Addicted to HAZE - Haze only thread (Part 1)

I’m not the best about uploading my grows but I’ll try to update regularly, really excited to see these PCF genetics get flowered out

2 Likes

I grew the shiatsu myself and it’s a interesting strain. I grew out several girls and there was only two distinct pheno, both identical in growth some were very piney like a Xmas tree type pine, the other ones smelled of burnt rubber and body odor to the point it made the whole house uninhabitable for a moment. giant sativa type plants that finish in around 9 weeks. I crossed the shiatsu to a Durban male and the one I’ve grown from the cross was 15ft tall in a 25 gallon pot and finished in roughly ten.

1 Like

I’ve super stoked for both iron cindy x shiatsu and straight up shiatsu - they have been on my mind for years - this summer is the start !

The ones I am growing have the characteristic of the leaves getting thinner as the plant grows - a very landrace trait

thanks for sharing your experience - I’d be really pleased with vanilla / pine terps

1 Like

I have a Quicksilver plant from Snowhigh I’m flowering now. It is Iron Cindy(C99xMetal Haze)x(C99xAculpulcoGold) does it count as a haze?

3 Likes

Pics ? That sounds great !

1 Like

I’ll snap some fresh photos in a bit. Just starting to bloom. I’ve been documenting it on this thread about my basement. Garden-Buddy's Basement

1 Like

What makes something a “Haze”? I’ve heard it is a strain created by crossing several landrace genetics, which ones? Who did the breeding? I’ve heard skunkman Sam say he put out Columbia n haze that he got from “the haze brothers” did he make the strain? or just work the line? How do modern "Hazes compare to the original haze whatever that is? Tell me about the haze high, what are haze flavors like? Are there any resources you could point me to? Whoopsy if this has already been talked about somewhere in this thread.

4 Likes

Foreigner too tired for context:

21 Likes

Here’s the Quicksilver.

21 Likes

There’s a documentary I can’t remember the name about how in the 70s hippies in California brought short flowering seeds back home from Afghanistan/India/Pakistan and combined them with the more traditional long flowering Mexican/Columbian etc varieties to make them more suitable to their climate.

There are many things by the same name and maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

Long flowering - fluffier buds - higher high = haze

5 Likes

At this point, I feel like the “Haze” label is just a catch-all for anything that’s stretchy, takes a while to finish and makes people feel “up” (read: racy), as long as it contains just the slightest bit of actual Haze genetics. Breeders have, for decades now, been taking real Haze genetics and crossing them with something, anything, that reduces stretch/flower time, without considering (or caring?) that whatever “Indica” they’re breeding into it is probably also significantly altering the high. You can read those old Dutch “Haze” descriptions where they say,”Shorter plants! Quicker finish! But we still retained that classic Haze high!” And then you blaze it and it isn’t anything at all like any Haze-dominant flower that I’ve ever blazed. “Racy,” sure, but that, to me, isn’t at all what any real long-flowering, tall, stretchy NLD has ever smoked like.

Don’t get me wrong, there are really good examples of Hazes and Haze hybrids out there. But lately I get the feeling that slapping “Haze” on anything that has narrow leaves and takes more than like eleven weeks to finish is the new “thing.” Kinda like how anything crossed with GSC was all the rage for the last 8+ years and, before that, how everybody just slapped “OG” on the end of any hybrid, even if it didn’t grow/smoke like an OG at all.

11 Likes

This is a pretty interesting read: The Haze story and more. Warning: very long read | International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums

You’ll have to “click to expand” on all the posts haha.

9 Likes

Also the industry is going in the quickest and cheapest direction possible which leads to these mythologies of haze which is the exact opposite of the fast cheap good ethos.

5 Likes

Yeah, poking around a little, that is what I found. Was originally a super hybrid of landrace genes from India, Thailand, Colombia, Mexican Sativas that came out of Santa Cruz in the 60s. Was then exported to Amsterdam and worked by dutch/American expat breeders. At this point pretty much anything with an energetic/spacey high is at risk of being called “this or that haze”. I’m intrigued by Neville’s Haze, Original Columbian Haze, The Piff, and Church strains.

2 Likes

You’re just now “poking around a little” about what comprises Haze? Okay, then…

Do they have beavers in Hawaii? Look what happened to my Maui Mango Haze!

She turned a nice bit of magenta.

And she smells sugary.

22 Likes

I know, I know. Haze is legendary weed, I’ve only ever encountered pineapple haze, but who knows what that really is with all the hype marketing of haze this or haze that.

I had heard the haze brothers story and knew it was supposed to be a cross of hippie landrace Sativas, but have never really delved deep into the history and development of all the Hazes. I’ve only recently gotten to grow and share openly about what I’m growing and doing.

Now it seems that a lot of stuff that is energetic and inspiring just gets the label “haze” slapped on it and that what haze ever actually was is even hazy.

5 Likes

over the years I stayed away from Haze strains due to their long flower times, But ran some haze strain from MassMedical and like the results - going to run a total haze strain grow - any suggestions ?

3 Likes

Authentic Genetics has TONS of crosses with an ON Haze male. Rare Dankness has Ghost Train Haze. Top Dawg, Piff Coast, Doc D, AKBB, and a few others have good hazes.

9 Likes

Thanks ! great information — what is your “go-to” haze strain ?