Ancestral varieties of food, what do you plant?

hello guys, I created this topic to present the ancestral / creole varieties that my wife and I have been rescuing, multiplying and selecting on our site, for 12 years …

Since we left the salaried life and changed our lives, we work with farmers from all over Brazil, … Thus, we come into contact with an immense diversity, both in varieties and in variations of it. …

I will post some photos and comments, I ask for patience because I use the translator to communicate …

Feel free to comment, criticize, and expose your images …

hugs…

26 Likes

`I’ll start with what we’re reaping now:

in case someone doesn’t know any food, let’s talk …

hugs

36 Likes

@Gugumelo looks like you guys are doing a great job. Everything looks yummy :yum:

8 Likes

Thank you, this love has no limit, it just grows every day …

7 Likes

pineapple,

We have a variety of pineapple, called Hawaiian, which has spines only at the ends,

@Uknow808, This one is called Hawaiian pineapple here in Brazil, they say it was a variety brought to Hawaii, and improved … Do you know?
The others have many thorns, but are very tasty …

We have 5 varieties of pineapple, and 3 more that we are creating, we found some seeds in the pineapples, and we are waiting to see the quality of the fruits and resistance to diseases …

18 Likes

What a beautiful space!

4 Likes

You really have some nice looking plants there if I understand correctly are you creating new species but preserving some old ones. that’s awesome. 2nd picture blue bowl im assuming peppers?? What kind and do you have extra seeds for that one? Sorry I couldn’t help myself I had to ask. A seed junky is a seed junky. I have some Peruvian pepper growing in my tent.

6 Likes

They are pitangas, in the blue basin, family of mirtaceas, native fruit

The other is uvaia … ditto …

The first photo, has 2 varieties of sweet peppers …

As for the pineapples, I have wild and improved ones, in this mixture a new one will appear, without my intervention, it is not common to find seeds in pineapples … but it happens …

Hug…

5 Likes

Nice garden bro. Everything looks awesome.

As far as pineapple goes here. These 2 are some of the most popular strains.

Maui gold strain of pineapple. Found through all our islands.

And the Kauai Sugarloaf pineapple with a white flesh and sweeter taste not so much acid in this one. Pretty expensive strain.

Aloha From Hawaii :call_me_hand:t5:

13 Likes

I love pineapples! unfortunately I can’t grow them in my part of the world so I drool over your pics

3 Likes

You are my hero. If I get 20 pounds of tomatoes it’s been a good year. Not mentioning cannabis.

3 Likes

Do you eat the stems too? They look fleshy and edible.

1 Like

This is the same … Ours have yellow pulp …

The pineapple with the white pulp and less acid we have is the pearl variety, but with many spines throughout the leaf …

Hug.

4 Likes

Good to know. Yea im not familiar with pineapples to much. Im really not a fan of pineapples I’ll have some here and there, but I do like it in li hing mui powder.

Aloha From Hawaii :call_me_hand:t5:

Aloha

4 Likes

Here’s mine grown in Illinois, started out with store bought pineapple…took about 2.5 years…got two now that’s 2yrs. old and a 1yr. old.

10 Likes

Pineapple juice and vodka the old wreck the house drink lol
I love pineapple and
Coconut… my wife hates them since she grew up in the Philippines I grew up in Ireland I remember as a kid we only got coconut at Halloween,I moved to California can have it everyday lol

5 Likes

Look for organic pineapple, you can even eat the peel, which is very good, or dry and make the powder … I have been to large farms in Brazil, the amount and type of poison they use is frightening … .

Beautiful specimen, do you know the name of this variety? Planting the crown takes longer. Underneath the fruit appear seedlings that were ready in 1.5 years. You can leave it attached to the plant to grow more … And after 2 or 3 months of planting …
Here I produce in an organic system, after 2 harvests, I remove the plant. Because it weakens and the disease becomes susceptible …

Regarding the second photo, here in Brazil we have a problem, pineapple thieves, it’s not your case … Who would dare ?? :joy::joy::joy::joy:

With vodka, mint, ginger, I learned to love pineapple. I am also addicted to coconut, I live in the south of Brazil, the production is in the northeast, when we go there, we even made coconut oil.

Hug to everyone

Abraço a todos

1 Like

This is a beautiful wild pineapple, many thorns, when ripe it smells very good …

13 Likes

I also grow these, it’s called Bitter Melons aka: Ampalaya in the Motherland of over 7,000 Islands…2 different varieties a green & white ones…it has a lot of health benefits too.

10 Likes

Does it turn yellow when ripe? Here we have a much smaller variety, red savanna, called “São Caetano” melon, or snake fruit.

How do you prepare this?

2 Likes