Breeders Secrets and Tips!

Lots of people are attempting to cross/breed the cannabis plant. I read questions all the time on everything breeding related.
So what’s your secrete, or tip? Hollow stems? Frosty males?
Mine would be to breed a true Afghan to airy buds for weight.
What’s up your sleeve?

29 Likes

Pay atention on the roots , is the most important to me and my secret.
Isolate some characteristcs in the same sense of male and female like resin , resistence of adversities to stabilish more fast the regularity of the phenos.

10 Likes

The only item I have noted with hollow stems is… if you are going to do LST you need to do it early. They seem to get ‘woody’ a little quicker than regular but arguably, my sample size is low… :grin:
Males are the wild card, looks and structure is all I can do.

Cheers
G

17 Likes

I personally always look for true resin male’s to breed with…always makes much better seeds in my experience! Dave @AK Bean Brains is all about his resin male’s…and for good reason!

Also, when using males for breeding(instead of collected pollen) I will put the females into flower a few weeks before the males and let’s them get a little head start.(male’s are usually faster)Will produce more seeds from smaller plants if pollinated a little later…

Alaskagrown

28 Likes

Tell us more about these resin males!
How do they present?

Cheers
G

7 Likes

I’m interested too

5 Likes

The resin male’s can present themselves in any seed line…just need to run enough numbers to find em! Lol

Let the male’s become fully mature…after they’ve dumped most all his pollen, then keep flowering longer…a true resin male will start pumping out resin as this point! After you’ve selected your keeper male/s reveg him for future use…

Males reveg much easier than females as well!

One of Dave’s (AK Bean Brains)Skunk Qabbage resin male’s tests over 15% THC…that’s basically a smokable male!! :exploding_head:

Alaskagrown

39 Likes

Perfect timing for that info!
My OG males should be dropping today, I will keep them around and check for that trait.

Thanx & Cheers
G

12 Likes

Tip for LST or supercropping with hollow or woody stems(really I do it on all plants now after breaking enough branches) is to roll the branch back and forth between your fingers gently to break the cell walls and soften the stem wherever you want it to bend before actually bending it. It’ll stop the branch from breaking. As far as breeding it really depends on what the goal for that cross is. Look for traits that you want to carry over. If you can find both a female and male with those traits the likelihood of it coming thru in the resulting cross is much higher. But some strains just have stronger genetics and those will shine thru over whatever you breed it with. A lot of trial, error and testing goes into good breeding and there’s no substituting that

8 Likes

Adding Copper will make branches flexible enough to tie in a knot.

4 Likes

Trich/Resin production from a male and short internodes…that’s my way of picking a breeder male…

11 Likes

Roots, roots, roots! I’m the same way, I can’t STRESS (pun intended) the importance of roots for choosing plants, stress recovery, plant development, Nutrient uptake, everything!

10 Likes

When people tell me that they never got high off male plants. I did. Not all of them. They get all sticky and sugary. I actually thought they all did that some what. Interesting

3 Likes

I find this thread Informative and blends right in to
my beginners grow log tip’s / tricks / points… :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

I don’t have any secrets need to make seeds I spray a female with 240ppm CS spray usually works for me,have my own style of growing I don’t go by the books
Only make female seeds,it’s very rare I grow regular seeds anymore

Durban poison female I sprayed with CS she’s selfing herself photo plant
Jorge’s diamonds/Durban poison I hate with some Durban poison pollen

19 Likes

This is a real gem of a tip right here, I’ve never heard this before.

4 Likes

You are correct, a good majority of male’s will do this to some extent…most folks usually don’t look for if at the end of a male’s life cycle…they just wait to dump pollen, collect and bin the plant! I’ll let it keep going past maturity and watch the magic happen.

There are a select few in the gene pool that will do this! Unless you’re Dave from AKBB and his Skunk Qabbage…almost every male is covered in trichomes! :astonished:

Happy resin male hunting OG!!

Alaskagrown

15 Likes

Realistically do male plants need much light to stay in veg until there needed for pollen.

1 Like

All plants need lights and nutrition. When I do makes I don’t cut back on anything. Feeding yes. Because you don’t need the numbers on the back end.

2 Likes

I don’t think “resin males” i.e. choosing males with female traits is the right path.

Pick a vigorous, strong male(s) from a line that consistently produces excellent females.

Females is how you’ll judge the line, so you want males from lines that will produce them.

Other than that, it’s guessing. Using males from more inbred males is recommended since you can assume they’ll be more consistent in their traits.

19 Likes