Are infertile/sterile males possible?

Has any seedmaker here ever had a male plant produce no offspring?

'Ever make a batch of seeds that failed to germinate 100%?

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

Yes on both counts. It’s rare, but it happens. In 13 years I’d had each happen exactly once.

8 Likes

I heard smoking pot makes you sterile haha. They are still teaching that crap in schools believe it or not.

6 Likes

I’ve had feminised females spoof everywhere and produce no seed, but not a male. I’ve also had feminised seed that all looked great but had near zero germination, and those that did were deformed. We need a 'Show us your mutant" thread on OG! I have a Crockett Haze that all of a sudden has one branch that is variegated. Not sure what to do with ti, but it sure is pretty!

6 Likes

Yes. I found one in a “cabbage-leaf” mutant of Dynasty’s Blue Magoo BX2. It did produce pollen but the pollen did not make seed. The normal female plants were great, but I didn’t get a regular-looking male. Still have 3 seeds left of the pack. I’m sure the frequency of sterility in plants is higher in inbred plants and mutants than normal-looking ones.

4 Likes

yes, once or twice I took pollen off a male and covered some flowers and no seeds were produced. It’s possible the pollen failed while in storage, but I doubt it. Another time the pollen seemed unbelievably weak - producing 20 seeds where I normally get hundreds.

Never seen any sterile seeds, all the mature seeds have been viable.

5 Likes

I’ve had this happen with pollen that was stored. It’s was viable before being put in the fridge. It produced seed the 2nd time also yet with zero pop rate. I might be wrong on this bc it was a long time ago. Yet think some tried to grow n couldn’t get out the soil.

I know it’s not really fair to say this after just one bad experience. If I find out a breeder doesn’t use live pollen I’ll avoid em. As n example cult classic stores pollen. Had an aweful time with their seeds too.

4 Likes

I’ve seen two males from questionable seed stock that both failed to produce pollen at all ,I let them go extra long and tried drying the pollen sacs , still nothing.
Companies like hortapharm have publicly stated there main goal is to create plants that are incapable of being bred or cloned. I’m sure they have already slipped tainted genetics into the market, be carefull what you breed to and keep the old trusted genetics pure. Look into the science of
Terminator pollen and Terminator Gene’s
Aka (suicide seeds ).

3 Likes

I beg to differ… often considered taking school board to court and claim I fell for that meme and now have 8 children…

4 Likes

Didn’t work for me either. It’s funny they think that will even scare kids. Get high, have sex, no unexpected pregnancy. Win, win, win!

1 Like