Breeding Auto Feminized Seeds

Hello, I’m fairly new into the breeding subject and I’m studying a lot about this topic recently.
I’m a organic brazilian grower and I have quite a small place for breeding. I would like to share my future plans with you guys and see if I can get some insight.

So… I’m planning on using STS to make the reversal.
This is my plan:
I have 2 favorite autos strains and I would like to make 2 things:

Step 1: make the reversal on auto feminized strain 1
Step 2: polinize auto feminized strain 1 (the same strain, but not the same plant)
Step 3:polinize auto feminized strain 2 (making some hybrids)

Question 1:About the hybrid, the result will be 50% hybrid, 25% strain 1, 25% strain 2 ?
Question 2: About the same strain polinized one, I know they cant be exaclty the same, but the seeds will be geneclty close to the mother ?
Question 3:Can I make the hybrid one a new strain with only feminized seeds? What would this process loke like ?

10 Likes

Welcome to Overgrow @space I would chime in here but I don’t honestly know much about using STS… but rest assured someone will be buzzing in soon with all the info you need

3 Likes

Hello

Answers :
Question 1 : it will depend principally on 2 factors :

• from a seed to other seed, the influence of the mother and the father will change. The only thing you can do is stabilize the characteristics you prefer backcrossing theplant you select
  • some plants (even in the same strain) are more influent in the crosses than others. And their influence depend in the case if the strain is mother or father, and with who, in the cross. For exemple for two plants A and B, the crosses A x B and B x A will not give you the same result.

Question 2 : the answer is normally yes, normally the closest. But a lot of time it’s no. Polinating a plant with herself is making a “S1”. But it don’t function always. For exemple : Triangle kush S1, Cheese S1 are garbage or hermies : I tried 2 times with each.

Question 3 : the STS technique make feminized seeds only

All the best Brazilian Bro :wink:

12 Likes

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome !

4 Likes

Hm… thats a lot to process and a lot of new things to study hahaha ! Thanks a lot bro !
So, I’ll be testing to see what will happen to them.
I think is one of my goals to breed and have good seeds.

2 Likes

Lots of seed makers around here from pollen chuckers to pros

7 Likes

Hi bro
Have fun it’s all a learning experience
I’ll tag along for the show
Peace

2 Likes

woah ! thanks for the nice comments guys !

1 Like

you will see that making and growing your own crosses is even more fun than growing seeds from breeders

this is my STS experience

13 Likes

It looks like more fun hahaha, and what are your thoughts on STS? Any bad experience ?

I’m thinking about regular auto seeds to breed, but it is hard to find regular, especially on my country.
I’m very excited to grow my own crosses hahaha
I’m looking into crossing my 2 favorites autos:
Purple kush auto from dutch passion and LSD auto from barney

3 Likes

Welcome!
I’ve never tried STS, but it looks a lot easier and less time consuming that colloidal silver.

4 Likes

it’s my first experience with STS and if you do right the things it’s easy

I don’t know what to answer you because some people prefer STS and some people prefer colloidal silver

I prefer STS for it’s simplicity but I’m a newbie comparing with other growers here

Maybe use the tool “search” to find some threads about STS and ask your question to people who know more than me

All the best

3 Likes

Welcome.

See breed with auto plants it’s a little tricky and if do properly takes quite a lot to develop a new strain first you should have a regular auto strain with some desirable traits (size, resin,buds, leaflets etc) once achieve that through the STS you can lock up does traits and make them stable on the off spring ,
But for that you must work on a strain first

Other side is if you just want to make seeds for your joy, then,go ahead and chucking everything you can, between feminized autos, autos with photoperiodic plants. Ruderal landraces etc…eventually you’ll get what you are looking for.

3 Likes

Welcome to overgrow. Check out my Auto Projects thread. I have lots of info on breeding autos along with examples using CS.

11 Likes

nice to know that function ! first time using a forum ahahah

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the knowledge first ! This looks like a very good advice.

1 Like

Thanks a lot ! I’ll ready everything about your auto project. Thanks for letting me know man. :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:
people here are the nicest I ever found on internet

3 Likes

Hey man, sorry to bother you, but i have one more question, because the science of this doesnt make sense a lot for me
So, If I cross 2 auto feminized seeds, plant their seeds and cross the seeds again ? What will happen ? For how long can I make this ? Can I make a viable, stabilized seed this way?

3 Likes

This is called line breeding. It can work pretty well, but there is a tendency to lose vigor the more you inbreed them.

3 Likes

Is it the case that they loose vigor in all cases, even in the event of highly selective breeding (I.e. Only reproducing/working progeny that improve upon the parents?) My suspicion is that vigor decline comes from the bottle neck caused by small seed packets and partial packets.