Are compost teas beneficial? not according to this guy

Thanks @Calyxander for letting us know I too am quit a bit more concern when compost are made with a fairly large amount of animal manures this is why iv steered away from them many years ago due to that fact that there could be pathogens that make it through the heating phase of thermal compost

2 Likes

Indeed. Experimentation has a place but it should not replace production. And only methods proven to be better should replace old methods.

And on the topic of foliar feeding, I have heard for leafy greens at least it makes the leaves carcinogenic. Read into that what you will.

5 Likes

Depending on what you are spraying, foliar feeding could well introduce carcinogens. I recall reading a study close to 20 years ago that made the connection between cancer and the uptake of trace elements (most heavy metals being known to be highly carcinogenic) in fertilizer and commercial tobacco production. Smoking ensures you get a direct hit in the lungs and into your bloodstream. Take it for what itā€™s worth.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s why I told my friend not to use m3 Michigan made mix and Papaā€™s Perfect Poop fertilizer. Neither are safe to use on food crops because of the higher than 10ppm arsenic levels in both. He used both together and fed heavily. SMH. Iā€™m not smoking that weedšŸ˜…

1 Like

Thatā€™s why I stick almost exclusively with organics. I believe it was the commercially produced phosphorus that contained the heavy metals. Seem to recall it wasnā€™t as much of a concern with commercial food production as your body gets a chance to filter food through digestion whereas with smoke the contaminants go straight into your blood stream unimpeded.

2 Likes

Rabbit poo is hot even hotter than chicken shit

2 Likes

https://www.yknotalpacas.com/greenbeans.php

There is a lady about an hour and a bit away from me who breeds alpaca. She gives me 20kg bags for basically $1.50 (about R20 here)ā€¦ itā€™s really amazing stuff if you can find some around your way.

5 Likes

Hmmm thatā€™s interesting of all the sources Iv researched state otherwise even the freshly harvested from rabbit pins have barely a hint of ammonium to them ā€¦ care to elaborate in the subject?

1 Like

That sounds great thanks for the tip !

2 Likes

I use fresh rabbit poop When I can get. Have a friend with a rabbit farm and he uses it without any problems. This on established plants that is. I got my mulch from him this year as well as a few bags of dried up shit I chucked in the top dressing mix. Iā€™ll let you know how it goes this yearā€¦ I generally use alpaca poop but not having a car these days made me go my friends way with the rabbit ā€¦ also read very good things about it not burning

1 Like

Hereā€™s one source ā€¦ the bedding thatā€™s often mixed with rabbit poop can have high N I believe can have some issues with plants but poo itā€™s self is about 2% or less .

1 Like

At one stage we were using alpaca poop as part of our aeration and water retention in our pot mixā€¦ did a pretty good job too

2 Likes

It could possibly be what they were feeding them, couldā€™ve been not established plants too.

2 Likes

Donā€™t know donā€™t remember itā€™s been 30+ years ago

2 Likes

My neighbor has five rescued donkeys. He has an open stall barn they go into when it gets rainy or cold, so he cleans it out with the front loader on his tractor and drops it next to my compost pile. I stir in straw and my kitchen compost and turn about every month. Itā€™s easier for me to make a tea with it for potted plants than to sift it for use. For me, compost tea just comes down to convenience. For the outside beds I just apply the compost straight.

I am considering using the donkey poo compost for growing mushrooms next spring and summer.

3 Likes

Hos point is that the soil can be brought back with just compost there is no added benefit of making the tea

2 Likes

Yeah, but still, in an indoor setting using pots, tea is just far more convenient. Thatā€™s the point I was making.

2 Likes

In an indoor setting u shouldnā€™t be using tea at all. If u have pots add the compost to it or add the microbes to it but tea is a waste of time and money Iā€™ve done both with and without tea and there is no difference. Iā€™ve actually had times where weird shit would fuck up my plants and I attribute it to the tea. If ur indoor u wanna keep ur shot as clean and sterile as possible otherwise just grow outdoors or gh

Iā€™ve used tea indoors for three decades with no problems. Not changing now.

1 Like

Yeah uve used teas for years with no problems but alot of wasted time. It isnā€™t a theory it is facts that adding regular compost and ingredients in compost teas do the same thing. There is no added benefit from making them teas. It is facts so keep wasting ur time if u want to but it is pointless. I know people that do big ops and use teas and their weed is no better then the people that just top dress and feed their plants. That is also facts and do u know how much more time and effort those guys making teas are exerting? It is comical actually cus that hippy myth bullshit really is passed along like scientific facts up here. Read a real book written by a person with a PhD or jus some old hippy cus imo old hippies grow shitty weed 8 outta 10 times