Adventures in hydro #3 - AAA or Air Atomized Aeroponics - for sure!

I just realized you sent two different crosses. I happened to sprout the Ghost Toof #2 x SBR.

So, if three plants yield 100 gms dry, thats 300 grams over 9 weeks which is 4.7 gm/day yield. Thats slightly better than the 4.5 gm/day I had in soil, but a good bit less than the 7+ Ive been getting in hydro.

If I went with 4 plants that would up the yield to 6.3 gm/day, which would be plenty with this fast a turn around.
I might be able to do 4 plants just fine, but will have to wait and see how this goes first. Im worried about root crowding, but we wont know until I actually try it.

I think its going to depend on how well they respond to my scrog training and if I can keep the roots happy.

They seem to be developing just fine s far. Five days since they popped. Another day or two and they will be tall enough to transplant into the system.

Im running these with a 20/4 light schedule at low wattage so far.

3 Likes

@shroomgod - is that the same strain? Was that after harvest or part way through or? Im wondering what kind/size of root mass I will end up with.

I decided to start the autos in the system. Its interesting to see the differences in root structure at this early stage. Im curious to see if this continues as they grow.

Im starting off with an EC of 0.4, PH=5.7 at the moment - subject to change…

Timing is 0.7 sec ON / 30 sec OFF. I’ll look at the roots in an hour or so and see how wet things look.

5 Likes

This is such unknown territory. I cant wait to see how these turn out. Dont think I’ve ever seen an auto run in an aero setup.

3 Likes

Im really excited too.

They have been in the system for almost 24 hours. The lights just came back on - Im running 2 hrs off and 22 ON at the moment at low wattage - about 100 watts = 13.5 watts/sq ft. I’ll slowly ramp that up after they get adjusted to the new environment.

Right after the lights came on, they looked a tad droopy. The roots are plenty wet, so Im hoping its just that they took a short nap while the lights were off and/or they are still adjusting.

Im going to leave the roots on the wet side until they look like they are getting settled in and start growing some. Then I will see if i can dial in some fuzzy hairs.

This is Day 7 from sprout.

3 Likes

After reading through this thread again I got a great idea from @beacher.

https://overgrow.com/t/hybrid-venturi-vortex-aeration-system-for-rdwc

I decided to try sticking a short piece of air line tubing into the intake side of my aquarium pump that is circulating/fluming the rez. I ran the tubing outside the ice chest through the smal hole for the pump power cord. Now the pump pulls in fresh air, and breaks it down into small bubbles every time it runs. I get fresh air into the rez while still keeping it sealed up from light contamination and keeping it cool.

This is a much better solution than what I have been doing so far, and super easy to do. Wish I had thought of it myself :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I finally got the new access hatch cut into the side of the root chamber. Now I can get much better pics and videos of whats going on in there.

Here is the latest shot of the mist quality with the current settings 0.7 ON x 40 OFF.

3 Likes

Day 8 report:

Fuzzy hairs are starting to show up! There were some signs early this morning. You still have to look close, but even more are visible this evening. Plants #1 and #3 have the most. The center #2 plant just barely has any, but its the runt of the litter.

Not much growth up top yet, but the roots are starting to grow.

Its only been one day, but the new setup with the air suction line into the rez seems to be working well. I had the timeing on the pump at 2 minutes ON and 30 minutes OFF at first and that was driving the PH up too fast. I am now at 2 min ON x 2 hours OFF and that seems to be better. The PH has gone from 5.7 to 5.8 in about the last 12 hours. That seems like a reasonable rate for PH increase. More importantly, the rez still smells fresh.

I was re-watching that video I just posted and noticed a whistling noise at the end. Plus, the final mist ON cycle seemed to last longer than it should. It now looks like one of my air solenoids is acting up. It seems to be getting stuck partly open, but it only happens at odd times. So far, I cant tell which one it is for sure. Fortunately, I have a spare solenoid I can swap out as soon as I figure out which one it is for sure.

6 Likes

This is the same section of roots on the #1 plant - left side is from this morning and right side is aprox 12 hours later.

6 Likes

Day 11 since they cracked and things are going well. Not perfect, but good I think. All the roots are growing and showing fuzzy hairs - some more than others. The leaves also look good despite one mishap that chopped off part of one leaf tip.

The #1 (left most) plant continues to out grow the other two. It also has the most fuzzy hairs and the most roots so far.

The current rez setup is working very well. Ph is very manageable (climbing very slowly) and things are staying fresh. I have been helping the fresh part with 1 PPM of chlorine every few days. Thats 1/2 the usual sterile rez dosage. Im going to stop the chlorine as of today and see how things go. I still think the chlorine is holding back the fuzzy hairs, but we will see.

Im still running things a little on the wet side. Im going to leave it that way until the plants get a bit bigger and the root mass is larger.

4 Likes

They look very similar to mine that I started two weeks ago. Keep up the good work. :+1::seedling:

4 Likes

Day 13

It occurs to me that this whole ‘growing pot while you’re stoned’ thing is just asking for trouble. Thats especially true if you have serious CRS syndrome like I seem to have.

Aaarrrggg - I left the darn timers turned off AGAIN! They have been off for almost 4 hours. Numbers 1 and 2 of the babies look like they will be ok but #3 is looking pretty rough. On top of that, all three have lost most of the fuzzy hairs.

This is especially aggravating because they have been growing faster and faster the last couple of days and the roots were starting to fuz up nicely.

This is what they looked like earlier today. I have had a humidity domw over them and the humidity got up to 86% and they drooped quite a bit, but were doing ok other wise.

Here is poor #3 now.

Roots on #1 earlier today.

And now

I think #3 will recover, but I suspect it will be the new runt from now on.

5 Likes

That damn CRS gets worse with age eh?

2 Likes

Im sorry, what were we talking about? :wink:

3 Likes

Day 15

They have had most of two days since the dry spell and they seem to be recovering nicely.

The roots on all three actually are looking pretty darn good considering the trauma they had. Even #3 that got hit the hardest is developing some nice fuzzy roots and side shoots. One and two are sending out shoots that look like they plan to climb up onto the roof like they did on the last grow.

1 still the best of the bunch.

2 looking ok and no longer the runt.

3 is now the smallest, but has made a huge recovery.

The leaves on 1 and 2 look good, but are drooping somewhat instead of standing tall and reaching for the light. Not sure whats up with that. They have been going back and forth from drooping to looking nice and perky. They were looking a little pale yesterday, so I raised the EC from 0.5 to 0.6. I wish I knew what wa sup with the drooping for sure. Humidity has been fluctuating a lot lately - 45% to 85% even with my dome. It was staying up over 60-70% to I took the dome off. Its now holding around 55%.

3 leaves are the worst looking. The older ones look the worst, and the new ones are looking a little burned, but Im going to keep the EC as is. Im assuming the burn is still leftover trauma from the dry spell.

PH has gone from 5.6 to 5.9 over the last three or four days. In fact it has been holding remarkably well for my water. I actually had to firce it up from 5.8 to 5.9 this morning. Im trying to keep the PH moving between 5.5 and 6 over the course of a rez cycle - which is running about one week right now.

I also lowered the temps in the rez to the lower 60’s instead of the upper 60’s I had been keeping it at. I did some tests and found that the water in the tubing running from the rez to the nozzles has plenty of time to warm up to room temp - around 70F - by the time it gets to the nozzles. So I can keep the rez extra cold to help limit algae/bacterial growth and still spray the roots with water that isnt freezing.

Ive also been running a sterile rez at aprox 2PPM chlorine. This time around it isnt hurting the fuzzies like it did last time. Of course, last time I was running higher chlorine levels trying to kill zombie F’ing algae.

Over all, I think I dodged the bullet this time.

It does seem to me that they are not growing up top as fast as I was expecting. @ReikoX - what do your plants look like at this stage? These babies are 15 days from coming out of paper towels.

4 Likes

I’m running my own hydroponic setup for starters …i know it will handle and made root for cuts and so on…
I have not tested the thc in my weed I felt it would not be necessary to check on with my meter or the temp of the water. BLAH and so on…

3 Likes

Is that Ghost Toof x SBR? How many days since it popped?

1 Like

Look at these rockwool pellets I purchased it came with the hydroponic kit I purchased today.

3 Likes

Hmm, looking but can’t quite make them out…

2 Likes

These autos are a little older than that (18 days since being dunked in water).

2 Likes