A Small Grow on the Big Island

Greetings Overgrow!

I’ve been reading, learning and I’m a bit overwhelmed with all of the impressive information, wisdom and wit here on Overgrow. What an incredible resource for my first grow here on Heritage Hamakua Coast of The Big Island of Hawai’i.

It is with wide eyed excitement, a hint of trepidation and just enough fear that I set out on this quest back in January to produce my first harvest in Hawai’i. I wanted to wait until I had some progress to show before posting on Overgrow so this thread will begin showing what has been done and finish up at harvest time.

I’m Looking forward to sharing this inaugural grow with the gang here on The OG and making some new friends in the process. All comments and suggestions are very much welcomed, I’m here to learn.
Thank you to the OG community for all the information so far.

So, Let’s Do This!
Day one 9/9/2024 0800 Aleutian Standard time.

We begin with WidowMaker seeds (White Widow x AK47 created by @repins12 and gifted to me by my long time amigo @grouchyoldman).

The seeds are soaking and my Greenhouse is set and ready for a hybrid, LED-assisted Big Island enriched soil grow.

The WidowMaker (WM) seeds from were snuggled into their warm moist paper towel. Upon opening them up this morning it looks as if they are doing well, and on the way to a new home in the cubes. Aside from one who seems not want to come out of her shell
One of the little sprouts has a curly pig tail, I have my eye on that one.

I’ve been advised that growing under a roof with artificial lighting will help manage the challenging conditions for growing in Hawaii, so I’ve been shopping for a good grow light. My order was placed for this light VIPARSPECTRA 2024 XS1500 Pro LED Grow Light from the amazone. The waiting game begins as to which “free shipping method” they will choose. By air or by sea?

37 Likes

Welcome to Overgrow @TARpits!

I hoped you would end up on Overgrow as an active contributor and I think you’ll enjoy the place and the people.

[Full Disclosure, @TARpits and I have been friends for many moons, so I’m stoked he’s here. He’s good people and I think he’ll be a credit to Overgrow]

So, @TARpits, Great Start! Those sprouts look robust, they just blew out of their shells! @repins12 is a craftsman seed machine who has graced many of us with his quality work.

Peace and Blessings on your grow,
-Grouchy :v: :green_heart:
PS, Hey guys, this one should be fun to watch! @repins12, @BU2B, @Gpaw, @Sodapop, @Ronsonmatsuo4, @Papalag @JOHN1234 @BeTheLight @SaintAliasKnife @LoveDaAutos @Rhino_buddy @Jetdro @Bobgrows

21 Likes

TaGGING along and pulling up a chair. Awesome <3

9 Likes

Hi there welcome to the community

GOM is a good dude and a great member of our community

I’ll be sitting in my recliner in the corner joint rolled popcorn in hand
Let the show begin

Bring it on
Puff :dash: puff :dash: pass

9 Likes

Welcome @TARpits !
Any friend of Grouchys is a good friend indeed!
Stick around! Have a smoke! Enjoy reading along!

Looks like you have a great start to things! :v:

9 Likes

Aloha @TARpits, nice to have you here. Best of luck with your seeds, may you grow trees.

:dove:

:green_heart:

7 Likes

Welcome @TARpits to OG. Good luck with your journal and your plants.

5 Likes

Welcome. 🥸 I am very interested in your grow-show and your big island. I see you have many friends and hope you make many more. :grin:

5 Likes

I’m out of likes but I’ll pull up and hang out. Looks like a great start to a new beginning!!

5 Likes

@Gadarien A post is as good as a like! Welcome in.

5 Likes

Welcome new comer to OG. Now that you 🫵 got a ticket :ticket: to The Greatest Show On Earth :earth_americas:! You need to strap :seat: in for the ride :roller_coaster: of your 🫵 life and are now welcome to step inside for the show :circus_tent:! :tophat::clap::tophat::clap::tophat::clap: 🫨 :ok_hand: :+1: :facepunch: :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Thank you one and all for the warm welcome I appreciate the love.

@TARpits

4 Likes

I’m interested. Watching this. :beers:

4 Likes

Welcome @TARpits ! So stoked to see what you’re cooking on the Big island. You got some good genetics to start. Gary knows his stuff. :wink:

Here’s hoping your light flys over, so you have time to get her set up and played with. :teddy_bear::yo-yo:

Again, welcome to the best community in the world. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @TARpits ! Happy to have you along for the journey. It will be interesting to see the OTHER side of the coin - I live in the desert southwest. We have actually heard of humidity out here but the stories evaporate pretty quickly in the light of day. :slight_smile: :v:

6 Likes

Much aloha! :call_me_hand: I hope your grow is blessed by all the ancestors.

7 Likes

Welcome to the site looking forward to your progress.

4 Likes

Hey @TARpits Welcome to Overgrow!!

Any bud of GOM is a bud of mine! :+1:
I’ll park over by the fire and start loading the party bong…

Cheers
G

4 Likes

I carefully moved each sprout into a rapid rooter cubes. Here are a couple photos.

I also purchased this light too keep the seedlings happy.

I placed it about 14 inches from the seedlings. I have it set on full spectrum as of now. I installed the PhoTone app on my phone, but I don’t know what the numbers mean yet, and I guess I will need to upgrade the app to unlock some features.

Any info is most appreciated. I did do some searching but there is a lot of information on all sides and I don’t have enough knowledge to make educated choices.

14 Likes

I always eyeball light distance, watch the plants, they will tell you what to do.

Some plants like more, some less, they don’t follow apps and numbers.

Welcome and thank you for sharing your grow here, you had me at “enriched soil”, watching!

Feel free to elaborate on the “enriched” part, we enjoy details. :sunglasses: :+1:

6 Likes