Amatuer Breeding Advice

What advice would you give to someone starting their breeding journey?
Regular or Fem breeding? How do you prefer to test and stabilize your cross?
Is working with a Triangle Kush x Chem 91 cross prone to hermies? Do I stabilized it first before I cross it to something else or after? I’m sorry for the newbie questions and I appreciate your time and any advice. Thank you

8 Likes

Oh there’s a few threads on this already.

Reg or fem is up to you. If you do Fem breeding you preferably need STS, CS(Colloidal Silver) works but is not as good nor as reliable as STS(Silver ThioSulfate).

Anything where I would plan to give the resulting sees to others, I thoroughly stress test before making beans. At least one full run, with clones backed up. Reveg her if she made it through flower without herm. Mess with the roots during flower, etc. Any balls grow on the stem or flowers and that plant is pulled and tossed.

Males can be revegged too and is a good way to check for herm potential. Sometimes they’re solid all the way through flower but a few days into reveg and the herms show up. Also mess with the roots during flower, etc.

TK is fairly stable in my experience. Only seen 1 nanner in a whole grow of her while headbangers hermed out spectacularly right next to her. I think the Chem side is going to be a little more herm prone, but you should be able to find some stable plants in there.

I would not breed with anything that throws balls, especially off the main stem.

Anything else and you need to decide what your goals are for breeding. If you wanna stabilize the line by inbreeding first before outcrossing, or whatever it is you want to do. You need to decide that and choose plants accordingly.

12 Likes

Regs for sure.

Can’t speak to the strain in question but I won’t run anything with known herm traits. It sucks the joy out of growing to check for balls every 5 minutes. I don’t care how good it is. If it’s really special it might be worth it to you.

Best of luck and have fun and don’t be dumb like me by trying to do too much.

Best of luck.

10 Likes

That question will start a war.:grin:

3 Likes

Lots of Great questions and ill give my two cents.

My advice to someone starting is cross your favorite plants to each other and see which traits the crosses have. This is because often as a grower, we know our mothers very well and are able to see more details in crosses then If we used new cultivars.

Regular is easier to get pollen from, but fem is easier to breed two Great plants together. Its your call.

You should always stress test mothers before use to see If they got herm traits or not. And why cross two plants If you dont intend to grow them yourself.

There are many ways to stablize crosses, you can BX( cross P1 x (P1 x P2)) this needs to be done over and over a couple of times. You can grow generation after generation until you find it stable enough. You can S(fem it to itself) your favorite to S3-S4.

You have to test the parents by stressing them out.

You dont have to stablize anything. The majority of seed sold are not stablized in any shape or form and that makes them poly hybrid. Its your choice. But using two very inbreed lines crossed together will induce hybrid vigor and IMO, thats a good thing.

If you got any more questions im happy to answer!

Pz growmie and happy breeding! :v:t2:

9 Likes

Yep trash hermie and get them out of your genetics. And only breed fems from sexually stable regular seeds.

4 Likes

My advice would be to slow down. You have a couple grows under your belt so looking at breeding and stabilizing lines might be getting ahead of yourself. I would start with regs, do a pollen chuck and get the plants to harvest healthy. Work your way onward from there. Best of luck.

11 Likes

Hey thanks for replying, for stabilizing, which method do you think is best in the long term?

1 Like

Yep start with regs.

1 Like

My personal favorite is going to S3 - S4. This will give you hybrid vigor when you cross one S3 to another S3. How much hybrid vigor you get depends on two factors. How far apart the genetics is and how inbreed/stabalized they are.

Pz :v:t2:

3 Likes

Read some of your comments about this last night in the inbreeding depression thread and they were absolutely wonderful. Fully intrigued! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience in that regard. Much love

2 Likes

Wow! Wonderful advice.

2 Likes

So it sounds like your goal is to work with those two strains and get the Hermie traits to go away, correct ?

Generally, whenever I’ve done rescue projects for people that have hermaphroditic DNA - but they LOVE the smoke, I try to find a strong, stable male from similar or identical genetic lines and start makibg crosses as a first step.
I’ve seen hermaphrodic traits go away in one generation, I’ve seen them gone in 3 - but it all depends. It takes some time, to be sure…

However, once the offspring are properly cured of the hermaphroditic traits - I’ve always been a fan of simply choosing the best female and best female from each generation and breeding those.

Wash, rinse repeat to “focus” the traits that you want.

That’s just how I do it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Remember the best weeds of your life. And don’t give up until you want to bury for good these memories.

I’m gonna have go with Doug, baby steps, crawl, stand up, walk then sprint. Takes TIME and OBSERVATION skills to SEE what you want to do, as in goals and objectives set forth.

3 Likes

If you can get a male and a female then breed them. Then grow the seeds and breed again. And a third time, now you will have seed sexually healthy to grow. But to really clean a strain it takes up to 10 breeds. I learned this from stress testing.

1 Like