Anybody like urbexing?

Evening all. Not a usual frequenter of the smokers lounge but OG is home to me now. And it’s you lovely folks I’d like to share some of my other hobbies with.

Old buildings. History etc has always been of interest to me. And quite regularly end up knee deep in shitty water traipsing through a tunnel with no visible end and so on.
Recently upgraded my phone to a Google pixel 2 and the camera is pretty good. So I’m gonna use this spot to share my photos etc with you and if anyone gives a shit. Any history I can find on the subject matter.

If anyone else has a similar interest and photos share them too.

I’ve just been informed about an air raid shelter 2 streets away from me. (Info found on another forum with a map)
I won’t disclose the location on this one for obvious reasons.

But if I find an entrance and can get photos. I’ll definitely share them.

PS I had a half oz of stardawg delivered before and sentences makes sense not after 3 or 4 spliffs. Even to myself

11 Likes

I understood, and would love pictures of your adventures. There are some pretty creepy looking abandoned buildings along my routes i’ll try to safely stop an get some nice shots after I see what you got.

2 Likes

Well if the weather is nice tomorrow I’ll get out and get your first look in bro. Look forward to seeing some over the pond creepy shit. If we could see creepy shit here globally that would be awesome

1 Like

Used to back when the asylums were worth visiting, mostly burned, vandalised and demolished now. Never liked going into tunnels, just freaks me out for some reason, shame really some of the service tunnels were amazing.

Looking forward to seeing the photos.

2 Likes

Are you UK aswell flippy nips? Denbigh mental recently burnt didn’t it iirc. Think they’ve started work on Barnes hospital too. Never been one for sewer runs. But I love a good tunnel ha

2 Likes

I’m near Stoke on Trent, Denbigh gets set on fire every couple of years, not that the owners care, they nailed the windows open 15 years ago to let the weather in.

I’ve just checked out Barnes looks like it’s going to end up like St Georges.

1 Like

I’ve done some asylum-tunnel spelunking in my day. Most that are near me are filled-in now.

2 Likes

I would love to do this. It is a shame to burn or fill them in. They are as much of history as old churches and such. We went to Dover castle and toured the war time tunnels. Than we found the real tunnels and found the do not enter signs, so you know what we did :imp:

4 Likes

what does urbexing mean? is that a typo?

edit: urban exploring prob?

3 Likes

No typo there @legalcanada it is just an abbreviation for urban exploration. Lol.

@FlippyNips I know it far too well. I lived in cross Heath and audley for a few years lol. (Closely followed by brinsford)

@Scissor-Hanz good man. I’ll bet there Are still plenty knocking about. I’m gonna try find you all a write up on Victoria arches . (Not somewhere I’ve been in yet because you need to abseil over the river irwell to get in it)

And @G-paS you devil you. Are you english or just holidaying? I’ve seen a lot of your postings and thought you were American.

1 Like

Yes, American. My youngest daughter study abroad in London one summer. My girlfriend and I were going over and have here be our guide. When I went to get her air, it was cheaper for her to join us on the 12 day cruise home. We went out of Dover. All three of my girls had been to Europe several times before I ever got out of the states.

2 Likes

Here you go guys

1 Like

I can well imagine on the air fare. A cruise would be much more pleasant anyway I think. I’ve always wanted to go to America. But they won’t let me because of firearms charges from way back when. The more time that passes the more chance I will have of passing customs. At some point in my life I’m having a smoke with @Jellypowered.

4 Likes

Went for a little wander this morning to try and spot the entrance to the little air raid shelter. And guess what guys. I found it. The bricks are just stacked up so will have to remove and replace them after I leave. It’s quite overlooked so has to be an evening job. As cloak and dagger as it may seem. The whole idea of urbexing is to take nothing but photos and leave nothing but footprints.

Not bad for A short walk with a long dog

7 Likes

This reminds me of Geocacheing. where you find the treasure and do it in a fashion where you don’t get spotted.

3 Likes

I’m gonna travel a bit out today to a few places I’ve wanted to for a while. Just to give this thread a good headstart. It’s a Sunday after all and there’s not much better to be doing. Had a look at geocaching looks like fun but nowhere near dark and dingy enough for me mate lol

1 Like

could probably enter canada easier then sneak across the border. i’ve never done it but it must be easy, thousands of illegals are just walking across in to canada no problem.

It’s not somewhere I fancy getting nicked as an illegal immigrant though bro lol

More pics please @anon58740919. Abandoned buildings, tunnels, barns, mines, caves, shelters… anything with a hidden story. spent a great portion of my youth skating, vandalizing and exploring these types of places. Watch for rusty nails. Ouch! Walls and ground.

Been in some neat places. Creepy as all hell too. Sketchy. Meet scary individuals. Now i gotta dig up some flicks.

Thanks for starting this one @anon58740919.
If your on instagram “thehistorygeek” posts awesome historical content from around the world.

Cheers

2 Likes

That took so long to upload all them. Hope you all enjoy. Was quite a nice wander as well tbf

This is heyrod power station (of old) there’s a new one right next door. Not too far there’s a mineshaft. (Couldn’t get there today as we had our son in his pram) I had to scale a fence or two to get these whilst they sat with the :dog2:.

A bit sneaky getting my info from wikipedia but that’s as much as I know. You may see a reference to metropolitan Vickers in the history. @Kalgrae I have an impeccable Condition “single phase watthour meter” made by metropolitan Vickers including original test certificate from 1928 I’ll get you a few pics. I knew I’d find someone interested. You made my day

7 Likes