Are There Basements in Florida?

I look at the head/nose. I can’t remember that rhyme. I may have some short term memory issues. :grin: If the nose is black I’m not going to mess with it.

If you had been down there you would have heard me say, “Holy shit!” when I first spotted it. It’s still down there.

8 Likes

this is crazy! The jungle is taking your basement. is that a king coral snake? I know all 5 poisonous snakes in North America live in Florida.

red isn’t touching yellow - it’s a king snake. I could never take it down there, I freak out when I see a centipede in the basement

7 Likes

Florida is pretty wild, everything the walks, crawls or flies seems to love the weather here.

4 Likes

Scarlet king snake. That’s the first of its kind to show up. I have had white oak snakes down there in the past. Several diamond back rattlesnakes have come around over the years; one was too close for comfort. It was coiled up in an outside closet. The rattlers have not made it to the basement fortunately.

It’s an old farmhouse and there are plenty of access points to get under the house.

6 Likes

I have been away but not by choice. A fellow from the Gulf of Mexico decided to pay a visit to our neighborhood. He said his name was Michael. He was not a good guest. He left us with no electricity, phone, or internet and he broke a lot of trees.

We got power back Monday and the internet was up today. The basement was dark for almost 6 days. The girls suffered some but they did better than I expected.

I hate hurricanes.

10 Likes

I have found…not by choice 4-5 days they seem to do well, thats happened to me twice now…I have a solid plan for next year…this was the last time the Bunker goes dark…7 days is a long stretch, hopefully it didn’t make anything weird happen…that’s always my worry for 2 weeks after an event like this…

3 Likes

Hey buzz was worried about you until K posted something. I don’t know how i keep missing you journals. keep on keeping on brother and i can’t thank you enough for the breadcrumb trail so much respect for your ways. Thanks for everything and i hope the cleanup goes well.

4 Likes

This one rattled my old bones and brain, @argo945. I was born in Miami and grew up in Homestead so hurricanes are part of my life. The older I get the more I dread their approach. It’s OK with me if I never see one again.

8 Likes

Homestead and now the panhandle? it’s like the hurricanes are following you around. you’ve been hit by the number 1 and 3 US hurricanes of all time. that sucks! Is your house OK??

4 Likes

Yes, there are basements in Florida, but they are usually used for Swimming Pools!

regards,

mike28086

2 Likes

It came through unscathed. There was a large pecan tree limb that fell very close to the house. It took out the landline and cable.

The earliest hurricane memory I have is from Hurricane Donna in 1960. I can’t remember how many have I have experienced but it is more than 10. Hurricane Betsy hit our 10 acre grove of mangos and avocados and laid over 100 trees on their sides with rootballs looking up at clouds. I spent a long summer pruning and raising and propping those trees. The wind was so intense water was blown up under the house and it was spraying out through the baseboards.

Michael went north a little longer than it was forecast and we were lucky when it turned. It is good to be back on the grid.

8 Likes

I’m alright, I suppose. Power is back on solidly, finally. Need to try and find all of my stuff. Materials scattered over hell and half of NC. Lost most of my plants, seedlings, and, and I am not sure as to what all yet. Hey, it will all be, fine. What else can it be. We do what we can, and go around what we must. Carry on my friend, and good luck.

Regards,

mike28086

5 Likes

That is all we can do, @mike28086. Day by day. Thanks for adding your perspective.

5 Likes

The girls are doing much better these days since the lights came back on. Here are some random shots from Below.

Grass Monkey in week 4

I needed taller stakes for this Green Crack. She looks broken down and awful but it is heavy with buds. Harvest day is Sunday.

Wedding Cake Week 2

I report for jury duty in a couple of hours. Until the next time…

12 Likes

239 checking in! Everything looks great

2 Likes

Thank you, @Badfishy1.

4 Likes

Flower time!

Grass Monkey at 6 weeks

Hippy Slayer Day 1

'79 Xmas Bud Week 3

Green Crack #3 Week 7

11 Likes

Nice to see a fellow Floridian on here looking good I to am from South Florida but I live in marion county now hope to see more of your work. :sunglasses::+1:

3 Likes

Glad you stopped by, @Joey420. How are the horse farms looking these days? We had just over 2" of rain Sunday night/Monday morning and the veg side of the rooms is seeping water now. The flower room is still relatively dry but I’m thinking this is an El Nino year and it is going to get very wet.

Are you growing anything?

4 Likes

Hello the horse farms are looking beautiful around here I was growing at the beginning of the year but I had f****** mites in my roots and I didn’t find it until it was to late. I haven’t tried growing indoors yet. I’m an outdoors grower but the summer heat and the crazy humidity here making things a little difficult and now I’m out of beans for next year so I don’t know what I’m going to do :cold_sweat::disappointed_relieved:

this is what thay looked like before the mites only just over halfway done I only got 8ozs from bushy one and 5oz from the tall one.

3 Likes