Backyard soil rejuvenation project

Mini trenches are dug by the trellis and sweet pea seeds are in the ground. 7 to 14 day germ. Let’s see how this rejuvenated soil in the veggie patch does! Also, I’m a proper gardener now and threw the green waste in the first tumbler. It’s not full yet, but it will get there. Now, I need to find some compost starter and I’m on my way. Greenhouse is ready as soon as the solstice hits… auto experiment w/mammoth P comparison will commence.

2 Likes

Don’t waste your money on bagged retail compost starter that’s just a damn scam IMO you can get the microbes by just throwing soil in there and some coffe grounds I’v never had to use it never will ’

3 Likes

I rotated my compost today. I assume spinning them once or twice a week is good? I did not however look inside as it’s been less than a week. lol LITFA

Hey @MomOnTheRun I’m gonna start some chamomile and echinacea seeds in my greenhouse simply cuz I dig flowers, but do either of these have any nutritional value that I can use for other plants?

3 Likes

I don’t know about echinacea though chamomile is awesome for helping to produce more trichomes while adding calcium, sulphur and potassium back into the soil when it breaks down.

3 Likes

Ooh! Really! Meaning grown as a companion or making something out of it to feed buds?

1 Like

Both :stuck_out_tongue: The roots will uptake some nutrients while providing extra aeration then when they need pruned back or fade, shred them up and topdress…if done in early veg, they should be broken down enough by ~week 3-4 flower for the cannabis plants to use or alternatively, make a ferment to add in whenever a boost is needed in a soil drench or diluted more for foliar feeding. When I have it, I treat it like insect frass :wink:

1 Like

Awesome thank you! I’ll def plant some in the new mj beds then when they are finished. In the meantime, if they grow fast enough I can top dress the greenhouse autos (I doubt they will)

1 Like

Interestingly enough, many of the chicken safe flowers/food are wonderful additions for cannabis…some growers have replaced their worm food with chicken crumbles and pumpkin then topdress with it adding comfrey, calendula, chamomile, dandelion etc for their benefits as they break down

2 Likes

MORE! 1-2x a DAY! :fire: :thumbsup:

:persevere:

:evergreen_tree:

…and more so: i’ve read of a soil recipe using: chicken feed. :neutral_face: :chicken:
it’s some lowish NPK like 2 or 3 & has calcium/oyster-shell usually.

indeed wormies loooooove chicken food. and horse poo. and cardboard and and and

4 Likes

My poor worms only get left over coffee grounds, and newspaper, and neem, and kelp, and malted barley, and cannabis leaves, and…

4 Likes

Gotta be careful what kind of newspaper it is. Used the sports section the other day and all my worms turned into Miami Dolphins fans. No loyalty at all.

6 Likes

Wow! The Monarch Butterflies love my cover crop! Everyday there has been at least 3 or 4 out there. So beautiful!
The empty greenhouse apparently works even with no plants in it as I see moisture inside. Today is the solstice. Planned to start the autos today in there but the hydro store closed early on Sunday and Dad and I were gonna get some Mammoth P for my experiment. I need to wait until this Sunday as Dad is footing the hefty bill for it. We share costs with the mj grows as I grow it for both of us and it’s his turn. lol Anyways, got to stop geeking out on my garden and get to work today so I can buy more flowers and seeds. Maybe I will start some chamomile and echinacea seeds out in the greenhouse tmw. Farmers Almanac said I could start large tomatoes in there too. Maybe I will throw some in as well. I’ve never grown tomatoes.

4 Likes

Kind of bummed. Went to my local hydro shop and they were out of the 70 dollar bottles of Mammoth P. I wanted to start my greenhouse experiment tomorrow, now I have to wait another week. I asked them to order some. They only had the bigger $160 bottles. Way too pricey for an experimental agent.

Regardless, I bought a bunch of flower and herb seeds today. I’ll get them started in the greenhouse at least. I can’t stand seeing it out there empty. lol

On another note… I don’t think any of my fancy lilies that I bought are gonna come up. They need a cold snap that we’ll never get. Maybe next summer I’ll buy a mini fridge for the garage strictly to chill bulbs in

3 Likes

Don’t be too bummed about the Mammoth P. There’s always the chance you notice no benefit from it.

5 Likes

The grow-shop was bummed too! :laughing:

I can say it’s basically a waste of 70$ for most growers, having been convinced that I needed it too(hadn’t yet discovered LITFA), seeing-is-believing/trusting mr. Growmau5, and having used it.

I believe the more/most impressive results of using MammothP is in environments lacking healthy biology; restated, it will provide a big 15% increase when added to an otherwise or relatively PSB-sterile environment(phosphorous-solublizing-bacteria). :sweat_smile:

Since I did not compare treated/untreated identical plants it’s just hearsay/anecdotal but I’ve got good JuJu. :upside_down:

Spend that bread on somethin else, imo.

3 Likes

I agree! Probably a waste of money!

3 Likes

You can get PSB from Em1 along with a host of other microorganisms!

4 Likes

I was in the grow store yesterday and saw a gallon or a small bucket (2 gallon)of some shit it had a price tag of 309$ Ridiculous!

You don’t need that crap @Meesh just concentrate on building a great soil and a year or so you’ll be amazed! Don’t get sidetracked by all the glam and glitter! Your doing the right thing already keep up the great work!

4 Likes

I’m gonna do a side by side comparison you guys for experimental purposes. I think it’s worth it for us all to see first hand. Plus it’s good for me to have a project. Good for my depression

4 Likes

I saw a 4x4x7 tent for 250, a rail system for 250, and the combination of any lights at my local hydro shop also go for 250-1750.

Shops rip you off big time

2 Likes