Backyard soil rejuvenation project

Biggest birdhouse gourd so far

Come inside my trellis…

Jaguar marigolds looking mighty

Cantaloupe plant, flowers but no fruit yet

Side of the trellis gourds and marigolds looking cool

9 Likes

The taller zinnias all have pm. Sprayed them down with 1 tbsp of peroxide to a gallon of water this evening. Anyone know when I will see results? Will it just eat the pm and be invisible or what? What will I see if it worked?

1 Like

Interesting article about plants and aspirin…
http://www.plantea.com/plant-aspirin.htm

1 Like

You should see the PM begin to clear up after a few days.
To keep it away and under control, you should spray every day.
I have given up, and pulled all of my zinnias because I am weary of fighting the PM
Only the zinnias are infected. All other plants untouched thus far. Time to throw in the towel for me.

BTW, I use 2 to 3 tablespoons per gallon (as much as I can without burning plants).

Good luck with your righteous battle!

4 Likes

We had unusual rain (for these new times) this spring and cool temps in between really hot days.
My roses are showing it bad… I had zinnias near them last year but no problems. Maybe it’s a good thing I didn’t plant them this year.

Hey Meesh, you got it looking great. Cool spot. I see some red cherry tomatoes in the background!!! I haven’t even planted mine yet… I will today maybe, but it’s suppose to rain again the next 3 afternoons. It came in yesterday and dropped temps to the 50’s all afternoon… not really tomato weather.

2 Likes

Okay, I’ll kick it up a tbsp. Of course it drizzled this morning. It doesn’t seem unusually humid, but I’m used to it. Apparently 60 - 70% pisses off zinnias. Sure hasn’t stalled the blooms though… sheesh. The fight begins

Sprayed peroxide again on the zinnias. I may need to pull one bush out. It’s pretty bad, one entire stalk busted off by itself, filled with buds, flowers etc… I think the stem’s got some sort of rot. It’s just too close to the Cherry Berry White plant for my comfort if it’s moldy. I think the other zinnias will survive. Well, for awhile anyway.

2 Likes

I like your trellis.

:blush::laughing: :coffin:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

The biggest lily I’ve ever seen and I grew it. It’s 2 hands big

7 Likes

Don’t worry about it, Homie, Jezebel will dig you up. :smirk:

5 Likes

Wow @Meesh! You’ve done a really impressive job with your back yard! I cant wait until the wife and I have a property to be able to do something like that. I actually managed to get through this thread in under 24 hours! Works been slow… lol

4 Likes

Wow, I didn’t know they got that big. It’s a beauty… all of your flowers are.

2 Likes

Went out to prune the cilantro and then ended up going crazy on my tomato plants again. They still need more, but that was enough for today. Boy, did I learn my lesson on pruning those from the get go. Sheesh.

The snapdragons I started from seed are finally starting to flower. No sign of the vinca flowering that are in the same pot. They do however look like they are bushing out a bit since I topped them.

I’ll get to tearing out that zinnia sometime this week. I just pooped out today. Feeling super lazy and tired with a kink in my neck.

The lobelia I started from seed way late is getting ready to flower. It’s in a pot in the partial shade. Only one plant starting to flower though… there are 3 in the pot. Those plants seem super happy where they are.

3 Likes

Planted one of the shasta daisy starters in my flower bed today. I have 2 more that barely sprouted in case they don’t take. I stuck them in to fend for themselves with only like 1 set of true leaves, I’ve had bad luck both direct sowing and planting a starter of these this year, so we’ll see. Fucken Perennials are tough to start from seed. They just take so long. Crap, just remembered the shasta daisy bareroot failed as well. lol Okay all 3 ways! Damn it! I’m gonna make it happen.

btw… I still have that 1 lavender that I managed to start after 3 tries. It’s still in the starter and tiny. I’m afraid to put it in the ground so small after such a nightmare germing it. lol I’ll just keep letting it grow in the starter for now…

1 Like

9 Likes

My perennial list

Flower bed 1 - Delphiniums (germing), Lilies, Carnations, Lilac, Papavers, Ranunculus, Bearded Iris, Hyacinths

Flower bed 2 - Comphrey, Lilies, Blue Globe Thistle, Blue Sea Holly, Daffodils

Flower bed 3 - Wisteria, Lilies, Canterbury bells (biannual), Astromeria, Brodeia Rudy

Flower bed 4 - Dahlias, Gladiolas, Shasta Daisy, Echinacea, 2 Painted Daisies, Lilies

Flower bed 5 - Summer bulb garden- Anemones, Giant Lilies, Liatris, Gladiolas

Shade Garden - Pink fairy lilies, Hosta, 3 Bleeding Hearts, Lily of the Valley, 3 Hellebores, 3 Ferns, Primrose (died)

Cutting Garden - Roses, Irises, Freesia, Tuberose, Daffodils, Tulips, Gladiolas, Allium (never came up)

I may need an intervention.

5 Likes

Man, you’re killing it!! Very pretty!

5 Likes

Unfortunately, I had to pull out 2 of the zinnia plants. The peroxide didn’t touch the pm. It spread quickly and while it didn’t really seem to be killing the plants they were too close to the cannabis with mildew on them for my comfort. I still have 3 more tall ones and 3 of the smaller type. I have a feeling that eventually all of the tall ones are gonna end up pulled out as the DBHP eventually will run out of room. I really misjudged the size of my cannabis plants. Didn’t realize they would do this well in the first year the veggie patch has been farmed in a decade. Even with the amendments.

Entire garden got a liquid fish drench today per soil test. 2 weeks I switch back to Cal/Mag drenches.

3 of 6 Delphiniums have sprouted so far. Amazed as the package said 25 - 28 days. It hasn’t even been 2 weeks. Also, both of the Bells of Ireland, all of the shastas and 3 of 4 french marigolds have come up. Been looking around the garden for a permanent home for the English Lavender. Not sure where to put it now. In the shade garden, the pink fairy lilies keep blooming! I thought they were done, it’s really hard to know as the flower just shoots straight out of the ground overnight. I’m happy they keep blooming cuz they are really pretty. I planted some pink siam tulips near them too. These are more a tropical plant than a tulip though. No sign of them. May have to email Michigan bulb for a credit on this one. I need to send one anyways for credit on the blue zebra primrose and bat flower. The ghost fern…every time I think it’s toast it sprouts a baby leaf. Maybe eventually it will take and spring to life!

4 Likes

Some new colors on the bitchen glads

Lone huge white one starting

Tomatoes after recent hack job

Nemesia

Look at the size of this sucker! Probably a few hundred seeds in this one alone

Lilies

My prized plant above all others, the beloved hybrid lilac bush

This ridiculously healthy bearded iris that won’t flower

And a pot of petunias

8 Likes

Lord help me! All of the fall planted bulbs are up and ready for order now! I have at least 100 bucks of credit. Thinking I should shoot the wad on more fragrant lilies cuz they just tuck away so nicely in the back of the beds and in between other perennials and then focus on the shade garden. Huge beds need more shade plants. sigh

2 Likes