Bez's 2X2 Blurple, COB, and Fluorescent Closet Grow

Hi everyone,

I’m back after almost 20 years away from Overgrow! Been quite the adventure since I was here last in late 90’s. Now I’m growing on much smaller scale with the new technology.

I find that if I do a grow journal I grow better pot because I am more attentive to my grow (with all the picture taking and such).

Also, perhaps I can help others along the way so all comments and questions welcome.

I will start with an overview of my lights, soil type, and grow space followed by quick review leading up to my most recent harvest (Nirvana Maui from Seedsman…harvested approx. 13 days ago) followed by pics and update of current grow (more Maui and some AK-48)

My grow will be somewhat of a small continuous harvest grow so always new ones added while harvesting old ones. Currently all my strains/seeds are from Seedsman and a UK seedbank.

Plan on introducing new strains over time.

17 Likes

My lights are an Advanced Led
Diamond Series XTE 200 LED Grow Light With USA Made 5w CREE XT-E LEDs
https://advancedledlights.com/products/led-grow-lights/ds-xte-200/

Single 75 Plug and Play LED Grow Light with a CREE CXB3590 COB

KIND LED Flower Bar Light
https://www.kindledgrowlights.com/products/flower-bar-light?variant=21718746695

Plus an 85 watt 5000K and sometimes a 105 watt 2700K CFL and shop light for added heat
https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/400-watt-equal-compact-fluorescents-5000K/

10 Likes

My soil mix supplies are shown in pic.

I mix Jobe’s and the, “Natural Organic”, half and half and add approx. 1/3 perlite, plus bonemeal, organic tomato fertilizer (hidden bag in pic), worm castings, etc. (all purchased at Walmart).

10 Likes

Welcome to OG, thanks for sharing your grow journal. There are lots of LED growers here. I look forward to seeing more of your grows. :+1::seedling:

2 Likes

Those osram chips are incredibly expensive! I’m not hating on blurple light. Yet i do feel the future of lighting will be a a combo of red blue white, much like chilled. It’s funny in America white is the new trend and Europe it’s blurple. From what i understand they’re a lot further ahead of us in grow tech. So we’ll prob see a switch again in the near future. My next light will def be a diy with parts sourced directly from china. Yet if i was to buy a pre made it def be maxsisun or hlg, depending on budget.

Hi Skiball,

My first blurple was a, “Kind”, flower bar and even though I had all my spectrums with white light from 6500K to 2700K and with blurple noticed immediately more bushy growth compared to just white light.

Many large scale growers that use white light still add a row or two of blurples.

For DIY here in U.S. I would go with, “Timber”, or “Rapid Led”.

The latest in technology now though are QB (quantum boards).

My next light will likely be something like this one:

I would avoid China myself but maybe better service from Europe? If one has a problem with a China light then very little real customer service coming out of China. Many horror stories about fires, false claims of wattage and coverage, and even reports of counterfeit parts or substitution of advertised parts for China generic parts.

Everyone I know that has bought a China Led has had part (or all) go out in less than a year. My biggest concern would be fires though.

Many Amazon horror stories on China blurples just set search for lowest ratings on popular China blurples and start reading. Funny how many of the positive reviews on China blurples are in the same broken English (wonder why?).

Ya hlg is the best for pre made light forsure. I’ve never had bad luck with buying directly from china. My 1st led from china is 10 yrs old n still works. I’ve made close to 50 purchases for vape gear all positive. Also new my auto ph’er I’m extremely happy with. Only slight negative thing that’s happend in 10 yrs of buying from china was recently. Was sent wrong size pvc tee. Got a full refund and didn’t have to send back the smaller ones. You just have to be willing to do the research there’s good and bad companies everywhere.

Thanks for your post!

Now to continue on that I have status to post multiple pics:

My closet grow area is actually 2.5’ X 2.5’ and have painted walls with elastomeric paint (very high reflective rating). My height restriction for canopy is around 3 feet tall so I top twice (3 cuts) for 4 main colas.

I have two 4ft florescent shop lights in each corner along with large 9"-11" CFL’s that have mostly been added for heat. My Led do not put out enough heat for decent transpiration so need to add heat.

IMO increased transpiration is a good thing as the more moisture plant wicks off then the more uptake of water (along with nutrients) making for bigger buds. With MH or HPS much transpiration…not so much with LED’s so have to add heat.

I have a passive exhaust into attic along with nice industrial fan on a timer 24hr a day. Have timer set now for half-hour every two and three hours assorted.

Fan can be had for about $50 at Global online (see center on fan) or same fan about same price from Ace hardware.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s great you have had such good luck with China. I would be one of those that didn’t have such good luck I suspect.

1 Like

Here are a middle too late stage sequence of pics mainly of two Maui that are Nirvana fem seeds bought from, “Seedsman”, and were vegged 30 days at 24hr light and placed in 12/12 on 4/19 and harvested on 6/15 at 58 days with approx. 10% amber trichs. Also, shown in first pics is AK-48 in background when small (now at 7 weeks close to harvest).

14 Likes

More Maui/AK48 sequence:

Last pic of AK-48 some weeks back.

17 Likes

Two Maui wrap up.

Very happy with both the lights and the strain. Buds are very tight/dense and have a pleasant hashy taste and puffs even expand in lungs (haven’t seen that in awhile). Has very cerebral/heady up buzz initially but soon fades to relaxation. Great for pain even as a Sativa dom.

In late 90’s I grew this from regular seeds and went 12-14 weeks so was surprised this finished in 8 weeks and seemed to amber early which may be due to my seeds being fem seeds. Looking forward to getting some regular seeds and also have seeds I already crossed from a White Widow and a White Widow + a mystery seed either blue moon or bubblicious.

Anyway, very happy with Maui as back in the day on Overgrow Maui was ranked third most potent (many ranked it top) and was considered the best at not causing resistance so an evening buzz is as good as that morning buzz.

14 Likes

Now, let’s go back and pick up my current Maui sequence (placed in 12/12 on 6/6) and an AK-48 (placed in 12/12 on 5/8 putting the AK at day 50).

Also, a smaller AK shown placed in 12/12 on 6/17 that I am deeming a runt. It was a clone from current larger AK-48 (which I think was an auto?!?! although pack just had AK-48 and was a freebie) as stretched like crazy causing bad calcium deficiency during the stretch (see pics).

Three reasons I think it was an Auto is because extreme stretch; clone began to flower (and was in constant 24hr light), and clone has had virtually no stretch…thus making it a runt. Just tossed another AK-48 clone this morning that was still in veg cabinet…not going to waste much time on runts but will keep the one in 12/12 for awhile and either chop it for butter or let it go all the way.

I have seeds I already harvested from the AK (it’s at 7 weeks) from two separate stalks one White Widow and one WW + blue moon or bubblicious so looking forward to planting those at some point.

The AK-48 is made up from: Colombian, Mexican, Thai, and Afgahn which are strains I have enjoyed much in my past.

Grew up smoking Mexican swag and brown and gold Colombian (man the taste of that Colombian). Best pot I ever smoked though were Thai sticks bought in Singapore in 1982 (talk about expand in the lungs) and much better than the many Thai sticks bought here in U.S. back once upon a time.

So now starting back some and bringing up to current grow of Maui and AK-48

5 Likes

Now here are 1st pics of transplanted Maui clone plus AK-48.

7 Likes

:popcorn::camera_flash::+1:Very nice I’ll be following this thread for sure

1 Like

Thank you very much Hoodini.

Well, I am now current and these are new pics from this morning. Hard to believe the Maui is only three weeks into 12/12 as it stands over 3 feet from floor. AK-48 runt is 12 days in 12/12 and no stretch and can see already gonna be small buds. Good learning experience though…“don’t take clones from an auto”! Problem was I didn’t know initially that it was an auto.

It was a freebie though and am thrilled to add AK-48 to my seed stock! The big AK is at day 51 and showing hint of amber on some sugar leaves and much cloudy all around so expecting it to finish within a week (if not 2-3 days). I like about 10% dark amber.

12 Likes

Last day of week 8 beginning of week 9 for AK-48. It has about 1-2% dark amber now with much light amber, cloudy and some clear. At rate it’s going could go another week but thinking few more days. Leaves are some of the nastiest I ever had at finish…lol. Buds much crystals though (pics don’t do justice).

Maui nearing end of 4th week and filling in nice.

8 Likes

Wowie! That Maui it’s super frosty!

2 Likes

Actually Hoodini, that’s the AK-48 frosty pics although the Maui was somewhat frosty (some pics farther back) but not like this AK-48!

9 Likes

Well, tried to wait until AK-48 finished (so I could use pot for Maui clone) but last Maui clone (about 2 months veg now) has serious root-bound issues showing up…see pics…not looking so good.

So emergency transplant took place this morning into what I think is 4 gal pot.

5 Likes