bT products - know any without a fishy emulsion?

I just opened a bottle of SouthernAg brand bT & am unhappy to report that it is not what I expected – mixed with what seems like fish emulsion, I presume to keep them alive in storage.

The Monterey or Safer brands I’ve used in the past also had this & I call it a problem because I want to use it up to harvest. No way am I spraying that funk on my buds :unamused: better to just lose 1/3 of a crop to caterpillars & budrot than to cover the entire crop in fish shit & funk.

Nasty. (smh) Can’t believe people put that on their buds :man_facepalming:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

FWIW I looked up some other BT products, specifically Javelin WG,and did a search to see if it smells… sure enough Google pulled up an MSDS for Javelin and it says it has a “fishmeal odor”

1 Like

Not that it matters, but apparently the purpose of the fish meal is to propagate the bacillus. I found one post online that mentioned that soybean meal is also used for the same purpose, but I had zero luck finding any available BT preparations that said they use soy. Admittedly I didn’t bother using the search term “vegan”

1 Like

Last year I sprayed Bt in the first few weeks of flower and it knocked the caterpillar back significantly and I didn’t notice the funk at harvest but I was definitely concerned as well.

I did two applications within a week then a few days after the second application, I sprayed with water to try and rinse that funk off.

Again this was early flower so the buds were not dense but they were big enough that caterpillars were showing up, but not big enough I was too worried about mould from the water spray (which I did in the am on a sunny day).

I agree the spray was nasty but so are rotted buds full of caterpillar shit!

I think this year I will keep it in the IPM and try to prevent them from getting a hold at all if I can. It was pretty amazing to see those things dropping like flys though!

1 Like