A Guide For Newbies On Transplanting

How I Transplant For No Shock
Step 1 fill the bag or pot 2/3 then press down so its squishy still but not packed super tight

Step 2 ,then i put my 16oz cup in to measure my distance to top of bag,i want it level to the lip as it will drop below when watered

Step 3 i use a litre of water and slow pour it in and wait for it to soak through,then i use lightly press it flat,then cover the top with dry medium,this is key as it will dampen up as you continue,yet not saturate the rootball.

Step 4 i place an empty 16oz cup in the middle and they cup and gently press it down,now your cup should be below your bag or pot lip.

Step 5 now add your medium all around the cup half way up and then press it squishy around the cup,then add more and again press it down till your medium is a 1/2in under cup lip.

Step 6 remove the empty cup, you now have a perfect fitting hole for the plant being transplanted.Edited as per @Meesh 's input and suggestion

6A remove plant to go in the hole

6B notice the the roots ringing.This is the start of RootBound which prevents your plant from growing to its full potential

A really rootbound planttaken from google image
download.jpeg-14
When root bound happens its best to tickle or disturb the roots,take note to be gentle as you want to minimize damaging the roots as this will stunt or shock your plant.I use the round end of plastic take-out knife to feather the roots open.**its best if you can transplant before it becomes bound to reduce affecting your plant.
I opened up the rings on this one.Notice the one root ripped off this will cause minimal if any shock to the plant.Yet no matter how careful you are,Stuff can happen.

Step 7 put plant in hole

Step 8 i use just enough water to cover the surface of the entire bag area and then lightly press it down.

Step 9 add more soil to fill a 1/4 below your bag or pot lip and again water just enough to wet the surface area and lightly press it again

Step 10 a happy no stressed no wilted plant in its new home.

By soaking the bottom half of your medium and then covering in a layer of dry medium you give the roots a buffer zone.By watering the top half just enough to make it damp,it forces the roots to go down into the wet soil,and your top half being damp gives the air roots breathing room.In 2 to 3 days i will give them a 1/2 litre of plain water,then a 1/2 litre of 1/4 strength feed.This has worked great for me with no shock or droopy leaves for years.Hope it can help out any that struggle to transplant.I also like to transplant in early morning or evening and always in a shaded place.Indoors under low light.

You can also check out my indoor grow Smkn is Back and Rarin' To Grow

28 Likes

You must have really happy plants if you treat them like this since the very beguinning Arriba|nullxnull , useful info, thanks for sharing … beer3|nullxnull

5 Likes

@George1961 Thanks George they sure seem happy.I did 10 last night.Thats them in the tent 5hrs after transplant.They are even perkier today and grew more to.

Transplanted 17 this evening and have another 16 to do tomorrow.

10 Likes

Hope you are in a legal state frech|nullxnull , that’s a lot of work and apparently well done, looking great … beer2|nullxnull

16 days ago i soaked 45 beans.In 16 days they grew crazy.Perfect for transplant done yesterday.

Soaked seeds in glasses,placed by the window,within 12 to 24hrs all had taproots.Put them in 16oz beer cups of Promix seedling mix and under 3 Tolys 1000w LED

7 Likes

I am in Canada paid 500 and got my ACMPR license.lets me carry around 2.5oz dry bud and grow 350 plants indoors

8 Likes

Hey man, how about changing the title of the thread to “Basic Transplant Guide”, I thought the newbie was the author and don’t see anyone around … :sweat_smile:

Its for Newbies i am an old Newbie​:wink:is that better now :sunglasses: i also put a link in at the start to my indoor thread.

3 Likes

Much better now Arriba|nullxnull, wish I were half of the noob you are :sweat_smile:, I cannot imaging legally growing all those plants, you must live in Dreamland … beer3|nullxnull

3 Likes

I am bro :sunglasses: but already thinking about upping to 490 plants,when i factor in the 10 strains i have going now.Plus mothers,fathers,clones and new photo period genetics.Plus the regular autos and fem autos i am pla ning on getting for a winter seed projects.I am starting to think 350 is not enough.

I got my licence through Cannabis Growing Canada paid $500 then a doctor calls has a 10 minute convo and issues you the perscription.Everyone is guranteed approval…Documents come with perscription.Send to Health Canada and your registered and licence is issued.

5 Likes

We’re slightly going off topic :sweat_smile:, why don’t you open a grow diary?, people thinking big are fun to follow, specially for those like me being worried about breeding just six plants :sweat:, share your freedom with us … :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I put a link in at the top post😉

1 Like

Will have seeds by the New Year.Any new growers who post pics using my transplant guide,will be sent seeds when they are done…As well as sharing with the OG community till we OverGrow the world.

8 Likes

Sorry, my bad, I remember watching it in the beginning but founded too sophisticated for me embaressed_smile|nullxnull , I am more fan of the “playin’ in the dirt” style, more affordable … beer3|nullxnull

George my grow is straight forward and simple for a simple minded dude like me.heck i made a ghetto humid dome out of poly with a cool mister .I have done a couple of hydro grows but i much prefer playing in the dirt.I have always been a believer of keeping it as simple as i can.

3 Likes

I always tickle or disturb the roots a bit on purpose so they will cross the medium easier, especially the first transplant from promix to soil. I want them to start using “real” nutrients as soon as possible from the new soil. Other than that, I do it the same way. lol

4 Likes

@Meesh Spot on input, I agree with you :+1: as a seasoned grower you know how to tickle the roots without wrecking them.Any input is always welcomed.I will add a pic of root tickling so they can try after a few successful transplant.I just remember being overwhelmed when I first started growing :rofl:

Just put it up for 1st time or newbie grower ,to get them used to transplanting with little error and take off the new grower stress of transplant shock and drooping.

5 Likes

I love it! It came out great!

1 Like

@LOTF
Hey bro if you follow this guide.you should have no issues.It will work the same moving from 1gal to 5 or 10gal

I’m just paranoid about transplanting during flower. I guess i will hang the new ceramic metal halides and throw these babies into flower!!! We will be on the same cycle lol