Afghaniganza! NOW Black Afghani, Cherry Queen, Black Leb and Blue Hemp Leb

Well, I think the Daku’s have run about as far as they can. I noticed bud rot developing on the one that got sprayed with STS. I’ll have to be careful to remove it so it doesn’t rot everything that’s drying.

Some seeds formed on both plants. Hopefully they’re developed enough to be viable.

8 Likes

Scratch that idea – I’m running the non-STS plant for 1 more week. Seeds are starting to brown up. I think some of them are probably ready now, but I think this one can survive it for another week. I’m happy that I’ll have at least a couple mature seeds to work with. There aren’t a ton, but if I can come up with even 20 S1 seeds, I can do work.

On the STS plant, I chopped off all but the main stem. All of the seeds on it were still green, but I couldn’t let that continue to jeopardize the other plants in the tent. I’ll let the main stem go on as long as it can. If it survives and produces a couple nice seeds, it’s worth it.

22 Likes

Deep Chunk F12

Lowland

Black Domina

Chopped the Deep Chunks. I collected about 10 seeds off of it so far. Deep Chunk x Daku might be interesting, because of how different they are. I’m thinking the combination of the two might make really good breeding stock for pure sativas… we’ll see.

Meanwhile, the lowland is a totally different beast. It’s a medium sized plant. Seems like it took the supercropping very well. I think the yields will be pretty decent. Earthy smell, large resin glands.

Finally the black domina is looking quite excellent as well. I really love the structure of the buds. Good calyx/leaf ratio, and completely different looking than the Black Dominas in my Jungle Spice tent… It has a very peppery smell, compared to a kind of fruity, maybe blackberry smell on the other ones.

27 Likes

Daku

Daku is mostly finished drying. I’m trimming it now, and I’ll dry a little more in a paper bag, since there’s still some moisture. Beautiful hashy nugs, smells earthy with some menthol. Lots of amber-brown trichs on the sugar trim. Smells remind me of the Afghani Special from WOS, though less harsh and a little more pleasant. Very dense, and tight.

20 Likes

Daku nugs are chunky and full of resin. Looking forward to trying these.

28 Likes

All lookin good there. :thumbsup:

pretty sure “F12” is a typo though :smile:

:joy_cat:

:evergreen_tree: :imp:

2 Likes

believe it or not…

18 Likes

:astonished: well allrighty then

that’s years! crazy

:thumbsup:

:evergreen_tree:

8 Likes

Having run 3 of these, I’d never grow these on their own. They’re very clearly meant to be a breeding tool. Probably great for wrangling a gnarly sativa, but not good for much else. I have made some DC x Daku seeds, but I’m still searching for the right genetics for outcrossing. None of the plants I crossed were what I wanted.

On another note, I read something interesting yesterday. Apparently back in the day, the hippie trail was creating a high demand for hash in Afghanistan. The king wanted to increase the hash output, so many villages that were growing narrow leaf indicas, started growing broad leaf varieties instead because of a shorter flowering period. However, the broad leafed plants were widely considered to produce inferior hash. It seems that the Daku might be more representative of Afghani plants that were commonly grown prior to that era.

Made me think that perhaps I should hunt for a better outcross for the Daku… It may produce better hybrids with sativas than the typical broad leaf varieties. I’ll know when I test it with some pure sativas, but I’m seeing a lot of potential value in it as a breeding tool.

This will probably go on as a long term project for me. As I continue the Afghaniganza, my next attempts at finding an outcross will be the black Afghani from derg, and the old Afghani NLD from tropical seeds. Both of these are supposed to be older strains that have been kept pure. I think they might hold some promise, but I’m more hopeful about another landrace I’m trying to source.

23 Likes

This thread is awesome

13 Likes

Bean meet left hand left hand meet bean. With your powers combined… just sayin

6 Likes

Glad you dig it! A lot more to come. :evergreen_tree:

Thanks for the introduction. :smile:

Always happy to collaborate, trade or get/give advice from folks who are working with landraces and heirlooms.

11 Likes

He’s been working nld for a hot minute. May have some input valuable to your search

5 Likes

@BeAn ever seen anything that might make a good outcross for my squatty little Daku NLD? I’m thinking my best bet might come from Iranian genetics.

9 Likes

The Iranian peninsula holds a very diverse spectrum of genes, but hard a access. Pakistan has a similar plethora of genes, there is a cut from Kashmir held locally. As my reputation for the love of skinnys has preceded me, id suggest an out cross to congo/haze x pr as its never seen a broadleaf, same with double congo x pr.

I am about to pop a load of haze, obviously anything x that is a no brainer.

16 Likes

what’s “pr”?

5 Likes

Probably punta roja, but not 100 on that

5 Likes

Sorry for the confusion i meant punta rosa, which is panama (ibl of 3 panama lines) x punta roja…it was limited release from cannabiogen, badfishy wins some flakes.

7 Likes

Coincidentally, there is a group that is currently finishing up their travels in Iran. They are offering seeds starting this month.

I have hopes that I can pheno hunt through the Iranian seeds and find a suitable male for the Daku. Then I will probably either backcross one time, or cross to a good mother from the few S1 seeds that I made. Then I hope to get some seeds out to some people here to try for themselves.

13 Likes

Thanks for the link/info. That sounds interesting…have a good friend with persian heritage :rolling_eyes: :smile: i’ll have to tell’em

5 Likes