Borderliner xtrm LED Grow

I’ve found little info on this strain anywhere, so I thought I’d do a Grow Diary on this “Amazonian land race” crossed with ???. It could be named “Fence Sitter” by it’s effects…couch lock or focused & energetic, all depends on your mood at the moment. I’d also like to do a comparison to my last grow with 600 W HPS vs LED this grow.
Grow Room: 4’x4’‘x7’’ “Galaxy” grow tent
Lighting: Lush Dominator 2X LED (1K HID equivalent?)
Fert-I-Lome Ultimate Potting Soil mix in 5 gal. Dirt-Pots
Nutrients: GH Flora Micro & Bloom
Ventilation: 6", 400 cfm axial fan 24/7

Day 7 flower under 300K T5’s

Pre-LED ventilation

Week 1 after flip

New LED Setup

I have few pics of the 1st grow…so I’ll have to use plant heights from my grow log for comparison.

15 Likes

I love how those fabric pots look like galvanized pails lol.

“Amazonian landrace” huh? Made Tera Preta come to mind.

2 Likes

Sorry, I jokingly called it an Amazonian Landrace. From the breeder/seedbank: “The family of the Borderliner strain is unknown, although Borderliner XTRM is most likely a member of the Brazilian Amazonian family” and " very little is known about its origins – we know it comes from the Amazon region of Brazil, but there is no information about its lineage". It’s taste reminds me of some fine Colombian I had 40 yrs. ago, only smoother. :yum:

4 Likes

The Good, My Bad & the Ugly…
After 7 days under the LED the stretch in on, big time! All the girls have doubled their height. 16" -> 32". This is typical of this strain. Last grow, biggest girl finished at 44" high.

I bought a new pH meter & soil test kit. I forgot to use distilled H2O in testing. Re-testing showed soil pH at 6.6, and surplus N-P-K.

The Ugly… I’m guessing they have nutrient lock rather than over fertilization. They need a good flush, but should I use straight 6.0 H2O or a clearing agent? I’ve got some Flawless Finish on the shelf. Pictures to follow (can’t resize them).

Day 14 Flowering

Nutrient lockout, overfeeding or pH to high?

Flushing them in the morning.

2 Likes

are you sure they have a lockout? if you have excess NPK you could just water with plain water and let the plants clear out the food in there but if it’s locked out maybe flush and then feed a light nutrient solution

it’s hard to tell from your pictures if anythings wrong because of the lighting but i don’t really see anything alarming

2 Likes

Natural light photos will help, those blurple LEDs usually make my plants appear yellow to the naked eye. I agree with @legalcanada, just water with plain water next time.

1 Like

Smoking on some borderline extreme today that was grown with general hydro, lmao. Small world. I’m not sure where my friend gets his genetics from, tho.

My guess would be on overfeeding, plain water might do the trick

1 Like

Thanks @legalcanada, @Worcestershire_Farms & @ReikoX for the advice, which I took. I gave the girls a heavy watering on 12/10 (3 ltr each at pH 6.2). I’m trying to get the soil pH to 6.3. Today, the petioles are turning lavender colored. I’ll post white light pics tomorrow. I had my led shades on last time. I’m using the same feeding schedule & tds/ec as the first grow except I changed from AN Sensi Bloom to GH Micro & Bloom at the flip. I wanted to simplify and found the whole AN line is P deficient and K excessive.

Sauce Guy… I’d like your opinion of the Borderliner. As far as seeds go, 3 seed banks carry it. But when you “add to cart” you’re re-directed to AMS.

They seem to be recovering slowly. I’m having trouble getting rid of the blurple effect even with the leds at 1/2 power & a 500 W halogen work light flooding the tent.

Lowest fan leaves from the “Mutant” pheno showing deficiencies. This pheno has even numbered lobes up to 10. I saw 4 variations in this strain last grow. The “Amazon” pun intended, the “Midget”, the “Mutant” and those that match the genetic description. The first grow was problem free. I’m unsure what’s going on this time.

This is the Amazon pheno. She grew 29" since the flip (19 days). She’ll be >45" at harvest with purple streaks in the top leaves.

Her dying leaf is typical of all my plants. I’ll prune and stake them all tomorrow. The short, bushy pheno will match the others yields.

4 Likes

Looks like a big harvest is on the way. Looking ahead to your finish!

I’m a newb, so my first grow of Borderliner, I didn’t do anything to improve yields. Just watched how they grew. I FIM’d 3 of these and i missed on 2 :disappointed:. I’m hoping to get @ 4 oz (including sugar leaves) per plant this time. 65 day flowering time is average.

1 Like

How large are the containers they are in.

Generally, an ounce per gallon of organic soil is a good benchmark.

They’re in 5 gal. “Dirt Pots” now. The media is Fert-i-Lome Ultimate potting soil mix with 15% Grow Stone 2 added instead of perlite. GS2 doesn’t float to the top. I like that benchmark, since patients in Michigan cannot sell their excess (>2.5 oz) to a dispensary. But Michigan’s MJ laws are a thread all it’s own.

As long as you can maintain good health, this should be a reasonable goal.

Also interested in the timing of your re-potting (if at all). I am finding that the last transplant, around 2 weeks after flip, results in nearly no dead or dying leaves, top to bottom. You?

Hadn’t noticed, were these begun a clones or from seed?

Both grows were from seeds. 100% germination both grows. Soaked, paper toweling and into 20 oz solo cups for veg. under 6500K T5’s. I transplanted into the 5 gal. dirt pots 21 days after sprouting. 5 wk. veg (cuz I fim’d em). Problems (P deficiency & high pH) appeared on day 43, a week after the flip. I’ve read/seen folks transplant 2-3 times before the final container with good results, but Murphy’s Law follows me like a shadow. As I learn more here at OG, I’ll try that with 1/2 a grow and compare results.

1 Like

One week later and the girls are doing much better now. I think I’ve discovered why the plants were having problems. More on that later. Anyway, I snapped a pic of the Amazon & the Munchkin today. Day 28 into flowering.

Munchkin is 29" & Amazon is 46" tall.

pH & TDS readings were erratic. I found the liquid nutrients were settling back to the bottom of the 5 gal.bucket, even after a 2 minute stir. I feed the plants slowly, filling the watering can from milk jugs. 1 qt each, smoke a bowl, and feed them again. I wasn’t shaking the jug in between. I suspect the first plant was fed a weak solution, the 4th plant got a concentrated dose, and the cycle repeats with the 2nd jug. Any thoughts?

Happy Holidays to all.

3 Likes

You should water very quicly every Time. As the water goes quicly down through the roots it sucks a big amount of oxygen in for the roots which is what you want :slight_smile: water them couple of Times as you do but with big amount of water. Some old salts will flush a bit and you get There the oxygen! :muscle: looking good. Next Time you should top the plants. Its not ideal to Have such big diference in hight. The smaler plant wont get so much Light as the taller one (in PAR). Sou you should get the smaler one higher (on some bucket) you also need to trim you bottom. Remove leaves and buds so the plants concentrate on the tops where is more Light. Also better air circulation and less bugs. Try to get some net and Bend them so you have even leveled canopy :slight_smile: keep growing! :muscle:

1 Like

Thanks for the input @Fisch. My first 2 grows, I watered as you suggest. Then I read a “How to water properly” thread on another forum. The author talked about oxygenation, building root mass and fluid dynamics in great detail. It was very compelling, so I cut/pasted my own 4 page copy and tried it. PM if anyone wants a copy, too complicated for me to explain. The small plant sits on a box in the tent. I took them out for pics without the Blurple effect. I fim’d the other three plants (a first for me) and removed everything below the 4th node on all plants. I’m new at this and reluctant to defoliate too much. Thanks @LED_Seedz for your advice. I will be more adventurous with each grow as I learn… always learning something new. I’ll post pics once a week, unless I screw something up.

3 Likes