Back in the game

well seems strange i wont lie, im not sure if this is the same site i used to frequent probably around 15 years ago now, anyway whether the original site or a new version of it im back again lol, have recently got back into growing after nearly 10 years out, have grown most styles over the years (grew consistently for around 20 years before the hiatus) anyway am currently growing a bf blue cheese and a bcn critical xxl, its the critial xl i would like any info on,
just for info im running 2 x 42l tubs with one plant per tank with a 600w cooltube and canna aqua nutes and dr hornbys big bud and pk 13/14 will add to my goodies as time passes but got essentials covered, am growing bubbler style not rcdwc, looking good 3 weeks from seedling and have just gone into flower, would like to know what to expect height and yield wise and also have read this can be prone to mould and my rh is higher than i would like at around 75% but will get a de humidifier asap, had some mag def in the bc but seems to be rectified now TIA

22 Likes

Hey @big_poppa! Welcome back to growing and to the new OG :slight_smile:

I have no clue about your seeds - never heard of them - but they look happy. I have only been growing for a few years, so Im still a relative newbie as far as different strains. Where did you get them? Hopefully someone who knows will jump in.

6 Likes

Barney’s farm for the blue cheese. It’s a good smoke. Staple of the English diet :joy:
And I’m pretty sure the BCN critical xl is gonna be a seed stockers :wink:

Nothing wrong with what’s going on here. Times have changed on the lighting front though @big_poppa have a scan about. See what you like. This is OG2.0 btw. Original was seized years ago

6 Likes

thanks guys, ok so that explains the og issue lol, well im pleased to be here on the new improved OG and growing again, have been seeing folks seem to be turning to lcd, i dunno lol seems like it couldnt possibly be as effective as the old lights although obviously im completely wrong and i have seen some fantastic results using these new lighting rigs, seem a bit pricey to set up tho again i totally appreciate the reduced running costs no doubt make them cost effective over the medium to long term and of course reduced heat signature has always gotta be a good thing, im currently residing in cyprus which has both extremely oppressive legal attitudes towards mj but also some pretty extreme temperatures here, i will def need a res chiller if i hope to keep utilising dwc methods as otherwise i will have no chance of keeping the res temps under control when its 48 degrees outside lol altho i do have a/c so shud be able to keep the temps under control (alongside the cooltube which will lrove to be a must i think)
access to hydroponic supplies here is severely restricted due to the legalities here and the absolute need for stealth (can get two years for a couple of joints here and thats no joke) so have to be extremely careful when ordering supplies, the soil here is a joke and is useless for growing unless i want to start making my own which is a pita,
am thinking the increased tank sizes and a chiller will be able to keep temps under control better than nft which is actually my preferred way to grow the herb,

soil is too expensive to ship here and is impossible to get decent soil here so for me i feel is out of the question,
nft i feel will have serious issues controlling the res temps so resorted back to dwc. used to do nft in gutters or 6 in plastic pipe with holes for netpots and usually bubble clone with netpots and hydroton pebbles as a medium

8 Likes

Welcome back. With 42L of space each those things are gonna get really huge. Also dr Hornsby big bud is great stuff I used to use that all the time, I’m not sure why I stopped I guess I just forgot it existed lol

7 Likes

yep lol, got plenty of room though so no worries there, these are only the seeds i am growing out for clones really and the real fun starts when the 15 clones i have taken root up hopefully over the next week or so, these babies went into flower literally yesterday (sunday) and am obvs using these as test plants for which one to run with, will eventually have a few more lights and run 4 of these per 600 and should end up with 4 lights total in the end with 4 under each so 16 in total, ones vegged for 10-14 day from the last clone to start showing growth after rooting then will be flipped, i used to run big rooms and traditionally grown perpetual harvest as i dont like waiting a couple of months a time lol so will stagger the crops and have 2 at a time per month, will look to hit around 3-5 oz per plant (once i have a decent strain to go with, these are the starting points and not necessarily what i will end up going with longer term) if both perform well ill go with both and split the room crop wise doing 8 of each, forgotten so so much its not funny but its coming back real fast so im not concerned and already am aware of most of the pitfalls,
my next on the list to get is cannazym and rhizotonic and might try and see if that hydroguard is any good, also will get liquid silicone as i always used to use it throughout and swear by it to keep your plants looking absolutely lush in terms of leaf colour texture and shine, a healthy leaf is a health plant and healthy leaves start with healthy roots lol

7 Likes

Nice setup, I do 2 600s here with usually 4 under each in coco. I’ve been stuck pheno hunting like you for a while as I’ve been getting everything setup, but now I have a keeper so I can just keep pounding it perpetually while I try other stuff on the side.

Ever tried grozyme (aka hygrozyme)? Expensive, but just a killer enzyme product. If I had the cash I’d use it on everything. I’m not sure how it compares to cannazym in price, but if they’re similar maybe check it out.

And yes you’re right about silicon it just seems to make them alot tougher and happier overall.

4 Likes

since buying nutrients can be a problem because you don’t try aquaponic

4 Likes

will update with a couple of pics, flipped the switch on sunday and its now thursday and they are looking sexy as all hell, clones have started rooting now, got 3 popped of the 13 i have in the bubble cloner currently, been in for around 15 days i believe, expect more will be popping within the next few days so come saturday i should have most rooted up and will then comment on success rate, they have been a bit cold but i have put them in a warmer room now which will explain the slightly longer than liked rooting times, still all should be on target to get the next cycle in at around the halfway point of the current crop to get the perpetual cycle up and running then its just maintenance

2 Likes

5 Likes

2 Likes

these babies looking about ready for some food, just want to wait a couple more days to let the last few grow their roots a bit more but everything in there has rooted and at least a couple have now started vegging, yes thats just a lamp with a flouro bulb shoved thru a hole lol, i cover the top wig a towel and it sits in a seperate room

1 Like

the two seed plants starting their third week of flower now, starting to set flowers

3 Likes

will thin them out a little shortly and keep lateral growth somewhat under control but this grow is more about watching their natural tendancies and growth patterns so as to match the plant with the style, the blue cheese seems naturally branchy with lateral growth equal to and even greater than the main cola so will do great for scrog naturally and has absolutely no need to be topped whereas the critical xxl would benefit from tight control of lateral branching and keep it closely pruned to achieve a magnificent main stem, nodespacing is tight but leaves are extremely bushy which shades all lower growth so its def best off concentrating on the main top cola. the cxxl prefers a slightly weaker food mix of around 550-600 ppm while i read the blue cheese is sensitive to nutes i have found her to be a hungry girl but she does not like the lower ph ranges and will pop deficiencies readily if the ph drops below 5.8 esp mag whereas at 6.2 she is healthy and loving life

1 Like

well have given the clones their first feed at 1/3 strength ph’ed to 5.9 using canna aqua, a few of them are well into veg and have started stretching away so next run will ready in 2 weeks to go into the flower room to join the two seed mothers who have just finished their third week of flower and are starting to really set bud now having stretched to just over double height, the bf bue cheese im doing would suit a scrog very well the critical xxl i think unless its an amazing smoke or yielder will be falling to the wayside and the next crops will all be blue cheese. will update with a few pics when the light comes on

1 Like

3 weeks of flowering completed, the blue cheese seem quite advanced for 3 weeks in so am looking forward to what they will look like at around week 8-9

6 Likes

Love how they grow upside down lol
Blue cheese Ive grown that a few
Welcome and enjoy you grow

1 Like

They are looking great! Well done!

1 Like

little update halfway through week 5 of flower and next run has just gone in, really do need another light though

5 Likes