Anybody decarboxylate in a pressure cooker?

So, @MicroDoser, using your chart, if I were to use a water bath canner, I would see about a 5mg/g drop off in THC (temp about 212F to 218F)?

1 Like

Color looks like it did the job well. :+1::seedling:

1 Like

5 mg drop doesnt sound like much, but keep in mind that is a 1/3 drop in total yieldcompared to what you would get at 240 F. You would be going from 15 mg/g to 10mg/g.

Nice. Im going to have to go hunting for my pressure cooker and weights. I havent used it in a decade or so. Hope I can find it! :wink:

I know, but I’m not looking for a high THC level to begin with. I also want to save as much of the terpenes as I can and you do with what ya got, equipment wise.

1 Like

What that chart doesnt show is that the curve continues up past the 60 minute mark. The same level of decarboxylated material can be achieved by using 120 minutes at around 100°C. :+1::seedling:

2 Likes

@ReikoX, so if I did a water bath (100°C/212°F) for 120 min, I would get the full level of THC? What do you think that will do to the terpenes, would I start to lose them or because it’s sealed would I not see a degradation?

1 Like

Yep, that’s what I’m saying. Should be fine so long as you let it cool completely before opening the jar. :+1::seedling:

1 Like

Sounds good.

BTW - I took some of the little Divyder I had and did what you said and soaked it in the VG without decarbing. Just tried it after 2 month steep, and WOW. Huge difference in the flavor when vaped. It tasted exactly as it smelled and not all flavorless and burnt. I don’t know why they say to decarb if you’re going to vape. Beats the hell out of spending cash to put terps back in.

2 Likes

Glad you enjoyed that. Cold extraction for VG is the best.

1 Like

Forgot to ask, I would assume that this would be the same for CBD?

2 Likes

Yes, all cannabinoids.

1 Like

I just wanted to give you all an update. The decarb was a success!

I made the green dragon according to reikox’s recipe and used his formula to reduce it to a 10 mg/ml dose. That’s the standard dose here in Colorado. The dose I took gave me just the effects I would expect from the store bought and tested edibles.

So anecdotally I’d say the bud was well decarboxylated in the pressure cooker. It was great for me and produced no smell and took no babysitting.

The jars worked great and I like the idea that the bud stayed untouched in the same container from start to extraction. No trichomes lost moving things around. I didn’t bother breaking up or grinding the bud up and it all broke down during the shake.

If you have a pressure cooker give it a try and let us know how it worked for you.

4 Likes

Awesome news, glad this was a success. I will have to give this a whirl.

1 Like

I’m still new to all this… If I want to make an cannabis infusion oil, should I then first dry, then put them in masonjars and burp them for a few weeks, then store them in the masonjars, and THEN decarb them ? Or is it drying, then decarbing and then in the masonjars…?
The recipie I will use is 50g to 500ml of oil, heeting it in the oil @94degrees celcius, for an hour. Then take the buds out, and use the same oil, with a new batch of 50g, once again an hour @ 94degrees. and then cool it down.

IDK if this is the best or the right recipie, I’ve bought oil made this way and it worked okay’ish
But as my interest in this is purely medicin, ( Oil to minimise amount of cellpoisen injections, vape for pain relief and then the ocatially "recreationel blunt " with frinds, in that order )due to a shit load of medicine ( I want to detox out of all of it, if possible)

Outstanding! Im going to try this next time as well. Stinking up the whole house for most of a day is not good! :smiley:

sealing bags in boiling water held down with magnets on a mason jar tray . You can also decarb in a mason jar in the oven. for an hour or so. im in denver and it worked just fine (i use kief however).
Dumping results in coco oil for some more soaking time.

2 Likes

Do you heat your oil? Got 2g of isolate coming for Fido (I know it’s not the same as keif) and am going to dissolve in MCT oil.

As to the bags, I used to make “Boil-in-Bag” stuff many moons ago, so I kinda figured it would work with boiling, but never tried it. With my luck I would be the ONLY person to ever have a problem and lose a couple ounces. For me, I have SOOOOOOO much canning stuff, I would just use jars.

2 Likes

yea I was kinda joking after the decarb i set up the double broiler and let the soak/Infusion occur sometimes up to 48 hrs. I like strong oil gotta be dedicated to keeping the water in the pot.

I just don’t understand why you HAVE to decarb, if you are going to “cook” it for a few hours at almost the same temp. Thanks to @ReikoX I found out I don’t have to decarb the bud I am using for my vape juice.

1 Like