Autoflower test run, first time with autos!

Hello everyone,

Starting a grow journal featuring my first ever autoflower run. I’ve been growing for 8 years and have always chosen photoperiod genetics. Recently had the opportunity to participate in a run featuring 2 genetics bred by another member here, known as IIISUBZEROIII on Reddit. (Unsure of username here, but def floating around…)

Featured seeds are:

• Pinot Noir (Double Grape x Chem de la crème) x Galaxy Brain (Zalmadelica express x Cosmic queen)
  • Canna Cheese 1:1 (Cannatonic x Northern Cheese Haze) x Galaxy Brain
  • The third seed is another autoflower that I received as a bonus item from Coastal Mary seeds, Strawberry Cheese.

As shown, I prefer to forego paper towel and simply soak my seeds prior to planting. These 3 hit water on Friday Dec 22nd, and were showing these taproots on Xmas eve. Planted into Promix HP that has been amended with a small amount of Gaia Green worm castings and Glacial rock dust. As they are auto flowers, I’ve chosen to plant into their final 5 gal pots on advice from others. Room in the pots yet to topdress in a few weeks assuming all goes well.

These tweezers come in handy!

Officially emerged as of Thursday Dec 28th and here they are today with my mainline/manifold plant that’s vegging and waiting for the flower tent to be emptied.

Anyone have other best practices or advice specific to auto flowers?
FalcoBlack

23 Likes

@SubzeroIceKold

6 Likes

Judging by your vegging plant, you have a nice handle on growing. Some of the things you hear recommended for autos is planting in final pot, don’t over/under water, and don’t overfeed as some autos are nute sensitive. I think you got this. I grow autos and photos as well and just like photos there is variance in what each individual can handle. I take a light hand in feeding and even light intensity then you can kind of crank things up as you see what they can handle. Anyway, it sounds like you have some cool genetics. I look forward to watching the progress.

11 Likes

Very easy to overwater and/or overfeed and/or over light autoflowers, especially early on. Once they get goin they can yield pretty OK, but gotta be gradual with thinfs like increasing water and light.

In some ways its easy to have an attitude with autos like “you can throw em in any tent!” but I’ve found them to be a lot more finnicky than many photoperiod plants. Mephisto is pretty great tho, we enjoyed their sour stomper very much.

7 Likes

Looking good. Gonna be trying our hand at autos come the new year. @OnePassionateGrower 's got you hooked up on the tag. Also check into @Going2fast 's thread, or ask @blowdout2269 . Both run some great autos.
I’ll be watching this’n if you don’t mind me hanging in the back and tossing out :heart: s.
Stay up
Coffin_Dodger
:ghost: :raccoon:

6 Likes

Just “Personal Two Cents” here…pay attention to @Cbizzle’s “Sage Advice”. He is full of knowledge, so heed well. Reach out to 'em at ANY stage. You’ll do just fine, observe and listen to your plants. Continued success, take care, stay safe, and be well…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

If anyone is going to do justice by my auto creations it will be @FalcoBlack this guy has some skills. I’m excited to say this is the first time I see canna cheese x Galaxy Brain out and about.

I’m thrilled, thank you for posting. Can’t wait to keep seeing the updates on this thread !

Some of the guys are going to be excited to see these autos as well they were probably tagged already

:tada::confetti_ball::partying_face::champagne:

Check this out @Carty

13 Likes

Oh man, those are nice words from one of the coolest dudes on the OG! I echo what @misterbee says as well. Plenty of great and helpful growers of autos and photos on OG and the nicest crew to boot!

5 Likes

Thank you! :pray:

2 Likes

Your light cycle is the “key” – what cycle are you going to use ? - 12/12 - 18/6 – 20/4 or 24hr light your pot size 3 gallon or 5 gallon

1 Like

Interested to watch this one, I’m not very well-versed in autos either but I have 3 of them going right now around day 42. Best of luck!

2 Likes

I have killed every auto that I have tried to grow. Usually within the first 2 weeks. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Pot size is 5 gal and the light cycle is currently on 18/6. I’ve heard of others using 24 hr for autos but because I have a photo in the same tent, I’m sticking with the norm for now…

5 Likes

Like you I throw in an auto sometimes with my 18/6 photos after seeing the “un-used” soil in a 5 gallon - now use a 3 gallon (more room in space also) , yes, this affect yields , but have gotten 7oz’s from a auto in a 3 gallon. and now stick to only a hand-full of auto breeders @FalcoBlack sure look like good things are going to grow in your tent !!! Happy Cultivation

1 Like

Autos do great under 18 hr on an 6 hr off as far as light goes and also do some lst… Low stress training on them it will double ur harvest weight…be careful not to over feed them… I started indoors with autos they also grow awesome outside too… I have transplanted them as well as top them too… Most myth surrounding auto are just that myth…They are a lot easier to grow. Main thing is not to over feed them… Personally i run them 16 hr on an 8 hr off… Just like all living things we do our growing during rest time lol… Im sure u will love auto flower plants…
1 good genetics
2 good light
3 good humidity an temp
4 good growing medium
5 good ventilation
6 good nutrients
7 a loving grower
And
All will be excellent
Enjoy
Have fun
Be safe
Growers.:green_heart:.

5 Likes

Check out the grow journals of @Going2fast to see some great succes stories!

Bend them over!

5 Likes

9 Likes

Quick photo update, day 12:

7 Likes

Very nice setup n grow you have going. I e just started with autos and Feminized seed. Never cracked on till recently. Gotta admit, they have been a easy grow.

I’d like to follow along here and see how you do it. We all seem to do things a little differently so hey maybe I’ll catch a few pointers.
I’m an old grower recently given the freedom of legal weed. I’ve planned this in my head for years and finally moving forward with it all.
Best of luck to ya.

5 Likes

I’ll be starting some Pinot noir x galaxy brain from @SubzeroIceKold as well in the next couple days!
My first run of autos aswell, but only my second grow. Happy growing, I’ll keep an eye to follow along!

3 Likes