Anyone into Computer Keyboards / Custom Keyboards

I’ve been needing/wanting a proper keyboard to use with my old thinkpad for a while now (so I can stop twisting to type while viewing external monitor.

I actually forgot the specific question I was going to ask, but I’m wondering if people have any suggestions and positive/negative experience with custom keyboards, brands, etc.
My price range is $200 cad.
I don’t want anything much bigger than a TenKeyless (80% - 87 Key), but nothing much smaller than a 75%.
I’d prefer it had wireless with optional wired connection, and that there’s a wireless (not bt) mode, if at all possible.
I’d prefer aluminum.
South facing leds, hot swappable, backlight (preferably rgb, whether I’ll use it or not.

I’ve been looking at the Keychron K8 Pro, the Epomaker TH80, and the Cidoo ABM084, for example.

I’ve been researching this for some time now, having not known how big the “hobby” is. I just need a functional keyboard, with good quality and value. This probably means $150-$200 cad, unfortunately.

Thanks.

7 Likes

I have been in IT for over 20 years and have no use for such things so can’t really reccomend anything. I always kind of laugh when I see someone with a fancy lit up keyboard but I suppose that’s just my preference.

7 Likes

http://typematrix.com/

One of these but with blank keys, because you’re an adult and should know how to touch type.

Keeps other people from even thinking of touching your workstation and helps stave off carple tunnel syndrome. Mine has been going strong for 15 years, and I’ve seen a bunch of other hardware come and go in that time.

4 Likes

This is what I use, I love the feedback from the MX Brown switched. It is a little loud due to it being mechanical, but I usually just wear headphones and shut the door to avoid annoying the GF.

Rosewill Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Cherry MX Brown Switches - RK-9000V2 BR
https://www.rosewill.com/p/9SIA072GJ93275

3 Likes

I laugh when I see rooms, pcs, and everything else, glowing with various rainbows of colors. I just want backlit keys, it’s a must. And If I feel like changing from solid white, to some other color, that’d be nice.

4 Likes

Too big (has numpad). I wish I knew more about switches - or had experience, that is. I think I want cherry mx reds, or something similar (linear, I guess). It’s funny, because I like the old MBP keyboards, and they’re not even mechanical, and have not much travel in my opinion.

It’s all about personal preference. If you want back lit keys then go for it.

2 Likes

have you seen the microsoft natural keyboard ??

I’d hate to see their natural piano … lol

3 Likes

tumblr_o4sf6ke8jW1udh5n8o1_500

ezgif.com-gif-maker (1)

ezgif.com-gif-maker

projection-laser

I always wondered what these laser keyboards would be like
ezgif.com-gif-maker (2)

:thinking: on second thought, maybe not a good idea
giphy
:joy:

13 Likes

I just use an old Dell L100 USB keyboard. Only thing I hate about it is the logo. :rofl:

2 Likes

I have a cheap gaming keyboard but have been eyeing some Datamancer ones and SteampunkRenovations one, after I stop being poor of course…

Set Of Steampunk Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers And Camera | Steampunk Tendencies

Datamancer (@datamancer) • Instagram photos and videos

6 Likes

Thanks guys.

1 Like

Cherry MX Brown all day long.

5 Likes

I work in IT and got to play with one for a day or two. The boss wanted one for traveling “because it looked cool” and it was up to us to test it. It works, but it required precise finger placement which I apparently lack. This was probably 10+ years ago so maybe the tech has improved now.

For me, as a longtime helpdesk worker, I just want something dependable with few points of failure so I still rock a standard Dell wired keyboard. No worries about batteries, receivers, Bluetooth, programmable keys, etc. I totally get that is not for everyone. I just like to keep things simple.

3 Likes

I am glad I went with the MX Brown, the tactile bump is really nice when I’m playing games. Just loud AF when I’m really getting into it lol

1 Like

Cool man! There’s a lot of great options these days. Novelkeys (Keyboards – NovelKeys LLC) has some great entry boards with hotswap, LEDs, and such that are easily customizable. If you want more of the standard OEM option there’s a lot from brands like ducky, leopold on mechanicalkeyboards.com. I’m not too up to date on current ones with wireless and wired options - I hate wireless it never works right for me lol. Be careful it’s a rabbit hole - I went full into the custom self-built end of it lol.

1 Like

I tried out an Epomaker TH80 Pro, with gateron pro yellow switches. Liked it, the feel of mechanical switches is great. I felt even the yellows were to “soft” for me though. So I tried one with black switches. I liked that better. I love the dial or “knob” on that keyboard. And I love the size (number of keys, it’s a 75% layout, plus “knob”). I’d say you’d probably need some type of wrist rest if you go that route though, the route of a non-low profile mechanical. In the end, I didn’t keep it. Another thing I don’t like about it, aesthetically, is the stupid key cap designs. Many of these mechanical keyboards have…just odd, “cutesy”, or childish, (some might say “fun”?) designs on them, from the factory. I just want them to have the actual key designation on them, personally. Also, the keyboard has led backlight with a million colors, yet they don’t come with shine through keycaps, and I’m just not willing to spend more than half the price of the keyboard on new caps.

So, I ended up getting what I knew I’d probably like, and probably should’ve gotten in the first place. The Logitech MX Keys Mini. It has nearly everything I want. I really wish it had wifi(!), instead of bluetooth, and a wired option - though it does say you can use it while charging, so maybe you can do that indefinitely. But I also got the Logibolt adapter (it’s just another form of bluetooth…I think, please correct me here if I’m wrong), but I don’t even know if I’m connected to it, hah. It’s thin, light weight, and has shine through keycaps. The software/app seems good and useful so far. It has very good backlighting features (proximity sensor is great, and ambient light sensor if you like that). I used the software to change the function of the dedicated “emojii” button (I just threw up in my mouth a little) to the windows “settings” button. But the actual keycap has a stupid emojii face on it, haha.
Honestly, I essentially wanted a 2012 Macbook Pro style keyboard and this thing is it. It’s like a standalone MBP keyboard. I will connect to practically any OS, including android and iOS.
I installed “SharpKeys” on my ThinkPad and swapped left control for left alt, and I’m already really liking this thing. Just ordered an another (amazon warehouse deal, lets hope it’s in great shape) for my mother to replace her lenovo membrane, $5 comes-with-the-pc quality keyboard. She liked the feel of the TH80 Pro, though. But she said “what the fuck are these key symbols?” too. Haha. Rocket ships and robotic arm symbols.

There’s a few more “very good” condition listings on amazon.ca warehouse deals, if anyone is interested.

Anyway, not a review. Just an update. This MX Keys mini is very nice.

1 Like

I bought a Corsair K63 awhle back and have enjoyed it. It is not aluminum though and it is wired. First venture into the realm. I do like the backlit keys. Love the sound volume control on the keyboard.

I also found some K70 boards at Walmart once for 40 bucks. Bought one for my daughter. Came back next day to get another and all 12 were gone

3 Likes

Very happy with my Keychron Q3, incredible quality for the price. The feel with the padding and metal case is something else. I also have their V3 as a backup and its a ton better than other similarly budget priced 70/75% keyboards like Keycool 87. They have a big lineup with a % size that will fit your style so check them out.

1 Like

Sounds like a good deal. $180 on amazon.ca if I’m looking at the right one.

I looked at probably every offering they have. I used their great chart on keyboard layouts and also their switch guide early on. Q3 with knob is one I really liked, the blue color scheme is cool. But it’s out of the range I wanted to pay, just a bit. Do you find you need a wrist wrest for those thicker keyboards?

1 Like