Bad day the other day.. sigh

Well I no longer have geese. Last night pack of coyotes. Or coydogs. Etc. Got in. And massacred the whole flock. 14 birds all embdens Sigh I planned on eating 2 this Christmas/ thanksgiving and selling the rest to buy a canoe so I can go out fishing and be sitting down… with ms… I’m getting to where my muscles hurt after a bit so standing a long time is a no go… I walked the pasture. Found only half of the bodies. Sigh. It was raining too. I really need to find someone to take down the invasive brush. Less places for predators to hide in it. More grass for the cow. I’m so pissed I could scream… tho outwardly I look pretty calm… i feel there is nothing I can do right now that will fix this … aka too late for them .

40 Likes

Soo hard to hear that @BeeLady ! I lost my flock of chickens about a month ago… I feel your pain! Hope you aren’t discouraged to get right back on that “horse”… just button up the fencing a bit… or any improvements you can.

Love & Light

:pensive: :heart::green_heart::yellow_heart:

☆DJSF

12 Likes

Ugh, so sorry to hear this. I know they were a part of your family and it’s terrible losing animals, especially so brutally. When they were meant to live an honorable life and serve you in furthering your own life and ambitions…its tough.

I know it seems like the universe has it out for you right now, but you are clearly tough as nails. Keep your head up. If you need to vent, this is definitely a place where you can clearly speak your frustrations and get some love in return.

Sharing their picture is a way of honoring them and they joy they brought you. Screaming in rage and pain is not a weakness, but rather a justified way of dealing with such a travesty.

I hope you are able to find some peace today

9 Likes

Dang so sorry to hear. I’ve never lost an entire flock before but have lost ducks, turkeys, and chickens to coyotes, bobcats, and hawks. It’s so hard to be constantly vigilant with protecting them without keeping them locked up all the time.

Those are great healthy looking geese too :frowning_face:

5 Likes

Sorry to hear… My sympathies.

1 Like

Sorry for your loss @BeeLady

1 Like

Sorry to hear it.

If you need a chuckle about geese there’s a fun story called “How the two Ivans Quarelled”

Again, I’m sorry, that really sucks.

2 Likes

Sorry about the loss of your geese @BeeLady.

2 Likes

:frowning_face: :frowning_face: :frowning_face:

1 Like

that was last winter.the photo. i wont quit… tho i will wait till next year to get goslings again. ill do some searching and see if i cant get some large dewlap toluse . rare breed larger than the embdens…

4 Likes

@BeeLady Now, that’s the spirit! :v::sunglasses:

All out of likes for now… :green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart:

☆DJSF

2 Likes

lol ty… it is frustrating as all hell but thats life on a farm… i need to get a livestock gurdian dog to raise up with the geese… that will help… that and or a llama/donkey… emu… emu are terror on coyotes

4 Likes

Dammit.
I hope you do get another flock…and if you get a donky from the BLM it will protect them.

2 Likes

Sorry you lost your flock, a good dog is a great start. Almost have to keep them in a fortress with all the predators at night. Shame.

1 Like

Or add some Peafowl to your flock.
:robot:

1 Like

Bummed Beyond Belief, Beelady. My sincerest condolences.

1 Like

Dogo argentino
You get one young and he grows w the birds he’ll protect em from anything. It’s like an overgrown pitbull actually bred for defending against and hunting large animals. Would sling coyotes around like ragdoll n the rest would run.

4 Likes

It gets really cold here where I live. -30 f. Anatolian or Pyrenees would work good

4 Likes

I’m so sorry for the loss of your geese.
Coyotes are plentiful by me as well. It is always open season in our county.
Are you allowed to shoot them?

Happy to see you’re not giving up! You go girl! :two_hearts::v:

1 Like

I feel the the same way when my chickens get snapped up by the fox. I always feel bad like i failed to protect them well enough. With my father’s coop, while he ran it, he installed an electric fence just outside the inner fence to add extra protection. Predators here are a constant threat in NY, at least that’s my take away from trying to keep flightless birds alive. Very sorry!