99's Fling in the Tin Foil Forest

Agent 99?

1 Like

No such thing as too much aeration

1 Like

Agreed.

The rice hulls provide aeration, but they also tend to break down after a short period and then hold more water. With a 40% mix, I find the roots penetrate without effort and the soil remains friable right up to the next re-potting, or harvest. I like it.

6 Likes

What’s the percentage of perlite in this mix and how often are you watering? Asking for a friend cough who will never get watering right :grin:

1 Like

I water less frequently by roughly 1-2 days always.

The Perlite is roughly 15% of the mix it comes in. That is roughly 20% of the total mix, So that ends up being about 3% of the total mix, right?

1 Like

I tried to directly substitute the rice hulls for the perlite in my mix and it failed big-time. You need more, up to 35%-40% aeration instead of 30%. And with that much you need to water more often.

IMO rice hulls aren’t quite like perlite. They’re heavier, so your containers are heavier. A bale of dry PBH is 50 pounds, perlite is like 10. Also they do become wet and hold water unlike perlite.

2 Likes

I’ve been using lava rock (scorria) for my aeration at about 30% way heavier than perlite. Pumice is preferred, but expensive here for some reason. I use the rice hulls as an amendment at about 10% and mulch layer. This is for a large, no-till bed so the extra weight is not really an issue.

1 Like

Just made up a batch of soil this morning. I will be transplanting the SFV OG’s sometime this weekend.

Want to go and get more containers.

3 Likes

what size are you going up to? I think part of the deal with rice hulls is that you’re not just replacing perlite for aeration, you’re replacing part of the rest of your mix too, it’s aeration and a growing medium too.

I don’t see pumice or lava rock around on the east coast, I guess we’re too far from any volcanos.

2 Likes

They sell lava rock at most lowes or landscaping companies.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/GRO-WELL-0-5-cu-ft-Lava-Rock/1000142723

1 Like

I am going up to the 12" container again (you know, Storm Trooper Styleee). Those hold just under 4 gallons, and these are around 1 gallon.

I do not expect them to get root bound, but we’ll go with these in case they do.

Everything seems to move much slower under ground with this soil I use 1/2 the water when I water, and I water much less frequently. The males I just culled looked perfect and were no where near root bound after 1 week into flip. I love this soil.

2 Likes

Available within a 15 minute drive of me at Lowes.

@ReikoX These are for a grill. Are they the same thing? Charcoal flavored buds :confused:

1 Like

Almost 24 hours to the minute later…

4 Likes

No. They are landscaping rocks. The ones for the grill, I would stay away from.

2 Likes

I doubt I will ever need them, but I figured I would try to locate them.

I’ll check around the local store some more.

Maybe it is a southwest thing. Zero-scaping i.e. (no plants in the yard) is popular here in the desert.

1 Like

Home Depot has these

2 Likes

Ouch, at $4 a quart?

1 Like

Oh nonsense, its a full quart and a half :laughing:

1 Like

There is bulk too.

This is $15

4 Likes