Bedside Cabinet Micro Growing . Rogue One . 2019

Will turn this old cabinet I got for free into a green micro machine.
Here’s some Kyuss to set the tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-MSfd2S7lo

Ordered two Proline inline fans (125mm, 190m³/hr), matching carbon filter (PK K2600) and 50W- 6400K LED light (4500 lumen). Should all be arriving this week. Along with some Dark Devil Auto seeds by Sweet Seeds. Will be growing in regular potting soil, probably in a 680ml - 12cm diameter pot which is hosting some organic basil at the moment.

Thinking to mount the output fan with the carbon filter on back panel top left corner and the intake fan on the bottom right in the front. There’s quite a bit of empty space underneath which is open at the back, convenient for cables and such.
The drawer isn’t seperated from the lower space so I’ll take the bottom and back out of the drawer and then maybe screw it in place.
Not sure where I’ll mount the led yet, It looks like a mini flood light, so at a 45 degree angle in the middle where ceiling and backpanel join seems like the most logical way to go. Saves some vertical space and plant gets a little more side coverage.

Stoked to start on this!

18 Likes

Wouldn’t put a carbon filter if my bed was beside :grin:. Good luck with your experiment, even if I cannot understand the purpose of microgrows :sweat:, I love those plants … :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I dunno about OP, but I’ll be putting together a pretty small box for a stealth run soon. 1.5x2x2 to 3 ft. I’ll only get one run before I move if I can pull it off but should give the wife n I plenty of smoke til we can move. If I can pull 1gpw off ~150w of sol strips we will last almost a year with our current consumption. Itll have to be small and stealth due to house guests and possible inspections near the end/ after harvest (plan on drying in the box too).

3 Likes

It will be standing in a spare room. It’s 13" (33cm) by 20" (50cm) and 18" (45cm) high.

All the harvest will be going into Rick Simpson Oil. 25 grams of oil, eaten every day, lasts me a whole year. Last time I made some with Afghan Hash I got, it was incredible. I’m wondering why not more people make oil or edibles, your weed will last you so much longer! When eaten your liver transforms delta-9-THC (when you smoke it goes straight into your blood only very little of it goes through your liver) into 11-hydroxy-THC which is 3 to 5 times more potent. It’s healthier, your high lasts longer and it’s more stealthy. Give it a try! :slight_smile:

Curious to see your set up ChronicMcBuds, feel free to drop a link in here if you make a thread!

5 Likes

lol love the “Rogue One” title for a stealth grow

3 Likes

Sooo… when I was ordering the carbon filter I completely ignored the dimensions, I saw that it fit the diameter of the fan and went click. I opened the box and it’s the size of my damn head. Installed it anyway because now I can grow the stankiest dank without having to worry about the smell. Also I like laughing at myself. Will have to brutalize my plant with some hardcore bondage, I’ll let her grow downwards and sideways around the pot maybe. Trimming and flopping will probably be inevitable. Testing a 50 watt floodlight LED hanging in my closet at the moment, plant seems to like it, although will be dropping an Afghani 1 Auto in the cabinet once the seeds and my Viparspectra R300 lamp arrive which will stay in the closet with my Speed Devil #2 and Dark Devil which I dropped in the soil yesterday. Doesn’t get unreasonably hot, can still touch it for a couple of seconds without hurting my hand. Don’t want anything stronger because I don’t want explosive growth or more heat. We’ll see… Airflow is great even with only the output fan turned on I can feel good flow going into the input fan. Complete overkill but just went with it for laughs.

Next is lining the inside with alu foil and mounting the LED. And I guess a thermometer wouldn’t hurt either.

Oh yeah and thanks to @Mr.Sparkle for the inspiration!

Think I’m gonna place the pot right under the filter and make the plant grow completely sideways to the left. Can drive some screws halfway into the bottom so I can tie the branches down.

6 Likes

Good luck, nice cab.

Some folks, me included, have been attributing interveinal bleaching to single temp led’s.
You might have to make provisions for another light.
YMMV

4 Likes

Thanks for dropping by. It’s 6400K, been on for a few days now, 18/6, the Speed Devil 2 just showed its first pistils, leaves are nicely green, so far so good… I’ll keep an eye out, thanks for the heads up!

2 Likes

This should be fun to watch!

BTW - if you line the box with aluminum foil, you run the risk of creating hot spots that will burn your plant, especially with everything in such close quarters. You’re probably better off lining it with Orca film, diamond mylar film, Panda film or even painting it flat white. Hell, you could even use a flat white shelf liner for a space this small!

3 Likes

Welcome, and thanks for commenting. With hot spot do you mean temperature wise or light wise? Lamp is reasonably warm but not boiling hot, won’t be frying an egg on it I don’t think. Not worried about it, will be using a light glue, can always rip it back off in the worst case.

Meanwhile Eva (Speed Devil #2) is doing well in the closet. These are coming from 10 year old seeds who never saw the inside of a fridge, so I’m happy I have one out of three that’s going strong. Some very minor signs of excess Nitrate but it’ll sort itself out. Only feeding tap water, pretty much no chlorine where I live and pH is good, added a handful of living soil from backyard, some clover, a worm and worm droppings, and did a mild flush. She didn’t even blink. Her little sister Etana can’t be bothered with it all, bless her. Gonna let her do her thing, but I dropped a Dark Devil bean right next to her yesterday and been misting it vigorously, keeping it covered with an empty tiramisu pot and it’s sprouting, showing a nice pale yellow color, what a miracle life is.

Cam couldn’t deal with the LED’s frequency, hah.

Take it easy wonderful people.

9 Likes

This is very common, if your camera allows it you can adjust the exposure time to compensate.

2 Likes

I read a bit more about reflective materials and you’re right, didn’t realize alu foil only reflects about 60%, white paint up to 80% and mylar over 95%!
Forever learning… Thanks!

I have white paint so that’s that.

Dark Devil shed her hull and unfolded her baby leaves. Life is grand.
Gonna call her Cvetka, which is Slovenian for blossom / flower.

5 Likes

Only got the webcam in my laptop to work with for now, it’s that or analog… Maybe when harvest time comes I’ll shoot some B&W 35mm frames, give the lab people a chuckle.

2 Likes

Yes, the reflective properties are also a factor, but regarding your previous question about hot spots, I was referring to the light being reflected in a concentration that will burn the plant. BTW - Mylar can also do that, but you’ll be safe with flat white paint.

2 Likes

As you might have noticed by snooping around OG.com, digital photography becomes a complementary hobby to growing. You should think about getting a digital camera, even if it’s a used one on ebay. You’ll never regret having it, but you might regret letting a stranger develop your film.

3 Likes

I have one but still need to order a conversion ring so I can fit the lens from my 35mm onto it. All in the right time. And I’d let a friend develop my film, hahaha.

Forward!
Nevermind my fantastic paintjob, the paint I thought I had was some really old kids paint, and I used a small brush, but it was therapeutic, and I don’t wanna throw any more money into this thing. It’s good enough for me. Not looking to win awards here. Lamp position was adjusted after pic, it doesn’t touch anything. Waiting for my Afghani 1 auto seeds to arrive to get this jive going.

The screws are for bondage purposes.

Vibraspectra arrived today, straight into the closet.

8 Likes

There’s a couple of bats living in my shed, found a handful of droppings, is that stuff ok for top dressing on a flowering plant, or should I better wait for my next grow and mix it in the soil?

1 Like

Guano needs to compost. The stuff you buy is not fresh :poop: I would add it to a compost pile or worm bin. :+1::seedling:

5 Likes

That’s what I thought, thanks!

1 Like

Got alfalfa meal, kelp meal, fine basalt powder and a bag of fresh vermicompost full of worms.
Thinking to top dress with the vermicompost and dissolve a tablespoon of all the powders in some water and feed it to my two pots. The worms will descend into the pot, right?
A little grass cuttings to finish off perhaps.

2 Likes