Addicted to HAZE - Haze only thread (Part 1)

Assorted Super Silver Cough F2 at 40 days.
Super Silver Cough is Ft. Collins Cough (90’s NL5 x Haze clone) x Super Silver Haze F3

Strong pungent spicy haze scent, but the fluffy one is lemon-citronella-metallic. 35-45 days to go.

39 Likes

Mmm…strong pungent spicy haze scent. I always look forward to seeing what @vernal is up to. Always killin it. Beautiful work.

4 Likes

@vernal what’s the story with the 90s NL5 x Haze clone?

7 Likes

General consensus is that it’s NL5 x Haze. Popular in Colorado until the more contemporary stuff started circulating. Someone told me it’s originally from Vermont in the very early 90’s. Came from Neville stock, but some people say someone here stateside crossed haze with a NL plant and these are the results. Takes about 12 weeks from my understanding. Dynasty uses it, has had it since early 2000’s.

I had it a couple times in Colorado (it’s still available at a few dispos) but I’ve never ran the clone by itself…yet. Working on sourcing it now for a backcross haha.

11 Likes

Here a hazy haze but never had the time or will to let it flower all the way

image image image

28 Likes

Some news from the Ocean’s Twelve Haze.
Take a look to her dedicated thread here to see all the pics.

Day 69

Day 72

Day 77

20 Likes

Super silver haze…put into flower nov 22…probably started showing sex 10-14 days after that. Topped to control height.

27 Likes

What makes a haze a haze?

4 Likes

I am also curious to see if that can be clarified. Never really thought to ask that, myself.

Also on this note, I am thinking (at this time, lol) that my next run will be Ghost Train Haze #1 fem bean, which I will also take 2 clones from to do a seed run :smiley:

4 Likes

Haze is a 4-way sativa cross originated from the haze brothers and skunkman sam in california in the 70s.

7 Likes

Haze is itself a flavor category, which also describes the typical expected effect of the smoke and growth habit of the plant.

In Europe there is a historically predominant preference to smoking cannabis products mixed with tobacco, such as hashish and tobacco or flower and tobacco. In fact, this is where the word Joint originally came from: Joining Tobacco+Cannabis is a “Joint” while all-Tobacco is a “Cigarette” and all-Cannabis is a “Spliff”.

Because of this culture, the flavors of cannabis were very seldom appreciated by masses. This cultural habituation largely occluded flavor in cannabis herb; in prior decades, it precipitated breeding and growing efforts toward a focus on effect (primarily).

Essentially, since everything was smoked with tobacco, no one was breeding for flavor; only potency. The result was selection for high potency cerebral plants.

As we know, the terpenes in concert with cannabinoids and other secondary metabolites are largely what is responsible for delivering the high which an individual feels.

When (mostly Western) cannabis enthusiasts with discerning palates try many of these longer-flowering highly psychoactive varietals bred in Europe (mostly The Netherlands) throughout the 1980s/90s we tend to call the mix of common terpenes we encounter: “haze”

Much like how there are many specific smells which comprise, “skunk”; and so cannabis is described as “skunk” when it carries those notes (rotten flesh, ammonia, other noxious gases etc.), while also growing a “skunk” plant with that expected structure.

So Skunk = The suite of terpenes (and therefore range of highs) which correspond to the growth characteristics (squat single cola growth with fast flowering time and lots of leaves, minimal lateral branching and short internodal spacing) which are all known as “Skunk”.

The same is true of “Jacks” which carry a range (suite) of terpenes from citrus, such as lemon/lime/grapefruit/pineapple, but also carries pungent chemical cleaner smells such as lemon pine-sol. Jack’s growth habit is very distinct as well, with its vigorous stretch and longer internodal spacing and large bud set and common foxtailing.

The same is true of “OGs” which carry fuels/gas terpenes (and that specific “OG” funk) and offers a specific plant structure: that stretches substantially, with golf-ball sized colas all up and down the branches.

Hazes, Skunks, OGs, Jacks, etc.

These are all combinations of:
-Grower Lingo: to describe what to expect to other growers.
-Smoker Lingo: to describe what to expect to other smokers.

So when we say, “Haze” we are talking about a specific type of Narrow-Leaf Drug type plant, as expressed in its many related hybrids. We aren’t talking about Durbans, which have long sprawling swooping branches laden with heavy bud set. We’re talking about:

-Flowers 16+ Weeks
-Cerebral, soaring, psychedelic high; paranoia, anxiety
-“Hazey” notes on smell+flavor (pepper, sandalwood, patchouli; burnt spices/incense)
-Flowers with looser wispier colas, lots of foxtailing is common.

There can also be added more detail to what “haze” is. And some of what Haze is overlaps with some of what Durbans are; just as some of what Skunk is, overlaps with some of what Afghanis are; and overlaps with what some of Hindus are, and so on.

In the vast spectrum of flavors and morphologies and cultivation requirements, the dials of each can be tuned individually, resulting in crazy diversity. We as smokers and growers and breeder use these different words as “cognitive schemas” or “archetypes” to communicate a whole range of attributes regarding variations in:
-growth characteristics / morphology
-smoking flavor, smell, and effect
-flowering times

So you will have some who say, “This Afghani Lemon Haze which flowers and finishes in 10 weeks is a haze.”
Because that person is describing: That the flower smokes/tastes like Haze, or the plant looks like Haze in its branching/floral morphology.

But a true connoisseur and master like Frenchy Cannoli, will say, “if it flowers in less than 16 weeks, it isn’t a Haze.”
Because he is describing: The hard genetic requirements of what “Hazes” are: long flowering.

The same sentiment can be said about Indica/Sativa/hybrid nomenclature in popular culture. While these taxonomical classifications are as incorrect as they are limiting in helpfulness, we have used them for decades now. I once heard a Preservationist claim:
“If it is 100% Sativa, then it is a Sativa. But if you cross it with any Indica ever, it is no longer a Sativa. Now it’s a hybrid. And a Hybrid smokes like a Hybrid smokes, and a Sativa smokes like a Sativa smokes.”

So there is this idea of Purity: that if you take a “Sativa” (ie. “Haze”) which flowers in 16 weeks and cross it to an “Indica” (ie. a Lemon pheno of Afghani) you might come up with “Afghani Lemon Haze” which flowers in 10-12 weeks and grows a little like each plant… but it is no longer a “Sativa” or a “Haze” and it is no longer an “Indica” or an “Afghani”–it is now and forever more, a “Hybrid” of the two: and the effect will always be a hybrid effect.

So part of why “Haze” is so mysterious, is because a lot of people over many years have used the word “Haze” to describe a range of different qualities; from the high to the flower morphology to the flowering time to the smoke taste to the growth habit.

The same is true of Skunk and OG and now, these days Cookies and many others. When traits are recognized and categorized, they become a cognitive schema or “archetype” with which others may call upon.

A similar thing happens in popular movies/television which is called “Tropes”. And of course, in psychology they are called “cognitive schemas”, and in literature they are called “archetypes”. In cannabis we call them (incorrectly) “strains”, when we are often talking of cultivars (or cultigens or chemovars) or their corresponding markets.

Hey hey, grow haze every day.

57 Likes

Now this is the type for excellent content I’m looking for! Gotta jump on the haze train then because everything you’ve described is exactly what I’m looking for in cannabis! Thanks for making this community so wholesome and full of excellent content!!!

7 Likes

Damn. Love every cat piss pot I ever tried.

4 Likes

My hazey hydro set up. Honey Badger Haze on the left side of the screen, and Todd’s On Haze on the right side. Sorry still veggers.

11 Likes

a big one down under

24 Likes

That’s really cool the way you opened that up with the posts. What sort of genetics does she have.

That’s the best explanation, with the most pertinent info, that I’ve ever read. I got back into growing only 5 years ago and never got much about the genetics after the 70’s.

I’ve sort of already knew some of that about haze but always wondered why the European seeds I got were awesome plants but not much on flavor and I never put the tobacco thing together. That makes perfect sense.

I started back growing with seeds from people mostly in Europe on Sannies OpenGrow forum. Now I understand a lot more looking back.

Thanks for taking the time to type that. Very well done. peace

8 Likes

Tangie haze is the seed stock

2 Likes

flowering time of 75 days

1 Like

originally from crockets haze but developed here for our climate yield apox 30 ozies

1 Like

As you can see, it strongly depends on who you ask and what they mean. Many people call any narrowleaf tropical “haze”. Many people call a certain scent profile common in narrowleaf plants “haze” smell.

To make it easy, though…haze is descendants of Haze C and Haze A males. Mostly Haze C.

No one knows exactly what they are, but they’re probably mostly Colombian stock.

13 Likes