Backyard soil rejuvenation project

Dirt is an antidepressant. :seedling:

:pray: :head_bandage:

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

Pulled up one of my green onions and ate it. It was truly delicious and the hottest green onion Iā€™ve ever had. Never thought of them as hot before. These had quite a kick. I got 2 new zinnia flowers from a different type I planted. I cut them and gave them away though. Iā€™ll have to take pics of the next ones that bloom. Left Jezzy in the backyard for a bit today, looked out the kitchen window and that bitch was digging under my tomatoes. Busted! Since I caught her red-handed Iā€™m hoping she will stay out for good now. She wonā€™t step foot in there when Iā€™m outside. Pushing her luck today. Lily flowers are forming for sure. The yellow one I mentioned and the double tigers. The have buds and the tiger ones are starting to branch them off into what look like separate spikes! Super cool! Canā€™t wait. Got Dahlia flower #2 off of the same plant. No sign of anymore, bugs may have damaged the others too extensively. We shall see. There are probably 4 or 5 sets of tubers that I planted. Hope I get more than 2 whole flowers from them.

7 Likes

Planted some more chives from another pack. And seeded another container. 4 days ā€¦no chives yet. I will break this curse yet!

4 Likes

Condolences to you and yours @Meesh

3 Likes

Home grown foods always taste the best

5 Likes

Mine took a good 2 weeks and I still only have like 6 or 7 lol. What is the damn chive curse? Still not a peek of an entire pack of spearmint that I put in at the same time. Pfft. Good luck, buddy!

3 Likes

Shot of the garden

11 Likes

Alright, gonna put on my cute floppy hat and an arthritis patch and work on my farmerā€™s tan (getting a good one). Need to dig out more of the evil bermuda grass. It never ends. My least favorite chore in the garden and my shoulder hates the shovel. Bahhhā€¦

My next purchase is gonna be an outdoor bluetooth speaker. Iā€™ve seen some shaped like rocks or gnomes. Would make digging much more pleasant.

11 Likes

3 hours of digging! Fucken grass! Probably will need another 3 to finish up just the veggie patch and I still have to finish my rounds for it in the planters. Sweated so hard I lost my pain patch an hour in. My gardener was completely tripping out on my garden as he only sees it every 2 weeks. I donā€™t notice much on the day to day. I have to look back at pics. I notice the tomatoes thoughā€¦ those suckers grow in feet daily it seems. I am running the sprinkler for an hour and I am gonna read back this thread until I find out how long itā€™s been since a spinosad spray. I only can do this once a month or so. Bottle says only like 5 times a season if I recall. If itā€™s been a month, Iā€™ll do it right before sundown tonight.

EDIT: Okay last spinosad application was exactly 21 days ago. Iā€™ll do it next Friday

7 Likes

Did a Brix Blaster foliar on the entire backyard. Instead of being lazy this time I whipped up a small batch and did the front planters. I remembered the roses in the back went crazy for it last time, so I gave some love to the front roses for sure. They are gonna be so happy! While I was out front my neighbor came over and told me how great the backyard looks and how pretty all the new flowers are. Oh Man, Yā€™all know I just LOVED that! lol Especially since Rosie has lived next door since my Gramps the super gardener lived here and everything was always perfect out there until he got Alzheimers and passed. He had me beat in the veggie department, but I have way more flowers!! lol

I also looked up all of my plant orders from Michigan Bulb and got an email out for credits on anything that died or didnā€™t come up. I recommend them. They guarantee their plants for a year.

6 Likes

Here are my Zinnia pics from the start and how they finished. They seemed to take forever to get going but once they did it was impressive. Mulch on top of the dirt helped to keep some moisture in. They really took off when we finally got a good rain. They were easier after that. And, they go all the way to winter almost.

Each color is one plant. They turn into monsters. So, when it says 18" for spacing between each plant, it is for reason. You can see all of the new buds in the plants, too. They continue to explode their whole life cycle. The colors are so bright itā€™s crazy. Neon on some.

peace

11 Likes

I made mistake of showing my wife this thread. This is gonna hurt bad, if it ever stops raining long enough to get out and play in the dirt. You guys are killinā€™ it.

7 Likes

Those are gorgeous!! Thanks for posting them! Iā€™m gonna try a few different types next year. Iā€™m really happy with 2 of the varieties I bought, but not so much on the other one. For some reason, Iā€™m extremely fond of your white ones. Iā€™m gonna have to grow more white flowers in the sun. Most of the shade plants I bought are white, but not a lot in the sun. For some reason, I always gravitate towards, purple and pinks. I need to branch out more as I really like variety.

Are you planting some this year too? Itā€™s getting lateā€¦ lol

I forgot to mention that one type I have is a cutting Zinnia so it has really long stems! Really love it! That was the 2 the other day that I gave away. Love randomly bringing friends, neighbors and clients flowers from my garden to brighten their day. Plus, I always have cut flowers in the house.

5 Likes

Hahaha! Iā€™ve got to tell ya, my dad and my boyfriend are so happy their work is done! We dug out there and rototilled etcā€¦ for months! My man was straight hating on me for sure. lol Do you think either one of them offers to help me dig out the grass now? Hell No! Not their circus or their monkeys! Maintenance is all me. I donā€™t blame them. I worked them to death.

5 Likes

Thereā€™s a reason we hired a landscaper to re-sod our back lawn. Iā€™m fascinated by hard work. I can sit and watch it all day.

5 Likes

Hahaha! Supervision, Man! Itā€™s a thing!

Oh, Iā€™m not touching the grass. That weeded out old shit can just be ugly or die. Not to mentionā€¦ Bermuda Grass! Like a circle in hell.

4 Likes

The reason weā€™re replacing the lawn is exactly that. Itā€™s weeded out shit, on clay at that. Add rain (Iā€™ve been considering building ark) our two 140lb dogs to the mix and it has been living hell.

You have no idea how excited am at the prospect of getting out there digging in that shit to help the wife with her flowers. My back hurts just thinking about it.

I have this theory about plants with flowers btw. If you canā€™t eat them or smoke them, they arenā€™t worth the time of day. Thatā€™s why they make lawnmowersā€¦

4 Likes

Yeah, but growing out some flowers for your wife is gonna earn you some major sexy timeā€¦ and please donā€™t tell me that your back hurts just thinking about it. :joy::joy:

3 Likes

No, that wouldnā€™t be a good idea at all Meesh. My wife has the url for this thread and I value all of my body parts.

5 Likes

Iā€™m sort of hoping some of the seeds made it through the winter and come up naturally. I heard they do sometimes. We have a late planting season here so, Iā€™m still okay.

Our farmers market opens in 3 weeks or sooner, and Iā€™ll pick up some flowers there, to plant. I think Iā€™ll add the Zinnia again if they donā€™t come up on their own. They were maintenance free mostly.

The yellow and pale orange colors are really nice as well.

4 Likes