Aficionado seeds! Where do i get them?

I just got a load of seeds for my allotment and I think I got a pack of 20 varieties, around 14,000 seeds for something like £5-10. Good solid varieties, F1 crosses etc.

I did go mental and buy just 10 specific chilli pepper seeds for the crazy price of £3.95 but they were special and I really wanted them.

The guy in my local shop says that around 50% of the products he stocks have one purpose, they feed the greed that some growers have. Ultra mega big bud juice, or Super size me bud spray etc at £20 for 500ml that is just repackaged seaweed extract that is £5/l from the garden centre.

There is a very small number of products that I buy from a hydro shop, people have been growing plants for a long time and good products that actually work are available anywhere and are also cheap.

Seeds will go the same way. When people realise that you can get as good a plant from your mate down the road as you can from the mega seed company the mega seed company will not sell any seeds.

Except to the greedy and/or stupid.

1 Like

I occasionally catch the expensive pack at discount when I can.
Sole purpose for f1s is to give em away while trying to stabilize them into real strains.
If the original ““breeder”” won’t work the cross, then there’s no reason why we shouldn’t try, IMHO.
I’m not getting a profit and the plant goes from mythical flash in the pan to an attempted breed standard.

2 Likes

F1s should be consistent in growth but not true breeding, and have hybrid vigor. its just most "F1"s are the offspring of heterozygous polyhybrids. i found this interesting quote about F1s from a gardening website

Some gardeners feel that the flavor has been sacrificed to uniformity and those gardeners might be right

2 Likes

I keep seeing these on auction sites for anywhere from 500 to over 1000
Not for me!
Great packaging though

1 Like