Blank slate, set up suggestions needed

I have a room that’s 7’ 6” high x 11’6” long and 7’6” wide (the door is near the corner of the 7’ side)
Looking for some input on how you guys would design the room.

I have a veg/mother room already set up that’s the same height but 6’ wide 8’ long looking to run large 102L tubs with living soil and organic adds from Gaia Green in both rooms

Looking for opinions on the most efficient room design with the most production (light suggestions, fan sizes/locations, use of techniques, etc.)

4 Likes

Top factor for me is being able to reach all the way to the back of all my plants. My arms are kind of short :laughing: so that’s a hard limit on shelf depth for me. I also measured how wide I am and that’s how wide the aisle is. Personally, I’d run plants the long way down both sides and at the end in a big U and leave an aisle just big enough to move in the middle. Not exactly creative, but I think it would maximize your growing space.

Side note, are you using literal bathtubs? Because that’s what came up for 103L containers for me :rofl: would actually be pretty good too if you ran the drains to a floor drain you could water to runoff and keep super clean :grin:

5 Likes

The biggest AC Infinity automated tent kit that will fit is what I would do if i could afford it.

3 Likes

Why would you use a tent inside the room?

1 Like

I can tell you that bathtubs are great for growing potatoes - done that!

3 Likes

I’m not sure exactly, but for my indoor room I had to put a hole in the outer house wall for ventilation, holes in the ceiling to hang lights, and I actually added a linoleum floor that laps a foot up the walls and reflective sheeting stapled onto all the walls, then had to light proof the door edges. If you want similar features with less work and less wall damage a tent is great. Also if you want to be able to use part of your space not for actual plants and to be able to enter it when it’s “night” without messing up photoperiods in flower, a tent would subdivide the space.

I’m tagging @Ace71975 so he’ll get a notification since yours wasn’t a direct reply to his comment. He may have some other good reasons. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve also done that! Jacuzzi tub actually worked very well!

1 Like

Oh if you are modding the whole room for growing I guess you wouldnt. I couldnt really do that so I just went with a tent. Plus easier to control light in a tent unless its a windowless room.

2 Likes

I agree 100% but it’s not inside my house, I should have stated that my bad.
My set up consists of a veg room on one side and this new flower room on the other side. There is a 6x8 room in the middle which I will use as a little work or storage area. There’s no running water there so I will be designing a system to catch rain water to transfer it inside so it won’t freeze in the winter and to filter it before use.

This grow is in a garage.
The intake air for both my veg and flower room will be pulled in through carbon filters from the centre room. Which will be heated slightly to avoid major temp fluctuations in the fall and winter.
Was looking at installing a small 3 in 1 ac unit in the flower room also in case temps get too high.
I will have a means of humidifying and dehumidifying both rooms also to keep things in acceptable ranges during different stages of growth.

I’m still unsure of lighting for the flower room, I was thinking about implementing both hps and LED lights.
But my veg room will consist of two 600watt hps lights. Both alternating on opposite schedules to cut down on the light bill cost.
I was thinking about using ply wood for the walls for all the rooms and using a marine paint on it in order to seal any pores and make it so that I can clean and sterilize it.

My tubs are the large red Costco storage totes. I plan on using a living organic soil mix with Gaia green adds. I may grow two plants per tub because I realize it’s a lot of tub for only one plant!
All walls of the room will be sanitized, insulated, Vapor barrier, then ply wood to cut down on any drafts or exterior causes of temperature change.
There will be a heater in each room in case temps get too low during season change or lights out.
Was also thinking about using Mylar on the plywood at plant height to reflect as much light but I’m still thinking about that also.

I’m open to anyone and everyone’s input because I like to do things like this and do it once as efficient as possible so all input is appreciated!
My apologies for the vague into post on this, any more questions or input are gladly welcomed! Thank you to all that have already replied!

2 Likes

Why hps in the veg room? I would run led for sure in there. I would also either get some good white paint for the walls or run panda plastic rather than the mylar. I would get a good environmental controller for each room and the proper equipment that works with the controller. Is it possible you can insulate your walls as that would help greatly in keeping your temps stable?

3 Likes

Mainly the reasoning behind my room being hps, (my light can also do MH for veg) I would have to just get MH bulbs for veg. I already have the fixtures to use and that I can use one light for my mothers and one light for my smaller plants to grow up before putting them in the flower room. So I can change the height of both separately if needed.

I currently have ink bird controllers and was going to get more of those to run my flower room also. I have heavy duty light timers that wire directly in to control my lights and I have spare ones to control my flower room when that’s set up.
I was going to panda plastic but I’ve found it tends to degrade and get brittle. So I may just go with the flat white marine paint for the room

2 Likes

I love the U shape idea but it won’t work in my situation because my door is near the corner, can’t get to move it either because it would limit my space in the room next to it and that’s where I have a large storage shelf planned to go for supplies

2 Likes

The room doesn’t have any windows. It’s basically 2 walls, ceiling and concrete floor which I will be insulating so that the root zone doesn’t get too cold.

2 Likes

What kind of training are you going to be using for your flower plants, your large bins and low ceiling height . What size hps are you planning on using in the flower room?

2 Likes

I may mix HPS and LED for flower, I currently have 2 unused 1000watt dimmable HPS/MH fixtures with air cooled hoods and a large BIOS LED fixture until I can afford a full switch to LED. I was thinking a Scrog set up to enable me to restrict the height of the plants.
I have a drip watering system I can incorporate into the grow if need be also.
@Mrgreenthumb

1 Like

You are going to have to keep those plants really short. Those 1000s are going to be intense, figure your container soil height is about 2 ft , I always maintained 18 inches from the 1000s, then you have fixture distance to the ceiling

2 Likes

Yes I was looking at smaller containers also, I can get the smaller totes or going with regular plastic 3 gallon pots. I could dim both of those 1000’s down to 600 though and just purchase 600watt bulbs. But im not sure if that will be enough for the size of the canopy I was looking to cover. @Mrgreenthumb

Yea, fought the exact problem you are dealing with for years tried many different hoods to try to increase footprint, in am so happy these new leds are available now, they are just so much easier to deal with when you have low ceiling height. Even tried light movers back in the day. Just not an easy problem to solve. The best thing I did was convert to smaller containers and vegged more plants for a shorter time

1 Like

That’s what I’m going to have to do until I can get to switch fully to LED! Just bite the bullet for now just have more smaller plants and keep the container size down. That was something I overlooked. Thank you very much for you input! Do you have any more suggestions for me?

1 Like

have you looked at those new octopots, they really are a great growing sytem, guys are getting impressive results and they run with little attention. I am going to give them a shot . Check out the 30 day lets roll thread .

3 Likes