Two nights ago I identified botrytis on the top cola of one of my plants. I lopped it off and ran it down my disposal. For those of you that have encountered this what have you done. I am at day 58 of flower, the majority of my plants look near to done, with the exception of one that has a fair amount of white pistils and went 74 days last time around.
Shitty deals, man. The reality of it is, is you’ll probably have to chop it all down. If the botrytis is in one bud, it can very well be in all. You will hate yourself if you wait to chop and then see budrot inside all of your hard earned buds.
Someone else will chime in for sure…but keep an eagle eye on them…24 hours of spreading bud rot can do major, major damage to your harvest.
I advise you to harvest now. The logical thing is that it gets worse.
It’s a shame to see your efforts end like this.
Are the other plants the same strain? I have had one plant devastated by mold while the others were untouched, but they weren’t the same mold-magnet strain - and that was outdoors.
The strain that I had the mold on was the only of that strain in my tent.
That’s kind if what I have been thinking, the plants are all close to harvest with the exception of one that really would benefit from two more weeks.
You’ll definitely have to keep a sharp eye out. Did the Botrytis make spores? Once that happens, it can be a mold fest in short order with the proper weather. I’m from the mountains in Upstate New York, and if I got rid of every plant that showed some mold throughout the years, I wouldn’t have tried anything other than my own strain., and I would have given up on my uncle’s Afghani heirloom 25 years ago. The last couple weeks are always the worst. Plants can show great resistance up to the point where the budlets begin to touch each other, and then all of a sudden the whole inside of a bud can get ruined very quickly. I always attempt to salvage the buds before I chop them off. I entirely cut out any budlet that has gotten the mold, but I try to spare entire colas unless it’s unavoidable. When you cut the stem of a moldy Bud, check to see if it is white on the inside. This white is the" root" of the fungus. I would start by cutting right next to where it is moldy, so you can see what this looks like. Keeps nipping away at the stem until there is no longer a white center, as the mold can redevelop from this. If you show me a picture I can tell you what I would do. Botrytis sucks and it’s the reason I’ve only grown predominantly my own stuff for the last 30 years. It’s impervious to mold. Also, it depends where you have the plant too. Indoors, I would imagine the spores get trapped in the room, and it can spread like wildfire. Outdoors, like I say, I would try to salvage things unless the botrytis has gone to Spore. If you touch it, and you see dust fly off of it, and that dust lands on the rest of your plant, you will have a nasty outbreak in short time with moisture oh, and I would probably chop if it’s close enough to finished. But I myself would prefer 50% of a fully finished plant than 90% of An Unfinished plant.
I’m indoors, I did not see any spores that I could tell. The offending plant and one other have been cut. I disposed of the entire affected cola. I am planning to cut the other couple of plants soon, but was hoping to let them get a little closer to done if possible.
bud mold kicks in usually after the place is 60% humidity or more. I’ve had it happen when two buds fall on each other and get all clustered then the humidity builds up there. I keep my dehumidifier at 45% so only the craziest of buds can get rot. Sometimes, a leaf can die and start rotting from humidity and the rot spreads. If the rot is spreading, definitely cut it down - you don’t need to be smoking mold-buds. I always cut out the moldy buds and toss them in the garbage. You can make mold-bud oil, but life is too short to smoke mold.
Yeah, my approach was to toss the affected bud. I am certainly not going to smoke a bud that had mold growth on it.
Brutal…looked effin’ sweet too.
Yeah, nice frost it smells like a lime marinade with a sort of meaty funk in the background. It is Endor Score from Bodhi. It was clearly the most mold prone plant in my garden. I had two to start one ended up being male. They both developed a couple spots of PM on fan leaves during veg, which I was able to manage by removing affected leaves and doing a light misting of a H2O2 solution forba couple of days. Any ideas about which parent might play into that A11 or Wookie 15?
You should ask the bodhi plant and seed crew…not sure if you’ve popped in here yet…
I personally have only grown his DLA8 and DLA11.
What other strains are you running?
Red Headed Stranger x cookies n chem and Honey Sundae (Honeybee x Sundae Driver)
How much do I add? I’ve got the same thing going on. I hope I can find some hydrogen peroxide. I’ve been using neem oil, but the plants are not happy with the treatment, and it only seems to work for a few days.
Sorry chiefer, but I can’t hit the like button on that one LOL. What a shame. Nice bud. I don’t even see any mold on it, was it in the interior? I hate when that happens. Usually the clue is just one little league that looks like it’s dying. When you pull it out you see The fuzz, and then when you open the bud up it’s all fuzz inside.
I think I went for about 1% solutions. Two parts water, one part 3% peroxide.
For PM I break out safers defender garden fungicide concentrate. Mix with water and spray on in veg twice you can kiss the PM goodbye it’ll be extinct. Never spray in bloom. Powdery mildew is a parasite that grows on the surface of the plant, so once you crystallize the sulfur on the plant the mildew is toast. Sulfur is deadly to fungus. The powdery mildew is host specific, so it likely came in on infected plant material - eg. Clones.