Blast Off with Astro Kush from Hazeman Seeds! Condensed Grow Journal

Astro Kush
Fugu Kush x Tres Stardawg

Fugu Kush, Bubba Kush x Blowfish

Another super fire strain from Hazeman. Astro Kush packs a huge punch in a little package. I got a bunch of these a while back as freebies and just kind of put them to the side. BIG MISTAKE! My wife suggested we tried them and good thing we did. Small frame plants perfect for tent growers and a headstash quality end product with great terps if you like piney strains. To sum it up if you don’t read the whole thing, small plants, average yield, great pine smells with an evergreen taste, would definitely try again but I would plan for the truly average yield as that was really the only con to this one.

GROW DETAILS
Plants were grown in a 2x2 Mars Hydro tent with a 150w Mars Hydro LED. I use Cyco Coco 70/30 Coco Pearl Mix. I use FloraFlex Full Tilt nutrients with General Hydroponics as a CalMag supplement. Plants are grown with nighttime temps at 65 or less from seed to harvest to push out purples. The leaves picked up a purple as they flushed but it didn’t transfer much to the buds. They’re a pretty true vibrant green.

GERMINATION

All seeds are germinated with a soak in a SuperThrive and GH RapidRoot mix for roughly 4 hours and then are placed in a tupperware/paper towel and placed on top of one of the LED panels. Once they sprout they go in 6 cell starters until they hit roughly 10 days.

Germ Rate, 100% 8/8, 6 within 24hrs

VEG
**Unfortunately I bought an iphone 15 during this run and somehow all my prior canna photos were lost which included the veg and early flower photos from this run so none of those to share.

After they finish in the 6 cells they’re transplanted to 4" FloreFlex pots for approximately 20 days. At that point, they are transplanted to 6" FloraFlex pots for another 10 days before 12/12 starts. Light cycles during the 20 days are 23/1 and during the 10 days 18/6.

Expect short bushy plants, I would recommend topping to increase the number of bud sites on the plant. It’s not a slow grower so a normal veg time was fine for me but i would top and extra time if i run it again to end up with more fatty colas which is what this strain wants to produce. Definitely not a good strain for SCROG but great for SOG

FLOWERING
The stretch on these plants is pretty much non existent. They’ll bush up a bit but the vertical growth pretty much stops once you switch to 12/12. The flowering time is average with one finishing at 63 days of 12/12 and one at 70. Its a great option for tent growers with low head room. Expect dense colas with stinky pine nugs through flowering. It’s a very nice true traditional weed smell. Responded well to average feed schedule was able to support its weight all the way through flowering without any trellising or staking so very low maintenance plant. Plants flushed naturally and the ripening process was quick and the hairs changed over pretty completely making it easy to tell when this one is finished.

HARVEST/YIELD
I’d expect a flowering time of 63-70 days from the start of 12/12.

Yield wise, this one is completely average. If average yield in this box is 1 unit this came in at .95 so more or less right at the mark. Definitely not a cash croppers strain but the quality of the smoke makes up for it. Also has some great bag appeal.

EFFECT
HEAVY INDICA! Be warned this one packs a serious knockout punch. It’s a very relaxing dreamy high and it really sneaks up on you. I’m an all day smoker and when i smoke a bit at night im out for a solid nappetizer before bed. Strong couch lock but its very enjoyable. My friend/tester left my place forgetting which door he came in through and couple of his belongings as well and he’s no light weight. :rofl: :rofl:

TASTES/SMELLS
Smells are strong astringent pine and smells are evergreen like you’re smoking mint chewing gum. That was universal on both plants and it’s very tasty in my opinion. These characteristics and the overall bag appeal totally made up for the average yield. I’m usually pretty willing to share some nugs but this ones good enough that i set a jar to the side for friends and the rest is tucked away safely in the headstash box

PHENO DIFFERENCES
The plants were more or less the same. The 63 day plant was a little smaller in stature but the yield was the exact same more or less and the smells tastes were the same as well. If i grew it again i would just select for short bushy plants and cull anything long or stretchy. Pretty sure you’d end up with a pretty consistent result if you just select for short plants.

i selected from 8 of these and there were 2 taller ones but the other 6 were short and stalky.

POSITIVES
Great tent grower strain if you like strong indicas. If you can grow bigger plants you definitely have better options but again for especially beginner growers that want an easy tent grow with a low chance for complications i would highly recommend.

NEGATIVES
Completely average yield. if fat numbers are important to you, id avoid this one.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS
I liked this one enough that I bought the similar Comet Kush and have that slated for next run. It’s definitely on my list to try again and i would recommend it to beginner tent growers looking for a good entry level indica. Especially at $60 a pack its a pretty budget friendly option with a solid result if you’re just getting into things. This strain has really raised my interest in trying more Stardawg varieties.

Up Next from Naptown
Grimm Mints, Tester from Brothers Grimm
Northern Diesel, Hazeman
Tricycle, @Budderton

16 Likes

this space is reserved for photos

SOME BEAUTY SHOTS

WEEK 3

WEEK 6

WEEK 8

PLANT 1 HARVEST DAY 63

PLANT 2 HARVEST DAY 70

Thanks for looking! Hope you enjoyed! :v:

24 Likes

I certainly did! Another great condensed grow log @Naptown916 ! You always manage to get the best from your plants every time!
:grin::v:

1 Like

Thanks this was a fun one. Your tricycle look awesome very much looking forward to posting those.

1 Like

I like good smoke much more than good yield. This sounds like a strain worth growing! :fire:

2 Likes

Most definitely is! Thanks for checking it out

Very nice! Always loved the fugu ! I just love anything with blowfish tbch. Excellent work :facepunch:t2:

1 Like

Thanks it was a new strain to me wasn’t familiar with the fugu at all but definitely considering other hazeman strains not I was just breezing right over before. You ever done the straight up fugu kush?

1 Like

Yezzir, that was a favourite for sure! Another of his I loved was the Chem madness I think it was called and his pure Kush stuff was great too. I heard he did a kimbo Kush repro I’ve been trying to find for a couple years too.

1 Like

Yeah I tried the pure kush too still have one nug left in a jar that was very good.

1 Like

Nice! I’m envious, I’d grow those again for sure.

1 Like