2 Likes

I’ll try to lower my air if I can. Get that air flow moving around. They make the little humidity buckets I’ve used them. Never really seen much. I’m having problems with heat right now. Out side of my room is over a hundred degrees Fahrenheit. It keeps me up right now.

1 Like