Buddertons P1 Afghani mission

This is the story and rationale behind the LA Affie S1 #9 x Afghani Hash Plant cross I did last winter.
My goal was to get off to a good start at beginning the process of working thru male to female filial generations, to get to a sexual stable, uniform P1 of my idealized Afghan genotype. This P1 could then be used to make true F1 hybrids with other P1s or IBLs. Also useful in taming polyhybrids offspring.
I loved DnAs LA Con when it first came out and found a nice male (they were regs when they were first released) that made some real nice ones. LA Con was the child of the long held cut called LA Affie, a supposed pure Afghan that ruled the LA area, before the days of cookies and kush. As these newer strains came to prominence, the tight grip on the cut was loosened and it was let out to a few to work with.
I chose to start with LA Affie S1s that I bought from Cali Connection ( I know, I know) because I had read old threds that confirmed he had the legit cut and I wanted to use this genotype as the foundation for this project.
13 S1s were grown out over two cycles and narrowed down to 2 phenotypes that fit my ideal of a short, chunky, fat leafed Afghan that showed no inter sex traits.
Now to find a suitable male to reintroduce a male chromosome into the picture to make regular seeds.
I grew out a pack of Afghni #1 from Sensi seeds and a pack of Afghani Hash Plant from Barneys looking at how the females flowered and grouping the males with the females they matched structurally in veg. The Afghani #1s were not good at all. Structurally all over the map, with some phenos having an obvious sativa influence as well as “Jack Terps”. But the Barneys afghans were like clones, very uniform in structure and terp profile ( pine incense cones) as well as very similar to the LA Affie moms I picked in morphology( pine incense cones). Almost a perfect match by the eye and nose. All the AHP males were very similar and selection came down to observation and intuition. I pick two, in order to get a little diversity from the male side.
I have a feeling it will not be that much work to get these to be cookie cutter in appearance and terp profile. Also no cookies/Chem/gg4/og genes. Should do interesting things when bumped into those or a purer sativa type. A very handy tool if you’re into making seeds!
The only decent pic I have of LA Affie S1 #9, freshly pollinated.

119 Likes

So cool! Sounds like a fun project :yum:

4 Likes

Frikkin Science! You know shit, I don’t, better pay attention, I promise not to post or say a word, just watch and learn…

7 Likes

I welcome all input and feedback! We’re all in it together! :peace_symbol:

8 Likes

Indeed! We’ll see how it goes!

4 Likes

This is very interesting to me. Gonna follow along.

5 Likes

Very nice project! Love me some indica!

5 Likes

Will be following along. I have been reading other’s breeding exploits and some is starting to sink in but I have a long way to go.

4 Likes

right there with you @bunny on that quest for some good knowledge and def will be watching a well.

thnx for the show @Budderton

possible??? methinketh not good sir :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Really enjoyed this read, will be following with interest and trying to absorb some of your knowledge.

5 Likes

Thanks for your interest guys! It’s gonna be a few months before I can get to do another generation on these ones. The write up was for the benefit of the people who will be receiving this cross in Canadian Co op boxes from @DougDawson this fall.:peace_symbol::canada:

16 Likes

This sounds like an amazing project and I’ll be very excited to see the results! I have a feeling I may be attempting to barter some Afghani IBL regs off the Canadian contingency in the new year! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I have a similar goal in mind, I purchased the LA conf in hopes to isolate both O.G. LA Affie and Afghani. I have some Afghani #1 on the way from the OG server auction I’m super excited about. It will be interesting for sure. I will document the whole process as well! Cheers!

7 Likes

Great write up. This sounds like you have given it a lot of thought and have a really clear goal in mind. I’m excited to follow this project! :raised_hands:

4 Likes

Damm Brother in feeling special holding these Beans

glad I just read up on these .

23 Likes

Nice write up @Budderton Big fan of the LA Confidential I used to score in the early 2000’s, looking forward to the show :v:t4:

8 Likes

Thanks @Budderton!!! Sounds as a great trip to go on!! I’ll be following…! Congrats! :hugs: :hugs: :clap: :clap: :hugs:

5 Likes

Awesome work with these @Budderton :grinning:

Been a long time since I grew a pure Afghan. I did grow some Afghani from joti outdoors this year, which is really nice, but not quite what I was looking for/expecting. :thinking: I wonder if joti used the sensi seeds Afghani when he made his version.

8 Likes

I suspect a lot of the “Afghani” strains came from that stock." Hunted from a pack of Afghani #1" turns into " brought back from Afghanistan by a soldier" or "collected by pilgrims on the hippy trail":grin:

18 Likes

Nice! Good luck and happy hunting!

8 Likes