MidwestMover’s Madness

I went to grocery stores and fast food places asking. I wish I could find some bigger ones for free!

1 Like

Another male. I found another one again last night. It’s the last male to show so I’m keeping it. Sorry for crappy pics all are from selfie mode.

Does anyone have any insights on picking males?

8 Likes

Cool thread man … great looking plants… a few things I look at when considering a male is 1st the structure… how he branches and how tall or lanky he grows. 2nd is the smell he starts putting off… males tend to smell a bit more that females while vegging … not always bit a lot of the times. Guys also tent to cull the early flowering males and choose off the ones that take longer to show. I watched a video where Mean Gene says he starts flowering his males then flips them back to veg to get a gauge of what trichome potential the male may have. I also find some males just stand out from the jump and they generally get kept back 1st

9 Likes

I’ve been going by structure and time to start flowering. Sort of figuring it out on my own. I like the idea of going back to reveg to watch the grow progress. That’s what I needed. I was trying to grow them out and watch them but they flower too fast… this will help. Thx.

5 Likes

Yeah structure is the 1st thing to look for… I avoid the slimmer stretchier boys generally

8 Likes

Thanks for the love man! This is the last male out of the pack he sent me as a tester. I’m still not sure if I can use this male to breed with. There were three males that showed first then these last two. I snapped his neck and put him under a small led bulb in the garage. I figured I’d stress him out at least for scientific purposes!

4 Likes

How many are you looking through? I’m scared to have a bunch of males. Idk why though, my outdoor is seeded and is fine just a pain to pick thru. He’s not the tallest but he’s stout.
If he sucks I’ll kill him. I have no shortage of seeds to pick from everyone here. I don’t have room for clones right now so I’m just popping seeds to find something cool then hopefully someone here has that pack and I can do open pollination for a bunch more.

I was listening to potcast with subcool and he talked about a cortige male and a narcotic male. Do you know what he means by that? Or how you pick those?

5 Likes

Yeah wouldn’t breed with it if it’s a tester as you need to see the flowering through for honest feedback …I mean you can breed with it after you submit your results if you keep all the beans to yourself and wait due course for if the strain is released or not. There are some Nepoji F2 beans floating around in a couple stables which come off a bodhi tester run of Nepali OG x Goji OG f3 that never got released. The f2s got made by one of the testers and sent to a few people to run… so ethically was ok in my books.

6 Likes

Yes it has a very heavy hashy black licorice taste also a very sedative stone honestly more than I cared for but I’m sure plenty of people would appreciate it

5 Likes

Sounds good to me : )

5 Likes

I was listening to Adam Dunn podcast and he said he made a cross with one of Bodhis testers and sold them. I just don’t want bad vibes. I’ll kill it. I wasn’t going to breed his plant just use this male on a couple of other plants I have going if that matters. And the reason is I think I have blue god x snow lotus from growhard just a guess. I thought the Hindu Kush purple black colors would be cool on the blue god.

4 Likes

You could keep that male running under 18 hours and hope he doesn’t decide to dump his load lol. Keep him in a small pot and just keep him squat a few months I have had males running a year or 2 … right now have a year old Field Trip male and Sunshine Daydream and still have a Stardawg F2 from 2 years back …

7 Likes

Black licorice bubble hash was my idea for it. I think that sounds delicious.
It seems pretty easy to grow so far and even faster now that they’re inside.

1 Like

I think I’ll kill it. My growing space isn’t that big to keep things around. Usually if I get something cool I’ll give it to my buddy cause he’s got the space.
SSDD male and stardawg have to make some killer crosses.

I popped my whole pack of SSDD almost all the plants smell amazing. They still have a few more weeks outside.

1 Like

Here’s the male. He’s growing back up so that has to be a good sign. I may collect some pollen from him just to see.

8 Likes

Yeah I haven’t grown it or seen it grown but it’s definitely made its way around the area a couple times it’s definitely got bag appeal dense nuggets just not my cup of tea

2 Likes

I wasn’t too lucky on my sunshine daydream pack. Got 9 males out and only 2 females to choose from. Grew one the greenhouse which is the one I kept and the other outside which didn’t turn out all that well… no real smell or flavour. Anyway not the best ratio of m to f but it did offer me a chance to choose from 9 males and decided to keep one of them … going to use him next and looking FWD to seeing how he does.

7 Likes

Ya everyone has their preference. I have t smoked enough named weed or grown enough to make a pick of my favorite so far. I do like blueberry flavors and my neighbor gave me some sour diesel which is very nice to smoke being it’s just hung dry.

2 Likes

Mine were from the f2 preservation run. I had almost 30. First run none germed then I popped 13 more and they all came up. Their not huge buds but my backyard smells like blueberries every time I step outside. And their damn glue traps also.

That’s a big male selection. Do you think just one gives you enough variance. I’m sure you’ve been at this for awhile so it’s a little easier to pick plants.

4 Likes

I’ve gotten all males in my SSDD f2 pack, too. I only popped 3-4 I think. I have another small pack of f2s that were a mistake from a friend and I got the sour butter pheno in 3 plants. So, I’m waiting to work those.

I got one cross from my one male SSDD I kept. I chopped it right away but one plant got hit and I’m glad. It’s a Humboldt Kush x Sugar Punch and I only found 12 seeds from two plants… just right!

I had about 10 males that I was trying to monitor. Some were just singles from what I happen to be running so I wanted to make some easy f2s. But, they went off fast, all of them… I like the idea of getting them to reveg once you determine how early or late they flower. That way I could accomplish what I intended. I just want to see them in the late veg stages, for resin, smells, and structure.

3 Likes