Bugs be gone! Help!

Those are definitely a two spotted spider mite IMO. They are fairly common, but difficult to get rid of completely. I’ve never had to deal with them personally, but my dad got them and had to completely reset his grow. He got rid of all his soil, plants, etc, bleached and sprayed everything with isopropyl alcohol, then gave about two to three weeks of spraying alcohol every two to three days.

You did one treatment of neem and that’s not near enough to stop them, it simply slowed them down a bit. You can try a neem/kelp tea on the soil to slow them down, and maybe finish up your current harvest. You can also try the Method-1 PPS (I would be happy to send you some).

The real question is how did they get there in the first place? If you don’t sort that out, they will just come back. If you never brought in any clones or other plants, it has to be coming from you possibly from your yard. You will need to be extra cautious to shower and change clothes when working in the yard before touching your plants.

1 Like

Agreed.
Agreed.
Agreed.

Ninety Nine

1 Like

Salutations LegalCanada,

Hummm… Actually i’m not sure the “vanquished” word sounds accurate.

Lets refresh my memory with one of the very few pictures i managed to keep around, this snapshot shall give hints of the timing:

SpiderMites in my refrigerator (2013-Jan-5)

Not defeated the least bit.

The Borg was quite ready (and well adapted) when i planned this experiment which i later « cancelled » after facing hostility over suggesting CS sprays as a preventive miticide (no eggs can adapt, presumably):

[ www.autoflower.net/forums/threads/the-next-step.28681/page-6#post-641468 ]
AFN: The next step (2014-Jun-25)

My USB microscope arrived kind of late in 2015 i think, which must be why i can’t find proper macro views i guess - but yet the silhouette i saw above still gives me some itchy skin nonetheless…

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

2 Likes

right you are it was ‘Vaporist of Borg’ not ‘Vanquisher of Borg’ i was thinking of :smiley: wow that looks like a lot of mites, please tell me they’re no longer in your fridge :smiley:

1 Like

Here is a blog post that might be helpful… Ill be back with more as work allows…

2 Likes

I want to talk about the bugs life cycle for a minute. This is something I should have stressed earlier. Mites have several stages of life from egg to adult. The eggs will first hatch in approximately three days. Time from larva to adult carries but the female can lay hundreds of eggs in her life time.

The first part is critical. Every three days or so, new eggs will be hatching. You will have to reapply whatever treatment you are using. Every three days. It only takes one female to lay 100s of eggs. You have to break the cycle or they will keep coming back.

After that, you really should implement an IPM schedule. Spray all plants once a week up until week 2-3 flowering.

3 Likes

@LED_Seedz what course of action would you recommend. This may require something non-organic?

1 Like

Never seen any webbing, just spots.

The most I have seen is the two on the one leaf. I never found any until today one the lowest bud. But have had spots for awhile.

Yes that is how they look.

Is this just going to be the tents or the whole finished basement?

I was able to treat a second time before I left for hospital. So adding the neem/kelp meal in the soil doesn’t help? It is in the soil I am using now and I have used a tea every couple week. I have the Method-1PPS as I ordered back when I sprayed at 2 weeks in flower last month.

Good question! I never brought in any clones but did put in a flower plan for the ladybugs but that was after. The yard has been frozen solid all winter and I can’t get to yard work with dealing with DH’s health. But I have brought in peat moss, Malibu compost and worm castings, all bagged
I know the big growers here have had issues and shower and change.
I have seen tiny red thing on the box of rice hauls I had delivered a couple days ago but, different bug I looked at like the Boxelder and Leaf-footed Bugs at the top here, have red at different life stages

If I put the leaves in a clear container in the fridge will the drop out? I spent 2 hours yesterday looking with the loop, than the handheld 60X-120X than dragged down the laptop and plug in scope and didn’t see anything until I pulled of a bud from the bottom. I started looking as I have the led up over 2 ft and still the damage spread.

Please note that my regiment will piss off most, but it is effective and will end any battle and whatever is flowering currently is done as far as any medicine. That said if you would like to save every plant going forward I do have a solid plan, have used it and have no issues playing it forward.

You only need one product and that is Forbid 4F. It is systemic and it is not safe to smoke in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM. Lets be clear here, we are saving these plant and have ZERO intention of flowering these plants.

What we are going to do is cut these back. Spray them three times over the course of 12 days and reveg them. Once we have nice green branches growing back, we will take cuts and flower those.

Sound like fun? Not at all to most but as a collector sometimes you have to do what you need to and this will eradicate the spider mite.

Unless something has changed recently, Forbid 4f is the only miticide that kills both live and the eggs on contact. There is nothing organic about this product but it works. About 90% of everything else out there will have you spending money for months.

I can describe this all in more detail if this is of interest, but the wife is here too take my ass to dinner, so BBL.
Peace

3 Likes

I invited you to a pm.

1 Like

I will be happy to send along more beans if you want.

I promise no bugs.

2 Likes

No idea where as I have nothing.

It is called Soil and It shows I invited you 6 hours ago.

Have you ever seen this in less than 8oz?

Yes on both Ebay and Amazon. Could have sworn I had that link above.

Hmmm

1 Like

Took two Hurks down today. Will take to down tomorrow. Sprayed every thing with Method-1 as I had bought a 2oz bottle. Funny the bottle said to mix with one gallon and that the bottle was not for sale sample all over it. Than I go to the site to see what I paid for the not for sale sample only. Than I see the one gallon is suppose to be made into 64 gal. I must say this has been a learning experience.

2 Likes

The instructions on my bottle, and what I’ve always used, is 2 oz. per gallon. That gallon of spray is good for a month or two. One gallon is 128 oz. so 2 oz. per gallon there too.

1 Like

damn i was going thru 1-2 gallons per application last time but i had fully grown flowering plants. @G-paS might want to spray the top of soil a bit too in case, idk if spider mites hang out in the soil tho

2 Likes

I ment it has a shelf life of a month or two, my bad. Yes I use about a gallon to foliar my garden.

1 Like