Bokashi Composting & Organic Soil - I have questions

I’m a coco/salts grower that has recently become more and more interested in growing organically using soil and compost. I’ve been reading “Teaming with Microbes” and recently read a book about bokashi composting and it blew my mind. I thought that the idea of making your own compost to add to your soil sounds incredible. I’ve got some bran fermenting at the moment and I’m currently planning my outdoor grow for the upcoming season and I wanted to run by a few ideas with the community. My plan is to add some amendments to a locally sourced organic soil blend, mixing in my pre fermented bokashi food waste and letting it cook before transplanting.

I have some used soil from last season that I wanted to try this with and was wondering if anyone has ever grown using bokashi compost?

My plan was to mix my amendments and add 3-4 table spoons per gallon of soil to make a ‘Super Soil’, filling my pots half way with this mix then topping the pots with the unamended soil. Has anyone ever grown using a tiered style like this and if so can you offer any advice?

Thanks all!

5 Likes

So I use bokashi…I buy mine from Saalome Dojah @The Green Daliance Farms.
I use bokashied materiels in my outdoor garden soil mixes, but do not care for the smell…so not indoors…preference.
But what I do for indoors is incorporate a little into the soil and as a topdress after the third node…it is said to be probiotic as well.

4 Likes

@Catchin1 I think you may be confusing bokashi compost with the soil amendment product called “Bokashi Grow Pro”. The bokashi I am referring to is the Japanese process of using essential microbes to anaerobically ferment your food waste. If I’m wrong then I apologize…

5 Likes

I am not confused…I use bokashi…the EM infused bran.
Read up on them…been using it for years.
Yes, you can sprinkle it on organic waste to make it useful for soil amendments, but you can use it for so much more.

5 Likes

Your already starting down the right path by reading teaming with microbes IMO , I have used both commercially available made bokashi bran and have made my own as well using EM1 as the bran inoculate very easy will save you tons of money in the end to make your own I haven’t really used it solely as an additive to any cannabis growing IIRCC but it an excellent way to turn all organic waste that comes from the kitchen that can be used as an additive later on into your soils hope I answered your questions appropriately

7 Likes

Wow $45/1.5kg Bag ? Had to look it up same stuff as the brand name bokashi with a hand full of what ? Rock dust? You can buy 1 quart of EM -1 and a 40lb bag if wheat bran for less then that! You could also use rice hulls as a media as well but probably a bit more think I paid less then 15$ for wheat bran at coop store that’s sells bags that size!

3 Likes

You might find this video of interest

4 Likes

Ah yes of course… sorry about that. What is your experience using the fermented food waste in soil? Can you offer any advice or share any wins or fails? Thanks :pray:t3:

2 Likes

IIRCC?? Sorry I’m not sure what that stands for.

1 Like

If I recall correctly.

2 Likes

I thought that’s what you meant but I believe it’s IIRC.

Either way, have you ever added prefermented food waste to your potting soil to grow cannabis? If so what was your experience with it?

2 Likes

I haven’t but give it a try! It’s all about learning the more we learn the more powerful we become by stepping outside the box to try something new as growers all I know after it’s buried in normal soil it breaks down really fast even bones for that matter , chicken , beef, fish, can be used you may just enspire me to order some more EM1 also! It’s better than what is about 40% weight of waste that gets diverted to the land fill use it to your advantage and make the best soil in your beds and pots!

4 Likes

Only positive results my friend when we can start turning around soils to their former glory It will be a win for all.

4 Likes

If you going to start growing organics there are a few good videos on future cannabis with Brandon rust ect that will help alot.

2 Likes

Ok sweet! I’ve had my eye on that channel and bookmarked a few of their videos but have yet to watch anything. I’ll give it a shot. I’ve listened to Brandon Rust on a few podcasts and follow his exploits on IG. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mainly I was just trying to see if there were any growers out there who could share their experiences with using the fermented food waste in their potting soil. If anyone reading this has tried this before I would love to hear from you.

1 Like

Just re-reading this

When you say you incorporate it into the soil and as a top dress do you meant the bokashi bran or the prefermented food waste?

1 Like

I use the bokashi bran itself…I find the smell of bokashied food waste very offensive…lol…and I walk through horseshit all day…so I only use the bokashied food waste for my outdoor stuff.
Yes I incorporate it into the soil at least a month prior to using keeping the soil wet and covered…then break up the mass and spread it out…you can also make teas etc… With the bokashi juice from the bucket if you put a spout in or buy a bokashi bucket…good shit…never get any on you!

When my seedlings are over three nodes, I topdress a little bokashi staying AWAY from the stalk…it will begin to work right away in your organic enviroment.
When I transplant I use a root innoculant and I will incorporate bokashi into the soil. By the time a good root ball is established it will not eat the roots as it could to a younger seedling which is why at that stage we just topdress.

2 Likes

Amazing info, thanks for this!!

1 Like

R these YouTube vids? What would be easier finding Brandon rust or future cannabis? Have a link?

1 Like

Yea they are YouTube. Easier finding him on future cannabis project. He does a lot with them.

1 Like