Auto watering pump for top fed dwc

About to start back up in hydro and was wondering if I could just set these up with my dwc totes (27 gallon probably do 6 or 8 plants each 4in netpots) RAINPOINT WiFi Automatic Watering System For Indoor Potted Plants, DIY Drip Irrigation Kit Remotely Control Auto/Manual/Delay Watering Mode via APP, Automatic Self-Watering Irrigation System with Pump https://a.co/d/2hFqLMM or something along those lines, I don’t really need the Wi-Fi feature.

I’d probably just run it continuously too, i wouldn’t think dryback applies to dwc.

1 Like

Only run DWC once, but all I know is you just change water once a week. What you’re thinking about would be sort of RDWC instead, water circulating so you would need to control the runoff, something like this:

Captura

With a tote I would just put an airstone inside and change water when needed, depending on the size of the tote. I had spare pots, so just prepared the new pHed water with nutes in the spare and change the lid (with plant) from one pot to another. Those irrigation systems might come handy with coco, soil and even hempy buckets … beer3|nullxnull

2 Likes

I’m thinking more like a “bubbleponics” setup kinda like this Top-Fed DWC Cannabis Setup Guide - Bubbleponics | Grow Weed Easy. It is sorta like rdwc but in one tank without the cost of bulkheads and pvc pipes.

1 Like

Usually you only top feed for the first couple weeks or days, if that. Just until the roots are in the res. Once they’re in the water, I don’t think you’d gain anything by top feeding like that bubbleponics page. Even growweedeasy says they only really do it at the start of their DWC. To get the plants established quicker.

4 Likes

are you going to be starting from seed or clones?

Id just use like a pool noodle or something instead of a netpot in the DWC setup and slide the clone in. Youll need to support the plant from the top some how but it makes for a very easy transplant from cloner to final home.

No top feeding needed you can just drop the roots in the water.

1 Like

Seeds. Starting in rock wool cubes not peat plugs.

1 Like

The few times I did hydro before I didn’t top feed at all. I just put my seedlings at the bottom oft the net pot filled the water close to touching and turned my air pump on full blast. That was in 5 gallon buckets though not big totes with 6-8 (10?)plants per tote.(doing a very short veg, flipping at like 3 or 4 nodes)

1 Like

With seeds in rockwool you would just need to water from top until roots reached the water below, I don’t think it is worth mounting an automatic irrigation system for such a short time, also seedlings are very delicate and overwatering kills them, better for them you controlling that … beer3|nullxnull

2 Likes