Abandon the HPS and flower with MH?

I was listening to a podcast and the guy from Mass Medical was talking about lighting spectrums etc. He said people are using MH from start to finish these days and abandoning their HPS for flower. According to him what you lose in yield, you make up for in terps etc. Your thoughts OG?

The part on lighting is in there but I can encourage listening to the whole thing.
:cowboy_hat_face:

7 Likes

I’ve heard of people doing this to help keep pure sativas short. Haven’t heard about doing it for terps though. Interesting!

4 Likes

I grew in the early 90’s with a homemade ballast and mh for flower cause that’s all I had. Worked fine for me. I still think the 430w phillips son agros were the shizzle. Not a fan of HPS although the double ended do seem to do a better job imo. I’ve also experimented with using multi-spectrum, and my very anecdotal evidence is the mixed spectrum does better. My 2 cents anyway. :wink:

3 Likes

They do make a bulb that is a 600 watt hps and a 400 watt mh in one bulb, also eye hortilux bulbs have a elevated level of blue compared to most. I’m highly considering led but cant afford them atm

7 Likes

I remember seeing a few garden setups that included MH for flower because they increase resin production apparently.
If it were me though I’d just invest in a CMH than ditch the HPS. Or run both.

3 Likes

Many years ago ran MH all the way thru was totally happy with the outcome in both volume and flavour. Now I am only running CMH and it does not have the penetration of MH but comparing 315 to 1000 watts is not really fair either. I have to say I am very happy with the smell and flavour and the power saving is a bonus. Not really looking for another light source only dankier genetics.

7 Likes

I was listening to a podcast (can’t remember which one) where Duke Diamond of Dominian seeds was being interviewed and would switch to MH in the last 2 weeks I think it was, saying that it put the trichomes and Terps through the roof. He said you sacrifice a tad on yield but said it was worth it.

4 Likes

I’m gonna try that this grow along with taking the glass off my hood the last few weeks.

5 Likes

I usually adjust my LEDs to make the the light stronger and with more red as the plant flowers. I have both 4,000K and 2,700K lights on a dimmer… I’ve never tried switching back at the end of flower. Maybe I’ll try that with my 16oz. cup challenge. :thinking:

5 Likes

Yesssir. I also grew in the early 80s with 400 watt MH only.
Ballast looked like a briefcase! Parabolic reflectors and all. Good times but not much success. Peace…

6 Likes

When I used mh only I got really leafy harvest…it grew big and fast…but flowers were less, and more leafy

3 Likes

That’s what I’m getting from the podcast zeitgeist.
Last 2 or 3 weeks sounds more reasonable. Nuttn’ but love bro…

1 Like

Really! Link? Tell me more…

It’s made by eye hortilux if I remember correctly, havent used them myself but was always intrigued

2 Likes

https://eyehortilux.com/grow-lights/dual-arc/

I’ll be damned. There it is. The price is alarming but maybe worth it. I dunno.

3 Likes

I used 5000k t5’s for full growth for yrs. Never seen a big difference in smoke when I switched to hps. I’d go with cmh I think if led wasn’t an option.

1 Like

That is one cool looking bulb.

1 Like

I ran one of those bulbs about a decade ago, and I really wasnt impressed… The hortilux “eye” 1000 did circles around it… It seemed “weak”… low lumen output. Give it 2 stars out of 5… But, the idea gets 5 stars. Maybe there better today?

4 Likes

Thanks for that @CLOSETGROWTH. I’ll take your word anytime. Great idea. If I had a “room” to grow in I would have both hps and mh.

1 Like

Im still hooked on the cmh thing. I think that would be the way to go… low power to run, full spectrum and long lasting bulb. Decisions, decisions… Are you shying away from that idea? Or is it the initial expense??

2 Likes