Am I just Stupid?

Ok so Someone please make this make sense, I made a self watering planter with 2 buckets, both 5 gallon buckets. So, I just filled it up using my 1 gallon plant pot, and it took 8 gallons of soil to fill a 5 gallon bucket, WTF am I missing here? Am I just stupid or something?

3 Likes

Soil compression.

6 Likes

Even on soil that was just fluffed up and is full of vermuclite and perlite? I should also add its not ā€œactual Soilā€ its just peat mixed with vermuclite and perlite

3 Likes

If filling a 5 gallon bucket with soil, the weight of the soil on top will compress the soil below it.

2 Likes

hmmm but 3 gallons worth of compression seems a lot doesnt it?

sounds like your 1 gallon buck is .8 gallons or your 5 gallon is closer to 7-8
or a lil bit of both

8 Likes

Plus soil is not best measured in gallons. That is why it is better to measure it in cubic feet.

4 Likes

thanks guy I was for sure feeling like a moron or something tryin to figure this out lol

1 Like

I figured I would do the test run on the Self Watering Planter i made using the first seed I crossed, looking like the branch I pulled to have some smoke did have some viable seeds after all, as I have a tail starting in the paper towel!

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a big difference between liquid gallons and nursery pot gallonsā€¦
There are 4 quarts to the liquid gallon butā€¦
with nursery (or ā€˜tradeā€™) gallons itā€™s 3 quarts per gallonā€¦

Personally I convert using 230 cu. inches per gallon (real) which is another way of using cu. feet as noted above :arrow_heading_up:

Cheers
G

15 Likes

Are they for autos? Then yes.

1 Like

ROFLMAO yes they are for Autos, yes I grow and now breed autos, and yes I love my autos.

1 Like

Irresistible thread title of the week :trophy:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

I figured it would grab peoples attn pretty quickly lmao

1 Like

Whoa really? Good to know. Recently found out our pints are not the same volume as UK pints. So lame we canā€™t agree on standard units

2 Likes

I know right! If only someone would come up with a more rational system (say base 10) that could be adopted by 99% of the world :thinking: :rofl:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never ever been able to fill 5x 10ltr pots with 50ltr of coco i always buy more than i need now.

2 Likes

Itā€™s like converting Celsius to Fahrenheit, mathematically impossible or something

:evergreen_tree: