Backyard soil rejuvenation project

Hey, you were just post number 1000! You should win a prize or something. :clap:

2 Likes

Here’s a few for ya’…

My trillium, Ontario’s Provincial flower, that I dug up from the woods about 7 years ago…

Daffodils…

Tulips…

Misc…

Hahaha… Just realized I was your 1000th after I posted… I feel special now…lol

Peace
DaFozz

7 Likes

That trillium is exceptional! Love all the rocks you have as borders! I need more woodland in my life! Sigh. Post away, at your whim, anytime! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

7 Likes

@anon95954822 So, now I can’t stop thinking about your rocks! lol That looks tight. My wheels are turning, thinking I need stuff like that in the very back by my trees and the part shade. I could figure out a proper fairy shade garden with those. I still need to plant some sort of invasive ground cover to replace the weeds back there. I just don’t want to put something that’s worse than my bermuda grass.

4 Likes

I know it does you no good this season, but if you like, I can collect a shitload of Creeping Thyme seeds over the summer for you if you care to try them for a ground cover… I know I complain about it, but it really does bloom nicely and does smell nice… I just don’t like adding it into the compost pile with the rest of the grass clippings… and it grows in less than ideal soil. (i.e. mine is very sandy)

As for the rocks, I collected those from a few “bush” gravel pits and spots along the trail where I trap minnows for fishing. Every so often I would bring a few Rubbermaid containers and stop and fill them with rocks that caught my eye, and a few Spruce saplings… Now, I have to collect some more rocks as I want to redo my firepit, and hopefully be able to incorporate a wood-fired oven into the mix…

Peace
DaFozz

3 Likes

Just for you… Rocks… One of “my creations” to get rid of some of the Thyme… replace it with flowers, etc… always a work in progress and expanding on a whim…

Peace
DaFozz

4 Likes

That’s very cool! Really love your sculptures in there too! Your sandy soil is just crying out for chives. lol I have some creeping thyme overflowing some starters still (since the greenhouse) lol Couldn’t bring myself to kill them. It’s gotta be better than the bermuda grass. Anything is better. I’ve let weeds wipe it out in the very back now I need something to wipe the weeds out lol. I’m too lazy and too cheap to re-sod the lawn back there.

2 Likes

Hahaha… I have chives, 2 good bunches that suffice for the season… trying to grow garlic chives in a container with the chamomile that grew from seed deposited over winter… not fairing as well as the chamomile but it’s still early for me…

Funny you mention the “sculptures”…

The one in the foreground is intended to be a birdbath if I ever get around to getting out the grinder and a cutting disc and grinding stone, and the other is an “inuksuk” that I made for luck when my brother went up to CFS Alert to work, to bring him back safely…

Peace
DaFozz

3 Likes

Sunflowers, my friends! Learned something new about them and thought I’d share. Did some research on when to bag the sunflower heads so I can collect seeds. Turns out. What we consider petals on a sunflower are actually leaves. The flowers are all the individual little black things within the middle and are what turn to seed. So a sunflower is really a collection of hundreds of mini flowers. :sunflower: I found this quite interesting!

3 Likes

Really trying to capture the magic of my garden. With all the glads opening it is truly a lovely assault on the senses when I open my back gate. Unfortunately the pics just don’t capture it as it truly is… anyway a few shots

8 Likes

Wow, what colors!! It’s like they’re all plugged in! I bet it’s awesome at sunrise or sunset… or, or… heh

1 Like

Very pretty @Meesh… I know it would make me smile and just a little giddy (lol) too…

Nice mix of colours in there, and healthy looking…:clap:

Peace
DaFozz

2 Likes

Looking good @Meesh garden of the year! Right there!

1 Like

Thanks Guys! The pics make everything look small. Everything is really big out there as you stroll around. It’s so much better in real life.

@GMan I must go out there like 20 times a day just to look around. In the evening the smell is off the chain, but my morning coffee stroll is my fave cuz something new will be there, always. lol

@anon95954822 I was certainly going for color, but had no color scheme really. Seems all colors when it comes to flowers look good together. Dumb luck really. lol

@Tinytuttle I appreciate it, but @99PerCent hasn’t posted his garden pics yet and yours is just starting. I’m certain you guys will outshine me. However, by next year I may give you all a run for your money. Oh and did you see DaFozz rock sculpture stuff? I feel like amateur hour over here. :wink:

3 Likes

So 3 of 4 french white marigolds, 2 of 2 bells of ireland and 1 of 2 shasta daisy seeds have germed. Waiting on delphiniums, package says like a month for those. pfft

Its a rough year for the garden with all the home repairs.

Some of my regular friends are out there waiting for me.

4 Likes

9 Likes

Man, I want to grow those now… do you buy the colors separately or do they come as assorted colors?

Flower gardens and pot just go together!

3 Likes

Some I bought separate, like the green and purple ones, but most were a mix… Michigan bulb company. It’s the shit! Btw… the gladiolas are about 5 feet tall. Good edging or back of the border bulbs. They are really spicing up my summer garden. Loving them!

3 Likes